Other Minutes: | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 |

2009/01/05

SILVERDALE PARISH COUNCIL
Draft Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting which was held on Monday 5th January 2009 at 7.30pm, in the Silverdale Institute, Spring Bank, Silverdale.

Present: Chairman – Councillor T.G. (Terry) Bond, Councillors A.W. (Arthur) Graves, E. (Eve) Holden, A.J. (Tony) Houghton, J (John) Taylor and P.N. (Paul) Williams, the Clerk – L.D. (Denise) Challenor, County and District Councillor S.M. (Sarah) Fishwick and 2 members of the public.

8956  Apologies for absence were received from Cllr. S Mason and Cllr. D Kitson, PC 2866 A Marsh,   PCSO Hurtley and  the Deputy Clerk  –  S.D. (Sue) Hayward who is on sick leave.

8957  Declarations of Members’ interests relating to any items appearing on the agenda. – None.

8958  Minutes of an Ordinary Council Meeting held on Monday 1st December 2008 were signed as a true record.

8959  Matters arising from the Minutes of previous meetings, not covered by the Agenda.
a)  8947 Assets.  The Clerk has enquired with LALC who did not have a lot of knowledge but suggested it would be wise to follow the Auditor’s recommendations.  The Clerk has also telephoned the Charity Commission for advice but was asked to write but she has not yet had a reply.
b)  8949  Website.  The website is now fully operational and updating is almost complete, thanks to  Ian Schofield who was able to provide the necessary information.
c)  8925 There has been a reply from Mr O’Brien of the fire service.  Cllr. Houghton and another Councillor will try to meet with the fire and ambulance services.
d)  8925 The Probation office has not replied about painting the white railings in the village.  Cllr. Bond will supply their email address to the Clerk, who will send the letter again. 
e) 8952 War Memorial.  Mr Phil Hargreaves will do the necessary work on the trees.  Cllr. Bond will prepare a tender for the other work.  As regards the gates, it was suggested that the local school children could perhaps be asked to design them. 

8960  Matters raised by Members of the Public for future consideration. Note: Members of the Council are not permitted to respond, except to ask questions for the purposes of clarification only.
          Mrs June Greenfield expressed disappointment that the Council had objected to the plans for the Cove House development, as she had gained the impression that the Council supported the proposals in principle. There were some adjustments to LCC’s Report on Cove House.  Namely that the applicants should be from the Lancaster District and that people from elsewhere with no village resident supporters, will only be considered for residence after six months of one being available, not three as previously stated.  Also that the development will be for people over 65 not 55 year olds.  She stressed the desire to gain the Council’s approval and support, and stated that she would like the Abbeyfield to be the Charity to report to the Annual Assembly.

8961  Update from the Community Police Officer via the Clerk.
Since the last meeting of the Parish Council there have been two crimes reported in the Silverdale area, one being an assault and the other possession of drugs. Both suspects have been arrested. In comparison there were three crimes reported over the same period last year.
Two incidents of anti-social behaviour have been reported, one of which resulted in an arrest for drunk and disorderly behaviour. There has also been suspicious activity in The Row area where a white Rover has been driven slowly back and forth along the road. There were no corresponding crimes reported. Residents are asked to report any suspicious activity to the Police on 01524 63333 (or 999 if an emergency).
In relation to the PACT priorities, regular patrols and speed monitoring/deterrence work has been undertaken resulting in a number of vehicles being stopped.
The Clerk was asked to make the following comments to PC Marsh:
• A Councillor was concerned to see a very smashed up van around Christmas which looked vandalised and had two occupants.
• There was some car speeding witnessed and a wing mirror was broken by the speeding vehicle, which carried on.
• Parking had been awful over Christmas, with inconsiderate car users on both sides of several roads.
• The Council is concerned about anti-social behaviour occurring in the centre of the village.
 
8962  A report of any relevant matters by City & County Councillor Sarah Fishwick.
• Silverdale Shuttle.  Cllr. Fishwick expressed her grave concerns about the threat to the service and said that she will be in discussions about it. 
• Cove House.  Cllr. Fishwick has had another meeting with Councillors and there is a planning meeting on the 12/1/09.
• Special Expenses.  Cllr. Fishwick was told that it is unlawful to vote against scrapping the Special Expenses and there is not going to be a Local Government review. Therefore parished areas will end up paying £15 more on a Band D Council tax bill.
• Cllr. Fishwick drew attention to the fact that the road into Arnside past Arnside Cemetary is going to be closed for maintenance but she is unsure of the dates.  The Clerk will enquire.

8963  Reports from any meetings attended by Members, or the Clerk (verbal reports are only acceptable where no decision, or action, is required).
Cllr. Taylor attended the Nation Trust Meeting and was made very welcome.

8964  Correspondence received since the last meeting:
a)  The AONB write to request a contribution towards their running costs.
b)  Geraldine Smith MP sends a copy of the *reply received from the Chief Executive of Network Rail regarding the issues raised concerning Silverdale Station and offers to discuss the response and if requested attend a Parish Council Meeting in the coming year. (*Copy supplied to Cllrs) – There is a meeting arranged for 6th February and Cllr.s Taylor and Kitson plan to attend, so any action will depend on the outcome of that.
c)  A resident writes to express her concerns about dog fouling and requests signs for Elmslack Lane.  (see item d)
d)  Lancaster CC writes about the introduction of extended powers regarding dog control and include a questionnaire.  (Copy supplied to Cllrs.) – the questionnaire was completed to be returned.  Cllr. Fishwick would like a copy of the questionnaire though she felt measures could not be supported on land not belonging to the Lancaster City Council. 
e)  Lancaster CC invite members of the Council to attend a reception in the Town Hall on 19/3/09 at 7.00pm.Services of the Council will be in attendance. – No one could attend.
f)  Lancaster CC write to inform that they are undertaking a Strategic Housing Land availability Assessment (SHLAA) of the District. Details of all the site suggestions can be viewed from the following website www.lancaster.gov.uk/SHLAA.  (Copy supplied to Cllrs.)
g)  South Lakeland write to inform of their new Local Development Framework. A copy of the plans and discussion paper can be seen at Milnthorpe and Arnside Libraries. Comments to be made by 28/2/08.
h)  Overhead Wires Project – November Newsletter.
i)  LALC Annual Report and Newsletter.
j)  Charity Commission News.
k)  FLAG Newsletter.
l)  LCR Nalc Journal. January 09.
m)  Communities in Control: A consultation of the code of recommended practice on local authority publicity.

8965  Planning Matters:
(a)  To note that the following Planning Applications were dealt with under the provisions of Standing Order 25a, and comments made as indicated:
• 08/01239/FUL  Lulworth, Lindeth Road,.  Amendment to previously approved application no. 08/00012/FUL to include hall extension and stone detailing to raised deck. – No objections.
• 08/01343/FUL RSPB Fairburn Ings, Leighton Moss, Storrs Lane.  Erection of extension to provide new boiler house and underground storage bunker. – No objections.

(b) To consider the following Planning Applications:
• 08/01369/FUL 28 Stankelt Road.  Proposed construction of a detached two car garage and store with a paved terrace. – Council approves on the assumption that this replaces the previous planning approval; if not, then it wishes to reconsider.

(c) To note the following decisions notified by Lancaster City Council:
• Intention to carry out works to trees 08/121/TPO.  Pruning of tree No.423 at 21 Springbank.

8966  The Clerk’s report of any action (other than consideration of Planning Applications) taken under the provisions of Standing Order 25: None.
25(a)  Parish Council Property and Functions – None
25(b)  Non-Parish Council Property and Functions  – None.

8967  Tender for the village and playground maintenance.
,The Clerk with supply the working group with a copy of the previous Tender document, for guidance.  It is intended that the village maintenance will be divided, by putting the Playground work on a separate tender to facilitate the request by the Auditors for the Playground Charity to have a separate account.

8968  Donation to the AONB.  It was decided to donate £600 under Section 137.

8969  Finance
(a)  The monthly check of all money received by the Council (bank statements to be inspected by a Member who is not a Bank Signatory, or more than one such Member). – Cllr. Holden checked and found that there had be one payment in from united Utilities of £77.64.
(b)  To authorise payment and sign cheques for the following accounts:
• A Graves, Christmas tree and bulbs, £52.26, cheque 364.
• P Hargreaves, contractor, £400, cheque 365.
• AONB donation (Section 137), £600 cheque 366.

8970  Parish Council meeting dates for 2009 were distributed. 

8971  The Annual Assembly.  The proposed date is 19th March 2009.  Unfortunately County and District Cllr. Fishwick will be unable attend.  The Clerk is to approach Mr Tony Parker who is Silverdale Railway Stations representative from  FLAG, to be a guest speaker. The Library Service Manager should be invited to attend.  The Chairman will prepare a report.  The Clerk will make a provisional booking for the Green Room.   

8972  Common Land.  The Clerk has made enquiries with Land Registry who say they cannot supply a list of what is registered for Silverdale.  Proof of ownership is needed to register land and the Clerk believes that all that can be registered, has been.  Cllr. Bond is shortly to attend a seminar on this subject; the discussion is therefore deferred until he has gathered more information.

8973 Freedom of Information Act 2005.  The Council agreed to adopt and maintain the model publication scheme under the Freedom of Information Act 2005 as discussed previously in Minute 8951. From 1st January 2009, the website has held the necessary information and the post office is holding the documents required.  A notice of explanation has been placed on the noticeboard.
 
8974 The threatened closure of the Silverdale Shuttle.  The Council expressed their concerns about the reduction of the service and subsequent loss of users.  The Chairman will draft a letter expressing all the concerns and circulate it round the Councillors before forwarding it to the Clerk to send to Mr Maynard at County Hall.

8975 The closure of the footpath at Hazelwood Hall. A letter of complaint has been received from a resident about the closure.  The Council believes that the Concessionary footpath from the Sales car park of Hazelwood Hall is still open and the National Trust has confirmed that public access is not limited.  The old footpath through the wooden door is also Concessionary and not Public right of Way under the 1947 Countryside Act.  

8976  Items for Information (no decisions or action permitted)
The Council was pleased to note that 3000 extra Post Offices will remain as a result of campaigning.
Cllr. Holden has received an acknowledgement for the “Any Questions Form” she completed for the Hospital Trust and has been informed that she will receive a response from the Chief Executive.

8977  Items for a future agendas.  The Tender for Contractors.  Register of Common land. Silverdale Shuttle.

8978  The date of the next meeting is Monday 2nd February 2009. Items for the agenda, to reach the Clerk before Friday 23rd January and copies of reports, to reach the Clerk before Monday 26th January. 

Mrs Denise Challenor
Clerk to the Council
Tel. 01524 761824

Other Minutes: | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 |