Other Minutes: | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 |

2008/12/01

SILVERDALE PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting on Monday 1st December 2008 which started at 7.30pm,
in the Silverdale Institute, Spring Bank, Silverdale.

Present:  Councillors Terry Bond, Tony Houghton, Shirley Mason, Paul Williams, Arthur Graves, John Taylor, City and Council Councillor Sarah Fishwick, P C2866 Tony Marsh and the Clerk.

8936  Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Dorothy Kitson and Eve Holden and the Deputy Clerk Sue Hayward who is currently on sick leave.

8937  Declarations of Members’ interests relating to any items appearing on the agenda. – None.

8938  The Minutes of the Ordinary Council Meeting held on Monday 3rd November 2008 were signed as a true record.

8939  Matters arising from the Minutes of previous meetings, not covered by the Agenda.
a) Re: Minute 8902 – complaint about the implication of the wording. The Council agreed that the words “the Woodlands Hotel and” should be deleted from Minute 8902 and the correction was signed by the Chairman.  The sentence now reads: – Members noted that there is a problem with traffic speeding in the area of Bottoms Lane.
b) Following Mr Russell Henry’s contact with the Council, as Chairman of First Responders; Cllr. Bond has drafted a letter to go to Mr O’Brien regarding the fire services possible involvement with the First Responders.  The Clerk will send.
c) There has been no response from the Probation service about painting the railings in the village. However, the railings are on the Agenda of the meeting of Lancashire Locals, soon to be held at Bleasdale House.
d) Several residents of Silverdale have drawn the attention of the Councillors to the fact that there used to be some allotments on what is now, National Trust land.

8940  Matters raised by Members of the Public for future consideration. Note: Members of the Council are not permitted to respond, except to ask questions for the purposes of clarification only. – None.

8941  Verbal update from the Community Police Officer PC2866 Tony Marsh.
Last month there were five crimes reported: two thefts, two assaults and one of criminal damage.  One of the thefts was of fuel taken from Leighton Moss.  In November last year, thirteen crimes were reported mostly involving cars.
There have been arrests and prosecutions made in connection with the inflammatory leaflets which were distributed in October.
ECSO Hurtley is back on duty.
The police continue to work on parking and speed control, most vehicles have been found to be within the limits.  PC Marsh has been trying to acquire a SPID device, for use in Silverdale, which will indicate driver’s speeds.  The Council asked for the police to keep up their efforts with this.

8942  Relevant matters by City & County Councillor Sarah Fishwick.
a) There have been some complaints about the new H bar, as it is affecting parking in front of the butchers.
b) Cllr. Fishwick has received a letter from Highway Maintenance giving the reasons why the hedges and trees have not been attended to.  Cllr. Bond took the information to read.
c) The train times change in December and it will mean a reduction in trains back to Silverdale.
d) A Warton Parish Council Charity has some funds available and Silverdale residents should also be eligible to apply.
e) Lancashire County Council has some small Grants for young people aged 11-19.

8943  Verbal reports from any meetings attended by Members, or the Clerk (verbal reports are only acceptable where no decision, or action, is required).
Cllr. Bond attended the Manserghs Apprentice Trust Meeting on 19th November 2008 in Warton and found that there is currently money available to apprentices.
There is an AONB meeting on the 2nd December, Cllr.’s Bond, and Williams intend to go.

8944  Planning Matters:
(1)  To note that the following Planning Application was dealt with under the provisions of Standing Order 25, and comment made as indicated: 
a) 08/01271/FUL 65The Row. Alterations to garage to form double garage. No objections made.
b) 08/1260/FUL 51, Emesgate Lane. Erection of rear dormer extension, creation of pitched roof over existing flat roof to rear, erection of detached office to rear with link to dwelling and creation of open porch to front. – No objections made.
(2)  To comment on the following Planning Applications: None.
(3) To note the following decisions notified by Lancaster City Council:
 a) Notice of work to trees St Johns Church. Removal of branches. 08/100/TPO.
 b) Withdrawal of planning 08/1053/OUT 22 Emesgate Lane. Erection of a 2 storey dwelling with garage.

8945  Any action (other than consideration of Planning Applications) taken under the provisions of Standing Order 25 – none.

8946  Correspondence and replies:
a)  Lancaster City Council Special Expenses Consultation; explains proposals regarding the future of the Special Expenses adjustment to Council Tax bills. – The Council has considered the options and requires the Clerk to reply stating that they would prefer Option 1 to be adopted, preferably before the abolition of Special Expenses.
b)  Geraldine Smith writes to inform the Council of a new way of charging for drainage services to village halls with charitable status by United Utilities.
c)  Lancashire Playing Fields Association Newsletter.
d)  A Consultation on Codes of Conduct for local authority members and employees.
e)  LCR Journal –  November 08.
f)  Waymarker Newsletter for Countryside Volunteers.
g)  Clerk and Councils Direct.

8947 The Conclusion of the Annual Audit and the Auditors report. (Copy supplied to each Councillor).
The auditor drew attention to two points:
a) The Asset register should show the value of it’s assets and the Audit report recommends the Council to consider doing this.  RESOLVED that the clerk seeks advice from LALC and the Charity Commission.
b) The Playground should have its own accounts, committee meetings, and the trustees must hold separate meetings with separate agendas and minutes for these meetings. It recommends that charity business is not discussed during council meetings.  

8948  Review of the Registers of Common Land and Town and Village Greens.
The Council believe that “The Common” is Parish Council land.  County Cllr. Fishwick will try and find a map which shows it.  RESOLVED – The Clerk to contact “Land Registry” to find out what is registered.

8949  An update on the restoration of the website.
Cllr. Bond has sent a letter to “the host” enforcing the clerk’s comments that they have restored the old website. The company will not accept this and will do nothing more.  The site cannot be updated as none of the codes work.  The creator of the new website may be able to help but he is not responding to emails.  The Clerk will try to contact him by other means and keep the Chairman informed.  If no contact can be made, consideration may need to be given to starting a new website. The email address is now working but has changed to; clerk@silverdale-pc-lancs.gov.uk
 
8951  The Freedom of information Act and how the Council must comply.
From 1st January, the Council must have information ready for the public to see what information they hold.  The Clerk will put a notice on the notice board to say where the information available is listed and how it can be accessed.  It is hoped that the Post Office and the Library will agree to hold this information.  The Clerk will approach them.

8952  The refurbishment of the War Memorial grounds.
The space has reduced due to the overgrown shrubbery and is not adequate for the numbers attending the ceremonies there.  Contractor Phil Hargreaves has attended a site meeting with Cllr. Bond and the proposals are: to trim back the trees on the left; take out the trees to the rear to which will create approximately 8ft of extra land and to widen the gate.  There will need to be some costings and a design made before it can be taken forward.

8953  Finance
a)  To conduct the monthly check of all money received by the Council (bank statements to be inspected by a Member who is not a Bank Signatory, or more than one such Member). – Nothing new to inspect.
b)  To authorise payment and sign cheques for the following accounts:
BDO Stoy Hayward LLP, audit, cheque no. 600362, £188.
Mr P Hargreaves, contractor, cheque no. 600363, £400.   

8954  Items for Information.
The accident after the last meeting has highlighted some reasons for concern regarding facilities in the Institute building:
a) There was not first aid kit obvious.
b) The fire exit was very hard to open, opens inwards and one needs to have a key to the kitchen to be able to use it.
 The Institute need to be contacted in writing voicing the Councils concerns.

Cllr. Williams and Taylor will prepare documents specifying the requirements of the Council, ready for when contractors will be invited to submit their Tender for the village and playground annual maintenance in the New Year.

8955  The date of the next meeting is Monday 5th January 2008. Items for the agenda to reach the Clerk before 26thth December 2008 and copies of reports before 29th December. 

Mrs Denise Challenor
Clerk to the Council
   

Other Minutes: | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 |