2019/12/02

2nd December 2019

12433   Unconfirmed Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Silverdale Parish Council held in the Silverdale Institute on Monday 2nd December 2019.

12434   Present:  Councillors: Chairman – M.J. (Mike) Fletcher, Vice Chairman – J. (John) Bennett, N. (Nigel) Ribbons, S. (Stephen) Wales, T.G. (Terry) Bond, City and Parish Councillor J. (June) Greenwell, A.J. (Tony) Houghton, P. (Phil) Bickerstaff, the Clerk – L.D. (Denise) Challenor, the Deputy Clerk – G.R. (Gill) Ribbons. Visitors – Sgt Lindsay Brown, Carolyne Walsh and 1 member of the public.

12435    Apologies for Absence: County Councillor P. (Phillippa) Williamson

12436    Declarations of Members’ Interests Relating to any Items Appearing on the Agenda:  None

12437    Minutes of the Previous Meeting  The minutes of the Ordinary Meeting held on Monday 4th November 2019 were APPROVED.

12438    Receipt of Information about Matters Arising from the Minutes of Previous Meetings, not Covered by the Agenda 

12412   Cllr Greenwell wished to clarify that the improvements at The Dukes in Lancaster are under consideration only and also subject to planning permission.

12417(c) As approval of planning was only granted on 24/4/18, Cllrs agreed to remain in communication with the project manager and follow progress on the property. 

12422 (b) The Clerk reported that the cheque for Lancaster City Council had been sent as the charge was deemed legitimate.

12422(c)  Plans for Woodwell are not available as the project has not been completed yet. The ducting at Burton Well will be sheathed in the correct black ducting when it is available. 

14242   Cllr Bond reported that the Archbishop Hutton’s Trust needs 8 trustees to continue however his replacement doesn’t have to be another Parish Councillor.  As the other Councillors are already involved with other organisations it was felt appropriate to look for a volunteer from local residents who may wish to be involved.

12426   The Clerk reported that due to illness in the Supplier company the village’s Christmas trees were not yet in place. The trees would have coloured lights not warm white as requested as there have been problems with the suppliers.  Cllrs requested the Clerk to chase this up and try to get a date when the trees would be up.

12439    Matters Raised by Members of the Public for Future Consideration

A member of the public reported that Silverdale School playground had been vandalised Friday night/early Saturday morning.  They expressed an interest in the response of Natural England mentioned in Agenda item 12f).  They also expressed concern at the flooding on the road at Crag foot and wondered if this was due to works undertaken by the RSPB in recent years as historically this hasn’t been a problem. 

 

12440   Police Report  Sergeant Brown gave apologies for Kath Armstrong who was due to attend the meeting.  He explained that she is very busy addressing control room issues. There has been funding granted for a 12 month program of improvements to deal with over capacity.  These include the recent recruitment of 38 operators to answer phones, as these are permanent members of staff they should become familiar with the area, they will also be aware of the What3Words app which Police forces are asking the public to use for identifying location more accurately. There has been an analysis of the call centre which has highlighted out of date procedures and equipment, improvements include a mapping systems update and changes in analysis of mobile phone signal data.   A program of refurbishment is taking place in communications control centre, which has involved moving communications into separate operation rooms for each division, on completion each division will retain a dedicated operator.

Sgt Brown reported that the government will be recruiting 20,000 extra officers nationally over the next few years.  This means in Lancashire there will be 303 in 2020, 150 of which are to replace retirees and a further 400-500 over 2021 and 2022. As a result of the extra recruits there will be an increase in funding for more equipment and vehicles.  A further 10 million will be spent on Taser equipped and trained officers nationally.

Sgt Brown reported that since his last attendance at Silverdale Parish Council meeting there have been 22 calls which resulted in 7 crimes being recorded.  2 calls regarding incidents of anti-social behaviour were received. There were arrests made this week with regard to the recent spate of Catalytic convertor thefts, the perpetrator/s were also responsible for the burglary at Carnforth petrol station.  Following arrests made regarding the theft of a trailer and quad bike a suspended sentence was given apart from one of the perpetrators who was driving whilst disqualified and they received 1 month imprisonment.

Sgt Brown mentioned the Neighbourhood watch scheme which is getting up and running again in the village, this will be supported by the Lancashire volunteer partnership who manage the schemes in the region.  Sgt Brown has a meeting with County Cllr Williamson to find ways to improve the Police’s engagement with local councils. 

Cllr Wales mentioned the cold callers who had been making the rounds recently in Silverdale.  Sgt Brown advised residents not to engage with them or buy from them and if they become threatening to ring the Police who will attend.

Parking was raised as a continuing issue; Sgt Brown had spent time in the village centre recently and commented that it was very busy with many vehicles coming and going, which does however have the effect of slowing traffic through he village centre. However parking problems outside the centre need to be addressed he advocated again to take photos and send them to him through the Police website, he assured Cllrs that repeat offenders will be spoken to.  Cllr Houghton raised the issue of Cumbria Police call centre refusing to log his call and forward to Lancashire Police, Sgt Brown said that shouldn’t have happened and advised making an official complaint.

Cllr Bond raised the recent issue of political banners being tampered with, Sgt Brown said this is part of a wider problem and he will make a report. 

 

12441   Report from Carolyne Walsh, Community Connection Officer   Ms. Walsh informed the Council that hers is a new role; she is 1 of 3 in the district.  Her role is to work with residents, local Councils, the emergency services, schools, community centres and the City Council to help solve issues in the area.  She is a point of contact at City Council who can put you in touch with the right person/people to help with your problem. She gave examples of how she has helped in other parishes.   When her Connector email address is up and running, at the beginning of the New Year, Silverdale Parish Council will publish the details in the Parish magazine and on the Parish Council website. 

 

12442    Report from City Councillor June Greenwell – Cllr Greenwell reported that the general election has slowed down things at City Council.  There is a meeting in January to update the plan of which jobs need doing where in Silverdale by the City Council which should help get things done.

12443  Report from County Councillor Phillippa Williamson – Councillor Williamson was unable to attend the meeting due to last minute work commitments.

12444   Reports on any Meetings Attended by Members or the Clerk – there were none

12445   Clerk’s report of any action (other than consideration of Planning Applications) taken under the provisions of Standing Order 25:

25(a)    Parish Council Property and Functions – none

25(b)    Non-Parish Council Property – none

12446   Correspondence

Receipt of the following items of correspondence was noted and circulated:

a)    George Whittaker’s memorial plaque has gone missing from the playing field. (31/10/19) – the plaque is undergoing restoration.

b)     David Morris MP updates the Council with information about Vodafone’s intentions. (31/10/19) – Council requests he keeps pushing for a mast.

c)    War Memorials Trust Bulletin

d)    Clerk and Council’s Direct

e)    SLDC weekly update, 13/11,

f)   Copy of an email from Natural England regarding the progress with stock grazing at Gait Barrows and the delay in producing the draft Management Plan. (7/11/19)

g)    Re: What3Words (7/11/19).- Invited to come to January 7th 2020 meeting but it’s not possible.

h)    Morecambe Bay. Details of new bird Sculptures. (11/11/19)

i)    A thankyou from the Horticultural Society for the grant to buy daffodils to plant.

j)    Lucy from the AONB writes in response to their funding mentioned in the November Minutes. (14/11/19)

k)    An invitation from the AONB to an event on managing hedgerows for wildlife, on 28/11/19, 10-3pm at Leighton Moss Lunch provided – book a place. (Email14/11/19)

l)  LALC supplies Lancashire Constabulary’s first Crime Newsletter for Lancashire. (Emailed 14/11/19)

m)   Winter Stakeholder Bulletin. (Emailed 19/11/19)

n)    AONB Executive Committee Minutes and Bittern Award Nomination Form. (Emailed 20/11/19)

o)    The Rural Bulletin.  (Emailed 20/11/19 & 26/11/19)

p)    Bus Service Update changes via LALC. (20/11/19)

q)    Flag publication.

r)   A resident of Spring Bank writes about problems exiting onto Stankelt Road and suggests a mirror be erected.  Cllr Ribbons explained the problem and asked Sgt Brown to take a look when he left the meeting.  Sgt Brown also reiterated that Police will speak to repeat offenders. 

12447   Planning Matters

(a)    It was noted that the following Planning Applications were dealt with under the provisions of Standing Order 25:

•                  19/01317/FUL  1 The Chase, Stankelt Road, LAS OUT Conversion of existing to additional living accommodation and erection of a single storey outbuilding to create ancillary accommodation in association with 1 The Chase. (1/11/19)

•                  19/01382/FUL  7 The Green, LA5 0TJ  Erection of a replacement shed to the front.

•                  19/01218/FUL  15 The Row.  Demolition of existing porch, removal of bay window, erection of bay window and porch to the front elevation, construction of a canopy and installation of raised roof to existing rear extension.

      (b)  The following Planning Applications were considered:-

· 19/01433/FUL  14 St Johns Avenue.  Erection of a two storey rear extension and single storey link extension to garage, installation of a pitched roof to existing front porch and removal of a chimney.  Cllr Bennett is preparing a report to comment on this proposal.  Concerns are regarding the scale of the proposed extension and the impact this will have on existing sewage and drainage systems.

12448   Annual Assembly – it was noted that the Annual Assembly will be on 19th March 2020 in the Gaskell Hall.  It was suggested that a Young Person of the village might like to speak about environmental issues affecting Silverdale such as the ‘nurdle’ problem highlighted by Alan Ferguson’s correspondence at last month’s meeting.  It was also thought that the representative of What3Words could speak at the Assembly instead of an ordinary Council meeting. A representative of the Coastal Path committee could also be asked to speak.  Cllrs were asked to submit any other suggestions at the January meeting.

12449   a)  B4RN repayment by BACS of £6850.43 was verified by Cllr Ribbons.

            b) The following payments were authorised cheques signed for the following accounts:

•        Mr M Fletcher, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque 22085

•        Mr T Bond, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque 22086

•        Mr T Houghton Basic Allowance, £25 cheque 22087

•        Mr J Bennett, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque 22088

•        Mr S Wales Basic Allowance, £25 cheque 22089

•        Mr N Ribbons Basic Allowance, £25 cheque 22090

•        Mr P Bickerstaff, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque 22091

•        Mrs J Greenwell, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque 22092

•        Compost Bag Company Ltd, dog waste bags, £290.52, cheque 22093

•        Mr P Williams, toilets, £234.17 SO

•        Envirocare, contractor, £312, cheque 22094

•        Mr T Lambert, contractor, £320, cheque 22095

•        B4RN shares for 3yr period, £7000, cheque 22096

•        Waterplus, toilets, £52.84, bacs

•        AONB donation, £700 cheque 22097

•        M Humphries, Bugler, £25 cheque 22098

•        Silverdale School, S137 agreed, £100 cheque 22099

 

 

            c)  Cllrs signed their receipt for their basic allowance payment of a £25 cheque.

            d)  Cllrs AGREED the requested amount of £100 towards repairs at Silverdale School.

            e)  The B4RN application for 7000 shares at £1 each was signed by the Chairman and the Clerk.

            f)  The budget was AGREED with no amendments and the 2020-2021 precept form was signed.

            g)  AGREED for Malcolm Richardson to be the Internal Auditor for 2019-2020 at a cost of £100.

            h)  The Clerk confirmed that the defibrillators are covered by the insurance policy under Came and Company.

12450   Streetscape  

a)     The Clerk confirmed that the defibrillator maintenance costs can be covered by S137 grants.

b)     Cllrs AGREED that as the Parish Council doesn’t own the land along the Cove side, Cllr Bond would speak to the RSPB regarding a bench. However it was felt that the best plan would be to offer the replacement of the existing bench owned by the Parish Council, with a memorial bench in liaison with Mr Bottoms.

12451   Woodland matters

·       Cllr Bond confirmed that the use of a bracket by the Electricity Company (free of charge) on the 3 cherry trees at Woodwell has been authorised by himself in preference to the trees being felled.  This was APPROVED by Cllrs.

·       Following the site meeting at Woodwell, Cllr Bond advised that positioning the boulders to prevent large vehicle access was a good first move in preventing a reoccurrence of the overnight camping problem, a sign may be unnecessary.  To potentially save money, the Council should continue to monitor the situation and consider erection of a sign in the future. This was AGREED by all Cllrs.

12452   Playground matters

a)     There were no urgent actions required this month.

b)     New issues noted on Parish Contractor weekly inspection reports:

1)     Moss is beginning to build up on some of the wet pour areas – Parish Contractor to clean off with careful pressure washing.

2)     A small section of the stone boundary wall has slipped at the top end of the playground.  It is in an area bounded by a rough grass verge and is well away from areas normally frequented by playground users.  Ownership to be established and repairs organised – The Clerk has asked Bob Walker for a quote for this job.

3)     A large quantity of glass was found smashed in the seating area during inspection on 15th November.  Parish Contractor cleared this.

c)     Other issues ongoing – Multi units.  All but one panel has been replaced on the senior multi-unit, remainder being fitted progressively. (Badly corroded bolts have made the task quite difficult).  Parish Contractor is continuing to fit replacement panels as time and weather permits.

12453  Emergency Plan – There was a run through on Wednesday 27th November, Cllr Bennett thanked everyone that was able to attend.  A report on the run through and a list of minor issues was drawn up by the Deputy Clerk who attended the run through.  It was AGREED for the Deputy clerk to be paid for any extra hours required to carry out further Emergency plan admin duties. The Deputy Clerk to advise the Council for authorisation for every extra 5 hours. It was then AGREED  which Cllrs would be sorting which issues before the end of January.  More urgently –Alan Walker quoted about £100 plus the cost of the replacement fuel, to deal with the whole of the fuel changeover and the oil change on the generator, it was AGREED for him to go ahead next week.  Cllr Greenwell reported that Cove House is required to have an Emergency plan and report it to the Care Quality Commission.  She remained concerned at the lack of response to her communication with the carers; she will follow up on this.  It was AGREED for the Clerk to contact BT with regard to emergency backup power supply for the exchange, which would be required to keep landlines operational in the village in the event of a complete power cut.

The Clerk confirmed there is £453.70 remaining from the grant for Emergency provision in Silverdale.   

12454   External works chart – Priority 3, sewage outflow on the Shore. Councillors were unhappy with the response to the second ‘Freedom of Information’ request.  As well as the Clerk continuing to follow this up, Carolyne Walsh was asked if she could look into this for the Council. 

           

12455   Items for information (no decisions or actions permitted) – Cllr Bond following his attendance at the meeting on Saturday 30th November,  informed the Council that plans for the Eden Project North are moving on – Planning permission may be applied for as early as Summer 2020 with a view to opening in 2023.  Silverdale Council will have to consider the impact of the influx of extra visitors who may choose to visit Silverdale whilst they are visiting the Eden centre north.

Cllr Bennett reported that he had noticed illegal fly posting regarding a requirement for a garage.

12456  Suggestions for Future Agenda Items

1.     Emergency Plan update

12457   Date of Next Meeting

It was noted that the date of the next meeting is Monday 6th January 2020.  Items for the agenda and copies of reports to reach the Clerk before 31st December 2019.

 

Gill Ribbons, Deputy Clerk to the Council

SILVERDALE PARISH COUNCIL

Councillors are hereby summoned, and members of the public are invited, to attend a

Parish Council Meeting on Monday 2nd December 2019 at 7.30pm, in the Silverdale Institute, Spring Bank, Silverdale, for the purposes detailed in the following Agenda:

 

1  To receive apologies for absence.

 

2  To receive declarations of Members’ interests relating to any items appearing on the agenda.

 

3  To approve the Minutes of the Ordinary Council Meeting held on Monday 4th November 2019.

 

4  To receive information about matters arising from the Minutes of previous meetings, not covered by the Agenda.

·        Hutton Trust – resignation of our representative.

 

5  To hear matters raised by Members of the Public for future consideration. Note: Members of the Council are not permitted to respond, except to ask questions for the purposes of clarification only.

 

6  Police – To receive information from Sergeant Lindsay Brown and. Kath Armstrong, the Operations Support Manager for West BCU Force.

 

7  To receive a report from Carolyne Walsh, Community Connection Officer.

 

8  To receive a report of any relevant matters by City Councillor June Greenwell.

 

9   To receive a report of any relevant matters by County Cllr. Phillippa Williamson.

 

10  To receive verbal reports from any meetings attended by Members, or the Clerk (verbal reports are only acceptable where no decision, or action, is required).

 

11  To receive the Clerk’s report of any action (other than consideration of Planning Applications) taken under the provisions of Standing Order 25:

25(a)  Parish Council Property and Functions

25(b)  Non-Parish Council Property and Functions

 

12  To consider the following correspondence and discuss replies as appropriate:

a)    George Whittaker’s memorial plaque has gone missing from the playing field. (31/10/19) – undergoing restoration.

b)     David Morris MP updates the Council with information about Vodafone’s intentions. (31/10/19) – requests he keeps pushing for a mast.

c)    War Memorials Trust Bulletin

d)    Clerk and Council’s Direct

e)    SLDC weekly update, 13/11,

f)   Copy of an email from Natural England regarding the progress with stock grazing at Gait Barrows and the delay in producing the draft Management Plan. (7/11/19)

g)    Re: What3Words (7/11/19).- Invited to come to January 7th 2020 meeting but it’s not possible.

h)    Morecambe Bay. Details of new bird Sculptures. (11/11/19)

i)    A thankyou from the Horticultural Society for the grant to buy daffodils to plant.

j)    Lucy from the AONB writes in response to their funding mentioned in the November Minutes. (14/11/19)

k)    An invitation from the AONB to an event on managing hedgerows for wildlife, on 28/11/19, 10-3pm at Leighton Moss Lunch provided – book a place. (Email14/11/19)

l)  LALC supplies Lancashire Constabulary’s first Crime Newsletter for Lancashire. (Emailed 14/11/19)

m)   Winter Stakeholder Bulletin. (Emailed 19/11/19)

n)    AONB Executive Committee Minutes and Bittern Award Nomination Form. (Emailed 20/11/19)

o)    The Rural Bulletin.  (Emailed 20/11/19 & 26/11/19)

p)    Bus Service Update changes via LALC. (20/11/19)

q)    Flag publication.

r) A resident of Spring Bank writes about problems exiting onto Stankelt Road and suggests a mirror be erected. (Cllrs. emailed 25/11/19)

 

13  Planning Matters:

(a)  To note that the following Planning Applications were dealt with under the provisions of Standing Order 25:

·      19/01317/FUL  1 The Chase, Stankelt Road, LAS OUT Conversion of existing to additional living accommodation and erection of a single storey outbuilding to create ancillary accommodation in association with 1 The Chase. (1/11/19)

·      19/01382/FUL  7 The Green, LA5 0TJ  Erection of a replacement shed to the front.

·      19/01218/FUL  15 The Row.  Demolition of existing porch, removal of bay window, erection of bay window and porch to the front elevation, construction of a canopy and installation of raised roof to existing rear extension.

 

(b)  To consider the following Planning Applications:

19/01433/FUL  14 St Johns Avenue.  Erection of a two storey rear extension and single storey link extension to garage, installation of a pitched roof to existing front porch and removal of a chimney. (Emailed 20/11/19)

 

14  To consider the possible guest for the Annual Assembly and to note the date and venue is 19th March 2020, Main room, Gaskell Hall.

 

15  Finance

(a)  To conduct the monthly check of all money received by the Council (bank statements to be inspected by a Member who is not a Bank Signatory): B4RN repayment by bacs £6850.43

(b)  To authorise payment and sign cheques for the following accounts:

·        Mr M Fletcher, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque

·        Mr T Bond, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque

·        Mr T Houghton Basic Allowance, £25 cheque

·        Mr J Bennett, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque

·        Mr S Wales Basic Allowance, £25 cheque

·        Mr N Ribbons Basic Allowance, £25 cheque

·        Mr P Bickerstaff, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque

·        Mrs J Greenwell, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque

·        Compost Bag Company Ltd, dog waste bags, £290.52, cheque

·        Mr P Williams, toilets, £234.17 SO

·        Envirocare, contractor, £312, cheque

·        Mr T Lambert, contractor, £320, cheque

·        B4RN shares for 3yr period, £7000, cheque

·        Waterplus, toilets, £52.84, bacs

·        AONB donation, £700 cheque

·        M Humphries, Bugler, £25 cheque

 

(c)  To consider the section 137 appeal for £100 to help towards repairs to St John’s School roof. (See email of 14/11/19)

(d)  To sign the B4RN application for 7000 shares at £7000.

(e)  To consider the section 137 appeal for £100 to help towards repairs to St John’s School roof. (See email of 14/11/19)

(f)  Budget – any final amendments.

(g)  To confirm Malcolm Richardson as the Internal Auditor for 2019-2020 at a cost of £100.

(h)  Came & Company renewal documents/end 30/9/20. (Emailed 20/11/19)

 

16  Streetscape

a)     To update on the Defibrillator situation.

b)     To consider the kind offer of a memorial seat from Mr Alex Bottoms for The Cove. (Emailed to Council 14/11/19)

 

17  Woodland Matters

·      Cllr. Bond has been consulted about trees being too close to electricity lines at Woodwell and has found that rather than them being felled, a tree guard can be placed on the tree by the Electricity Company (free of charge) to keep power lines away from them. This has been authorised by Cllr. Bond as member of the Woodland Group.  (7/11/19)

·     To consider ordering the sign as circulated on 21st November, for Woodwell from Signs Express, Lancaster at a cost of £377.72 (including vat) and update on the result of the Councillors. On site meeting.

 

18  Playground – To receive a report on any urgent actions that have been taken and to consider any other issues raised in either the Lancaster CC quarterly or Parish weekly inspections.

 

19  Emergency Plan.  To clarify the course of actions if there is an emergency and consider any matters which may still need attention.

 

20  To consider the updated External Works Chart No. 32. 

 

21  To receive Items for Information.

 

22  To receive items for consideration for a future agenda.

                                                           

23  To note that the date of the next meeting is 6th January 2020. Items for the agenda to reach the Clerk before 31st December 2019.

Signed:

 

L D Challenor

 

Mrs Denise Challenor

Clerk to the Council,  Tel. 01524 761824