Other Minutes: | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 |

2002/09/02

2nd September 2002

 
7057 Minutes: of a meeting of the Silverdale Parish Council held in the Silverdale Institute, on Monday 2nd September 2002.

 
7058 Prior to the start of the meeting, members were addressed by Geraldine Smith MP and this was followed by a ‘questions & answers’ session, plus a discussion. Topics covered included the Code of Conduct, Rural Affairs Group, rural public transport improvements, cancellation of the 0909 bus on service 55, First Responders being asked to pay a £1000 administration fee to the Ambulance Service and the lack of finance for the maintenance of school premises. Geraldine agreed to raise these matters with the appropriate authorities.

 
7059 Present: Councillor Mr C.J. Eden (Chairman), Councillors Mr C.H. Beckford, Mrs S.M. Fishwick, Mrs J. Greenwell, Mr R. Henderson, Mr A.J. Houghton, the Clerk, Police Constable 874 Daley (Community Police Officer) and one member of the public.
7060 Apologies for Absence: Councillor Mr T.B. Fryer and Mr A. Graves.

 
7061 Minutes: The Minutes of the previous meeting held on the 5th August were approved and then signed by the Chairman.

 
7062 Matters raised by Members of the Public for consideration.

No matters were raised.

 
7063 Matters arising from the Minutes of the previous meeting:

There were no matters arising

 
7064 Update from PC 874 Daley (Community Police Officer).

There had not been any significant cases of juvenile disorder and the record of accidents had been negligible during the past month. PC Daley advised that there had been seven crimes in the area, but the Clerk drew attention to a letter received from Lancashire Constabulary (Crime Prevention Department) stating that there had been just two crimes. Members expressed concern about this large discrepancy and PC Daley undertook to look into the matter. There was some discussion about the stopping-up order for part of Wallings Lane and also a complaint about noise and late night drinking in the area between the chemist’s premises and the Balti Restaurant.

 
7065 Report of any relevant matters by City and County Councillor Mrs S.M. Fishwick.

Councillor Mrs Fishwick advised that there would be a demonstration of the new ‘wheelie bins’ on the forecourt of the Gaskell Hall during the morning of Tuesday 10th September. She also stated that Lancaster City Council was considering a change of title to “Lancaster Morecambe and Lunesdale District Council”. Members were unanimous in registering their disapproval and objection to this proposal. Councillor Mrs Fishwick undertook to advise the City Council accordingly.

 

 
7066 Reports on Meetings

There were no reports of any meetings having been held during the past month.

 
7067 Parish Council Web Site.
The Clerk advised that the site is now fully operational and very satisfactory.

 
7068 Parish Plan Grant Application

The questionnaire had been produced and distributed to every household by members of the Neighbourhood Watch Group. The Parish Conference has been provisionally arranged for October 17th.

 
7069 Hall Bookings for Parish Council Meetings 2002

It was noted that the dates of Parish Council meetings during May, June and August 2003 have been revised to: Thursday May 8th, Thursday June 5th and Thursday August 7th, because the Institute is not available on the requested dates.

 
7070 Planning

(1) Application received since the last meeting:

02/00881/FUL – The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds – engineering works to create pools, bunds, ditches, re-profile existing ditches, plus dumping and re-profiling spoil to achieve the creation of a reed bed/fen: NO OBJECTIONS.

(2) Decision notified by Lancaster City Council:

01/01408/FUL – 3 St.Johns Cottages, Emesgate Lane – retention of circular window in gable end: GRANTED

 
7071 Correspondence

Thirty items of correspondence had been received since the last meeting and were tabled for the information of members. The following needed further action:

A letter had been received from Lancashire County Council, concerning the “Integrated Access Demonstration Project” and this had been circulated amongst several members. Councillor Henderson submitted the following suggestions for consideration and it is hoped that other suggestions will be forthcoming:

(a) a footpath link from Eaves Wood Car Park through to the old quarry level crossing, (b) a footpath over Middlebarrow Hill parallel to the County boundary linking to (a) and Arnside Tower path and Holgates path from Elmslack, (c) a ‘horse only’ route from Silverdale Moss Road linking to a new route from Black Dyke Road thereby avoiding having to use the level crossing, (d) a footpath to the bridleway from Jenny Browns Point to Quicksand Bridge, (e) wheelchair access to the cliff tops at Jack Scout, (f) a footpath from Whinney Lots/Knowe Hill along the cliffs and through Jack Scout, (g) footpaths to bridleways from Moss Lane to Challan Hall/Brakenthwaite/Yealand, (h) a footpath link from Townsfield to Emesgate, (i) a footpath to bridleway Fleagarth Wood to (d), and (j) a footpath from Stankelt Road to Hazelwood.

It was agreed that this matter requires considerable thought and discussion. The item will be included on the agenda of the next meeting and, in the meantime, the Clerk will write to request an extension of time for submission of the Parish Council’s observations. The Clerk advised that he is attempting to obtain an up-to-date copy of the definitive footpath map.

 

 
7072 Safety work at children’s playground.

The cost of emergency safety work undertaken by John Graves & Son in respect of the 10ft swings at the children’s playground, amounting to £108 + Vat was retrospectively approved. Approval was also given for the restoration of the modified swings unit.

 
7073 Roof of Bus Shelter

The Chairman reported that he was still awaiting quotations from the two contractors who had been asked to report on the necessary repair works.
7074 Provision of a seat in memory of Mrs Annie Lynch (nee Webster).

The previous suggestion that the seat currently located next to the telephone box in Lindeth Road should be replaced with a new one, dedicated in accordance with the request, had been found to be impractical. It was therefore suggested that the ornate seat down Gibraltar Lane could be moved to the centre of the village and that the existing seat could be offered to the Cricket Club. The Chairman will investigate further.

 
7075 Accounts for Payment

Cheques for the following accounts were signed:

Furness Line Action Group – annual subscription £ 5.00 (876)

John Graves & Son – Playing field works £356.02 (877)

(dismantling swing, removal and modification, grass cutting and removal, flail hedge cutting)

Milnthorpe Printers – leaflets for Parish Plan £ 75.00 (878)

Xenocom eService – Web Site £352.50 (879)

Doug Fishwick – work on Playing Filed £ 55.00 (880)

Gaskell Hall – 2 x hire of Green Room ( 1 x Parish Plan) £ 12.00 (881)

 
7076 Items for Information

(a) The overgrowth of roadside vegetation has still not been cut back. The Clerk advised that he had written to County Highways about this matter on 20th August.

(b) The lamp standard in Stoneleigh Court is still not working and it is still thought possible that it has never been connected to the electricity supply.

(c) There seems to have been a lot of work being undertaken recently by British Telecom, which has involved the provision of extra telegraph poles. This was considered undesirable. The Clerk will contact BT for an explanation.

 
7077 Retirement of Councillor Cyril Beckford.

Councillor Beckford had previously given notice of his retirement, as from September 25th, and the Chairman paid tribute to his work as a Parish Councillor for many years. Members were unanimous in endorsing the Chairman’s words and expressed their thanks for his devoted and effective service. It was noted that the date of retirement had been set to coincide with Councillor Beckford’s 80th birthday and members wished him well.

 
7078 Date of Next Meeting – Monday October 7th 2002
 

Other Minutes: | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 |