2020/11/02

2nd November 2020

12651  Confirmed Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Silverdale Parish Council held online using jit.si on 2nd November 2020.

12652   Present:  Councillors: Chairman – M.J. (Mike) Fletcher, Vice Chairman – J. (John) Bennett, T.G. (Terry) Bond, , A.J. (Tony) Houghton, E. (Liz) Unsworth, City and Parish Councillor J. (June) Greenwell, J. (Jim) Ferguson, S. (Sue) Higham, County Councillor P. (Phillippa) Williamson (from 19:08 agenda item 5), the Clerk – L.D. (Denise) Challenor, the Deputy Clerk – G.R. (Gill) Ribbons.

12653    Apologies for Absence: None.

12654    Declarations of Members’ Interests Relating to any Items Appearing on the Agenda:

 Cllr Bennett declared a non-pecuniary interest in item 12, planning 20/0110/FUL Far Waterslack Road and Cllr Unsworth declared a non-pecuniary interest in item 14u, correspondence.

12655    Minutes of the Previous Meeting  The minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held online on Monday 5th October were approved.

12656    Receipt of Information about Matters Arising from the Minutes of Previous Meetings, not Covered by the Agenda   

12634 – Cllr Bond informed the Council that the tree felling works have not started yet as the Felling Licence is still in progress.  

12657   Police Report  – there was no report available due to the limited time the team have available in the current circumstances.

12658   Matters Raised by Members of the Public for Future Consideration – there were no members of the public present.

12659    Report from City Councillor June Greenwell – Cllr Greenwell had circulated a report to Cllrs before the meeting.

·       Extra bins at the Shore – Cllr Greenwell informed Cllrs that she was not likely to secure more bins until Covid-19 is under control; Cllrs agreed that this was a less urgent issue now due to fewer visitors over winter and to commence pressure on LCC again in spring 2021.

·       Surplus bins for paper/cardboard waste – all City Councillors have been asked if they know of any surplus waste bins that could be transferred to the Council. Cllr Greenwell reported that a group of Silverdale residents have supplied six waste bins that were not being used. She asked that residents please contact her if they know of any other surplus bins.

·       Government Covid-19 grant funding scheme – Cllr Greenwell asked Cllrs to let her know by the next day if they wanted to join an online training session for volunteers who would be willing to support people wanting to apply for financial aid, but who find the application form daunting.

·       The City Council is meeting on Wednesday to debate whether to move forward on plans for a ‘Morecambe Bay Unitary Authority’ incorporating Lancaster, South Lakeland and Barrow districts. 

 Cllr Bennett raised a concern regarding works not carried out by City Council on behalf of the County Council, in particular the triangle at Slackwood which has not been cut and looks an eyesore on entering the village, he suggested that the Parish Contractor cut the grass and SPC bill City Council, Cllrs AGREED and the Chairman requested the Clerk to contact Mr Wain to carry out the works this week as the daffodil bulbs are already starting to come through. Cllr Greenwell will also take the matter up at City Council.

12660   Report from County Councillor Phillippa Williamson – Cllr Williamson’s concerns would be covered by items on the agenda.

12661   Reports on any Meetings Attended by Members or the Clerk – the Clerk drew Cllrs attention to the email from the First Responders. 

12662   Silverdale United Charities – Cllr Greenwell has been in contact with Mr Dobson and will agree a short statement with him for publication in village communications and on the SPC noticeboard. 

12663   Change of SPC meeting time – it was AGREED unanimously to change the start of the meetings from 19:30 to 19:00. 

12664   Planning Matters

(a)    It was noted that the following Planning Applications were dealt with under the provisions of Standing Order 25:

·       20/0192/TP0  2A Stankelt Road.  Sycamore T3 Fell, Beech T2 Remove Branch.

·       20/01059/VCN  RSPB  Leighton Moss, Storrs Lane, Yealand Redmayne.  Alterations to land levels to create ditches, bunds, pools and an island feature and the installation of a sluice to form an area of raised water (pursuant to the variation of condition 4 to allow works to be undertaken between 1 July and 31 March) – No objections to the above.

(b)   The following Planning Applications were considered:-

·        20/0210/TPO  31 Spring Bank, T3, T7, T8 Ash – Fell.  No objections

·        20/01100/FUL  Far Waterslack Road.  Erection of a stable block.  No objections

12665   Clerk’s report of any action (other than consideration of Planning Applications) taken under the provisions of Standing Order 25:

25(a)    Parish Council Property and Functions –  

·       The Clerk had engaged a plumber to fix a problem with the public toilets.

·       The Clerk had instructed the Parish Contractor to cut the verge opposite ‘Hawthorn Bank’ on Cove Road as per a resident’s letter, this work had been approved by the requisite 3 Cllrs.

·       The Clerk had, with Cllrs approval, instructed the Parish Contractor to urgently remove some damaged goalposts at the playground (as reported by a resident) as they were a safety hazard.

25(b)    Non-Parish Council Property – None

12666   Correspondence

Receipt of the following items of correspondence was noted:

a)    SLDC weekly update.

b)    Lancaster City Council is offering grants to support charities and community groups in disadvantaged areas.

c)    The Public Sector Geospatial Agreement (PSGA) Newsletter.

d)    Information from NALC about “The Right to Contest” previously known as “the Community Right to Reclaim Land”.  A questionnaire to complete by 9/10/20

e)     North West Regional Organised Crime Unit inform about a new FREE to use cyber tool called Police CyberAlarm.

f)   LALC forwards a letter which encourages Councils to speak in favour of the Local Electricity Bill by 14th October.

g)     Lancashire County Parish Champion suggested for bike rack grant. It was AGREED for the Parking Working Group to consider and make the application

h)    The Refugee Integration Team at Lancashire County Council is creating a Refugee VCSE Forum, for the voluntary community, and offers a chance to become involved.

i)   Morecambe Bay Partnership encourages the public to vote for funding for a clean-up rubbish day in the bay.

j)   Climate Emergency Review of the Local Plan 2020–2031. Notice that Lancaster City is holding some “virtual drop-in” events. We will soon be airing a short video each day of the week to introduce our themed events, from Monday 19th to Friday 23rd October. 

k)    FOSS forward a response from Northern Railway regarding parking at the station, stating that funding is not available. Cllr Unsworth had been in correspondence with Mr. Robinson of Friends of Silverdale Station (FOSS) and proposed investigating ownership of the land already in use for parking at the station (believed to be Council owned) with a view to SPC taking it over under the ‘Right to Contest’ and making improvements there.  It was agreed for the working group to hold an online meeting to discuss this.

l)   A resident of Hazelwood writes about the hazardous condition of the footpaths and asks for Council’s comments.  

m)   Review of Lancaster’s Local Plan to November 2020.

n)    HM Coastguard responds regarding the Council’s letter alerting them to walkers frequently getting trapped by the incoming tide. (Emailed 16/10/20)

o)    North West Ambulance Service writes to seek the Council’s support in the form of a donation to teach school children how to save lives using CPR. See 12669f

p)    LCR NALC’s Publication.

q)    Three residents express their disappointment at not having Christmas trees over the shops this year but lights round shop windows instead and suggest we look at collection boxes to make the village spectacular in such a difficult time. see 12670b

r)  North West Coastal Access Update, October 2020.

s)    Came and Company News.

t)   A resident writes about an Ash tree which she believes needs felling and wonders who might deal with it. The Clerk was requested to inform the resident that Cllrs did not know to whom the land belonged, but it does not belong to SPC and suggest they try Lancaster City or Lancashire County Council.

u)    A resident writes to ask that we don’t ask for a roundabout at Lindeth Road but slow traffic before this way to the shore is reached. Speeding Working Group is looking at these issues.

v)    A resident writes about potholes. Cllr Williamson has dealt with the pothole issues in Silverdale.

w)  Lancaster County provide information about a consultation for major transport and highways proposals in Lancaster. 

12667   Emergency Plan

a.      Cllrs Bennett and Fletcher reported that the generator had been started successfully and the starter batteries recharged. All paperwork regarding the generator is still current.

b.     Cllr Bennett had circulated a copy of the existing Emergency Plan, the content of which needs reviewing and bringing up to date.

12668   Traffic management consultation – The Clerk reported that the consultation in Arnside was costing £25,000, paid for by SLDC.  This would be gradually paid back through parking charges.  It was AGREED to leave any discussion of Silverdale doing the same, until things return to a more normal state of affairs.  Cllr Bennett informed the Council he has a copy of the survey sent to Arnside residents which he will email to the Clerk if anyone wants a copy for information. 

12669  Finance

a)     No monies received this month.

b)     The following payments were approved,  cheques had been signed for the following accounts:

·        British Gas, toilets, £19.30  bacs

·        British Gas, Clock, £15.54 bacs

·        Paul Williams, toilets, £244 SO

·        Playdale Playgrounds Ltd., Burma beam, £178.76 cheque 22183

·        PKF Littlejohn LLP, external auditor, £240  cheque 22184

·        D Wain, contractor £234.40, cheque 22185

·        Great Oaks Tree Services Ltd, contractor, £585.60 cheque 22186

·        R E Salt & Co Ltd., £109.20 cheque 22187

·        Mr M Fletcher, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque 22188

·        Mr T Bond, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque 22189

·        Mr T Houghton, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque 22190

·        Mr J Bennett, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque 22191

·        Mrs J Greenwell, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque 22192

·        Mr J Ferguson, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque 22193

·        Mrs S Higham, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque 22194

·        Ms E Unsworth, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque 22195 

c)     After discussion it was AGREED for the Chairman to purchase a device to monitor footfall in the toilets at a cost of £200.  The information gained will allow the Council to make an informed decision on the matter next year.  Cllr Houghton pointed out that visitors don’t know the toilets are there and there should be appropriate signage.  The budget was then finalised and APPROVED. It was noted that there will be an increase in the precept next year due mainly to the cost of anticipated works to trees on Parish Council owned land and cost and maintenance of SpIDs.

d)     The Annual Return and notice of Conclusion of Audit having been received and being published as instructed was noted.

e)      AONB – it was AGREED to leave this item until December in the hope of receiving the promised report of works carried out by the AONB.

f)      The CPR group’s request for a £300 donation for Silverdale schoolchildren to receive keyrings or an NWAS billboard was discussed.  It was decided that Cllr Unsworth would discuss the proposal initially with the Head teacher of Silverdale St. John’s primary school.

g)      It was noted that the Annual Returns have been made for 2019 to 2020 for the three charities for which the Council is Trustee: Silverdale Children’s Playground 521323, Public Watering Places 500269 and Public Quarries 500270. 

12670   Working group reports

a)     Speeding group – Cllr Fletcher reported that the SpID has been selected, however it is slightly heavier than the old SpID and County highways have to investigate whether SPC can use the lampposts for these heavier SpIDs.  SPC may have to purchase and erect suitable posts instead.  Cllr Fletcher will keep all Cllrs informed of any progress.

b)     Christmas decorations – the Chairman reported that he now has all the lights and fixings, he will deliver them to the premises which will remain open and other premises which will have to close will be asked if they are willing to put up the lights for the switch on on 28th November, Cllr Bennett reminded the Council that the lights are extremely cheap to run.  It was agreed to see how the display looks this year and to listen to feedback from the residents and consider additional decoration next year. Michael Holgate has said that a tree will go up at The Royal as usual.  The Clerk was requested to make enquiries as to whether the residents near the playground would be willing to provide electricity for the tree there again this year.

c)     Update on Emergency plan is covered under minute number 12667.

  12671   Remembrance Day – numbers at the War Memorial will be limited due to Covid-19 restrictions, this means a maximum of fifteen people at the War Memorial for the Remembrance Day service, and this will be an invited group representing village groups and the Services.  This does not prevent anyone paying their personal respects at another time, and residents are invited to participate by listening for the church bell and standing for the two minutes silence at their front doors. This will enable everyone who wants, to join in the commemoration and stay safe. The bugler will play in the field nearby and the wreaths will be laid.  Our Parish Contractor has clipped the yew and cleared leaves, which he will do again nearer the time.  Unfortunately due to the adverse weather conditions repair to the wall has not been possible.

 12672   Streetscape – after discussion it was AGREED to offer a location on the Shore at Silverdale for the memorial bench which will be in remembrance of a much loved grandmother.  The style of bench being acceptable to the landowner and the purchaser.

12673   Playground matters

      Playground Report.

A.    Urgent actions taken – removal of (non SPC owned) damaged goalposts.

B.    New Issues noted on Lancaster City Quarterly or Parish Contractor Weekly inspection reports

(1)       Stickers have been stuck on the flat-swing unit and are proving difficult to remove – Contractor will remove them.

(2)       The COVID info signs are beginning to wear – replacements may be needed soon, continue to monitor

(3)       Two bench securing brackets have broken. – New brackets being obtained

C.    Other Issues – ongoing

1)     Handle on steps of Junior Multi-unit became loose at fixing points – no further recurrence, item closed.

2)     One cross log and one step post on the Burma trail have decayed to the point replacement is required.  The trail is still safe to use at the moment but is being regularly monitored.  Still waiting for the parts to be supplied from Playdale.

3)     Wooden support posts fixed in ground (Various items of equipment).  Being monitored at each inspection for any further deterioration – None currently at action level

4)      Sections of the top wall require remedial action to stop ivy growing through.  Once this is done, several small sections are likely to require repair – Enquiries as to ownership need carrying out and quotes obtained for the work.

5)     Wet pour safety surfacing.  Some areas have deteriorated during recent hot weather.  Surface still effective and no trip hazards present – Cost for various options to be obtained

12674   Mobile phone coverage – Cllr Unsworth reported on the progress she has made regarding improvement of mobile phone coverage in Silverdale. She has been in most recent contact with Lucie Smith of Digital Mobile Spectrum Limited who are liaising with EE, O2, Vodafone and Three. Cllr Unsworth was pleased to report that that SPC’s concerns regarding lack of mobile signal were now noted by Ofcom and it has also been noted that SPC consider that the Ofcom map showing good coverage in and around Silverdale from all the four providers is inaccurate. Mobile reception is bad to non-existent. Cllr Unsworth requested assurance that Silverdale is included in the recent Shared Rural Network report to Ofcom as an area needing urgent improvement.

 Council considered various locations for a mobile phone mast. Cllr Houghton reported that there is a mobile telephone mast on the edge of the village to which the public does not have network access; it is currently for the use of the Emergency services only. However this mast may soon be redundant as the Emergency services are switching to 5G, coverage from this mast could reach most, if not all, of the village.  It was AGREED for Cllr Unsworth to relay this information to Lucie Smith and to continue to liaise with her. Cllrs were grateful for all the time Cllr Unsworth has spent on this matter already. 

12675   New Councillor’s Email problems – the Deputy Clerk suggested that a former Cllr may have some ideas on how to solve this problem and she would ask him and forward any information that may help. 

12676   Resignation of Deputy Clerk Gill Ribbons – The Chairman thanked the Deputy Clerk; ‘It was with considerable regret that Council accepted the resignation of our Deputy Clerk. Gill has acted throughout her 2 years in this position with diligence, dedication and efficiency. Always available for help and advice, she has supported the Clerk and councillors whenever required with enthusiasm. These qualities will be missed’.

Arrangements were made to interview prospective candidates, with interviews hopefully taking place week commencing 23rd November 2020. 

12677   Items for information (no decisions or actions permitted) – none.

12678  Suggestions for Future Agenda Items

1.     To discuss placement of a siren on Silverdale shore to warn of the incoming tide.

2.     Mobile phone coverage update

12679   Date of Next Meeting

The date of the next meeting is 7th December 2020.  Items for the agenda and copies of reports, to reach the Clerk before 30th November.

Gill Ribbons, Deputy Clerk to the Council

AGENDA – SILVERDALE PARISH COUNCIL

Councillors are hereby summoned, and members of the public are invited, to attend an online Parish Council Meeting on Monday 2nd November 2020 at 7.00 pm on this occasion, for the purposes detailed in the following Agenda: to participate via the internet please ask for a link from the clerk.

 

1.   To receive Apologies for Absence.

 

2     To receive Declarations of Members’ interests relating to any items appearing on the agenda.

 

3     To approve the Minutes of an Ordinary Council Meeting held on Monday 5th October 2020.

 

4     To receive information about Matters Arising from the Minutes of previous meetings, not covered by the Agenda.

 

5   To receive a police report if available.

 

6     To hear matters raised by Members of the Public for future consideration. Note: Members of the Council are not permitted to respond, except to ask questions for the purposes of clarification only.

 

7   To receive a report of any relevant matters by City June Greenwell.

 

8   To receive a report of any relevant matters by County Cllr. Phillippa Williamson.

 

9  To receive verbal/emailed reports from any meetings attended by Members, or the Clerk (verbal reports are only acceptable where no decision, or action, is required).

·        First Responders inform of their difficulties in providing a service and how a Defibrillator is removed from the site to obtain information every time it has been used. (email of 8/10/20)

 

10  Silverdale United Charities. To receive the resignation of Mr Dobson of United Charities and address the filling of the vacancy and consider the role he took and the continuation of it.

 

11  To consider changing Standing Order 1, to start meetings at 7pm

.

12   Planning Matters:

(a)  To note that the following Planning Applications were dealt with under the provisions of Standing Order 25a:

·        20/0192/TP0  2A Stankelt Road.  Sycamore T3 Fell, Beech T2 Remove Branch.

·        20/01059/VCN  RSPB  Leighton Moss, Storrs Lane. Yealand Redmayne.  Alterations to land levels to create ditches, bunds, pools and an island feature and the installation of a sluice to form an area of raised water (pursuant to the variation of condition 4 to allow works to be undertaken between 1 July and 31 March)

 (b) Planning Applications:

·        20/0210/TPO  31 Spring Bank, T3, T7, T8 Ash – Fell

·        20/01100/FUL  Far Waterslack Road.  Erection of a stable block.

 

13   To receive the Clerk’s report of any action (other than consideration of Planning Applications) taken under the provisions of Standing Order 25:

·        Problem with flush in ladies toilet.  Called out plumber.

 

14  To consider the following items of correspondence received since the last meeting and to determine what, if any, action should be taken:

a)    SLDC weekly planning update, (Emailed 30/9, 7/10, 14/10 & 21/10/20.

b)    Lancaster City Council are offering grants to support charities and community groups in disadvantaged areas.(Emailed 30/9)

c)   The Public Sector Geospatial Agreement (PSGA) Newsletter. (30/9)

d)   Information from NALC about “The Right to Contest” previously known as “the Community Right to Reclaim Land”.  A questionnaire to complete by 9/10/20  (Emailed to Cllr 2/10/20)

e)    North West Regional Organised Crime Unit inform about a new FREE to use cyber tool called Police CyberAlarm. (Emailed to Cllrs. 2/10/20)

f)    LALC forwards a letter which encourages Councils to speak in favour of the Local Electricity Bill by 14th October. (Emailed to Cllrs. 9/10/20)

g)    Lancashire County Parish Champion suggested for bike rack grant. (Emailed 9/10/20)

h)   The Refugee Integration Team at Lancashire County Council is creating a Refugee VCSE Forum, for the voluntary community, and offers a chance to become involved. (Emailed to Cllrs 10/10/20)

i)     Morecambe Bay Partnership encourages the public to vote for funding for a clean-up rubbish day in the bay. (Emailed to Cllr.s 10/10/20)

j)     Climate Emergency Review of the Local Plan 2020–2031. Notice that Lancaster City are holding some “virtual drop-in” events. We will soon be airing a short video each day of the week to introduce our themed events, from Monday 19th to Friday 23rd October. Emailed to Cllrs. 13/10/20)

k)   FOSS forward a response from Northern Railway regarding parking at the station, stating that funding is not available.  (Emailed to Cllr. 14/10/20)

l)     A resident of Hazelwood writes about the hazardous condition of the footpaths and asks for Council’s comments. (Emailed to Councillors 16/10/20)

m)  Review of Lancaster’s Local Plan to November 2020.

n)   HM Coastguard responds regarding the Council’s letter alerting them to walkers frequently getting trapped by the incoming tide. (Emailed 16/10/20)

o)   North West Ambulance Service writes to seek the Council’s support in the form of a donation to teach school children how to save lives using CPR. (Emailed Cllrs 13&17/10/20)

p)   LCR  NALC’s Publication.

q)   Three residents express their disappointment at not having Christmas trees over the shops this year but lights round shop windows instead and suggest we look at collection boxes to make the village spectacular in such a difficult time. (Emailed to Cllrs 17/10/20)

r)    North West Coastal Access Update, October 2020. (Emailed to Cllrs. 19/10/20)

s)   Came and Company News. (Emailed 21/10/20)

t)    A resident writes about an Ash tree which she believes needs felling and wonders who might deal with it.  (Emailed 22/10/20)

u)   A resident writes to ask that we don’t ask for a roundabout at Lindeth Road but slow traffic before this way to the shore is reached. (Emailed 22/10/20)

v)   A resident writes about potholes. (See email of 22/10/20)

w)  Lancaster County provide information about a consultation for major transport and highways proposals in Lancaster. (Emailed 22/10/20)

 

15  Emergency Plan –  To update on progress and consider the Emergency Grant Scheme on offer. (Email of 21/10/20)

 

16  To consider whether to approach a traffic management consultant with a view to  improving safety and  parking and whether Lancaster City might be persuaded to support a formal traffic management assessment that should make village roads safer for pedestrians and cyclists. (see JG’s email of 1/10/20)

 

17  a)  To conduct the monthly check of all money received by the Council (bank statements to be inspected by a Member who is not a Bank Signatory, or more than one such Member):   

b)  To authorise payment and sign cheques for the following accounts:      

·        British Gas, toilets, £19.30  bacs

·        British Gas, Clock, £15.54 bacs

·        Paul Williams, toilets, £244 SO

·        Playdale Playgrounds Ltd., Burma beam, £178.76 cheque

·        PKF Littlejohn LLP, external auditor, £240   cheque

·        D Wain, contractor 234.40, cheque

·        Great Oaks Tree Services Ltd, contractor, £585.60 cheque

·        R E Salt & Co Ltd., £109.20 cheque

·       Mr M Fletcher, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque

·       Mr T Bond, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque

·       Mr T Houghton Basic Allowance, £25 cheque

·       Mr J Bennett, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque

·       Mrs J Greenwell, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque

·        Mr J Ferguson, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque

·        Mrs S Higham, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque

·        Ms E Unsworth, Basic Allowance, £25 cheque

      

        c)  To consider whether to keep the Public toilets as a village amenity and to then finalise the Budget for 2021-22. 

 

       d)  To note the Annual Return and notice of Conclusion of Audit has been received and is              being published as instructed.  There are no issues arising.

 

         e)  To consider whether the report from AONB justifies the allocated £350 donation on S137 and whether the Council wish to increase it to the £700 given in past years.

 

         f) To decide whether to contribute to the CPR Group to provide billboards for local schools to inform pupils how to save lives in certain emergencies. (Emailed to Cllrs. 13/10/20)

 

         g)  To note that the Annual Returns have been made for 2019 to 2020 for the three charities for which the Council is Trustee: Silverdale Children’s Playground 521323, Public Watering Places 500269 and Public Quarries 500270.

 

18 Working Group Updates

·        To firm up the Christmas plans. (see report 23/10/20)

·        To update on the SPID purchase. (see report 23/10/20)

·        To update on the Emergency Plan.

 

19   To give an update on changes to Remembrance Day arrangements due to COVID19.

 

20  Streetscape

a)    Benches.  To consider the offer of a bench in remembrance of a loved grandmother and suggest locations. (See email of 12/10/20)

 

21  Playground – To receive a report on any urgent actions that have been taken and to consider any other  issues raised in either the Lancaster City Council quarterly, or Parish weekly inspections.

 

22  Mobile Phone Coverage.  To give a report of any progress.

 

23   IT Matters.  To discuss the problems with new Councillors email addresses and what can be done to aid the efficient functioning. (See email of 21/10/20)

 

24  To acknowledge the resignation of Deputy Clerk Gill Ribbons with regret as from 23/10/20. (one months notice).  To make arrangements to appoint a replacement.

 

25  To note any “Items for Information” (no decisions or action permitted)

 

26  To receive items for consideration for a future agenda.

 

27  To note that the date of the next meeting is Monday 7th December 2020, items and reports to reach the Clerk by 30th November.

      

 

Signed: Mrs Denise Challenor, Clerk to the Council, Tel. 01524 761824