Monday 5th July 2021
12850. CONFIRMED minutes of an ordinary meeting of the Silverdale Parish Council held on Monday 5th July 2021 at 7pm at The Institute, Spring Bank, Silverdale.
12851. Present:
Chairman – M.J Fletcher (Mike), Vice Chairman – J. Bennett (John)
County Councillor P Williamson (Phillippa) – leaves the meeting after item 12863 d)
City Councillor – J Greenwell (June), Police Sergeant L Brown (Lindsay) – leaves the meeting after item 12863 c) Parish Councillors – J. Ferguson (Jim), S. Higham (Sue) A Houghton (Tony), E. Unsworth (Liz) Clerk – L.D Challenor (Denise), Deputy Clerk – K. Lambert (Katie)
12852. Apologies for Absence –– Parish Councillor T Bond
12853. Declarations of Members Interests
• Item 12861 b) Planning Application 21/00691/FUL – Cllr Bennett and Cllr Unsworth both declared association with the applicant and will refrain from comment.
12854. Approval of the Minutes from the Previous Annual Council Meeting- The minutes of the Ordinary Parish Council meeting held at the Silverdale Institute on Monday 7th June were APPROVED by Council and passed to the Chairman for signing.
12855. Matters arising from the Minutes of the Previous Meetings, not Covered by the Agenda; a) 12847 c) – Bright Agreement – The Clerk received an email from the National Trust on 23/6/21 in response to the request for information to say they will endeavour to get the document to the Parish Council however due to the restraints of working from home, access to some documents are restricted at present.
12856. Matters Raised by the Public for Future Consideration – two members of the public were in attendance and raised their concerns regarding the following issues:
a) Highlighted errors within the minutes / agendas when referencing Lancaster City or Lancashire County Council.
b) Whether the Transport Management Plan is available for public view.
c) Lack of a connection to the village from the train station
d) A single speed limit is needed throughout the village and one for the whole of an AONB area. e) Bins outside the Blossom Bird are being used by some residents for personal malodorous refuse. f) Safety concerns over the grass verges not being cut, particularly on Slackwood Lane.
12857. Police Report – Police Sergeant (PS) Brown was in attendance tonight and gave a brief outline of how the role of the police has changed throughout the pandemic. For the first half, demand for the service was at an all time low so they were able to increase foot patrols. Now however, the demand on the service is at an all time high with the majority of work being enforcement of the Covid regulations and call outs to concerns for safety. Crimes reported in Silverdale over the last month have been: 1 minor assault, 2 malicious communications, 1 sheep killed by dog, a road traffic accident involving a deer, an abandoned car plus a number of concerns for safety. Cllr Houghton enquired as to whether the Lancashire Constabulary were aware and use the Herbert Protocol when dealing with the concerns for safety with dementia. (The Herbert Protocol is a form which can be filled in advance with key information appertaining to the missing person, so the information does not have to be repeated or remembered in times of stress). PS Brown is aware of the protocol and confirmed it is in use. The constabulary also work closely with Dementia Friends and the Community Safety team to help with repeated interventions. Cllr Bennett raised the recent vandalism to the public toilets but as he has been unable to log the incident through the 101 service, PS Brown was unaware of the incident. Cllr Bennett to log the incident through the online portal and PS Brown will follow it up. PS Brown thanks the Council for their work in helping with the Bank Holiday traffic management and confirms the plan for police presence on the next bank holiday is in place.
Signed:…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. Date:…………………………………
12858. Report of Relevant Matters from County Councillor Phillippa Williamson – Cllr Williamson was pleased to be in attendance and whilst there was nothing of further to add to the agenda, she did reiterated her availability should the Council need help with any matters of concern arising. Cllr Bennett questioned the position of County Council in
relation to the cutting of verges as none have yet to take place in Silverdale and whether the Parish Council’s understanding is correct that County Council contract the work out to City Council and that they have received monies in order to carry this work out. Cllr Williamson believes this to be her understanding as cutting is happening elsewhere in the County but will check and confirm as to whether monies have been sent.
12859. Report of Relevant Matters from City Councillor June Greenwell – A report was circulated to Cllrs ahead of the meeting outlining the following matters to which no further questions were raised:
a) Re-establishment of the Shuttle Bus Service – following its support in the latest village survey Cllr Greenwell has requested information from County Council as to when a proposal would need to be submitted if a service was to be operating in the next financial year. Cllr Bennett has comments to add regarding the matter however will leave until item 12868.
b) Bay Unitary Authority Proposal – no decision has been announced, despite indications this would be in the Spring. Furthermore, no information about a likely time for a decision has yet been received by City Council. c) Planning Application at 25 Townsfield – Cllr Greenwell requested to have this application referred to the Councillors’ Planning Committee for a final decision if it would otherwise be approved by officers. This would give Cllr Greenwell the opportunity to speak to City Councillors regarding the concerns of the Parish. This request has been accepted, Cllr Greenwell to forward to Parish Cllrs for information a copy of her appeal request.
d) Boundary Commission Review of Parliamentary Constituencies – As part of that review, a consultation is now running to get feedback on proposed new boundary lines and constituency names. If the Commission’s proposals are approved, they will significantly change the boundaries of THE Morecambe and Lunesdale constituency. Cllr Greenwell is currently working through the Commission document and invites Cllr’s to discuss the number changes proposed.
12860. Verbal Reports from any Meetings of Relevance Attended by Members, or the Clerk, Circulated Before the Meeting and Not Listed Elsewhere in the Agenda – none to report this month.
12861. Planning Matters
a) Planning Applications dealt with Under the Provisions of Standing Order 25:
1) 21/00412/FUL, 25 Townsfield – Erection of a two-storey detached dwelling and detached garage with associated access and hardstanding plus installation of package treatment plant. (Emailed 3/6/21) – A lengthy response has been submitted which is available to be read online.
2) 21/00570/FUL, 2B Stankelt Road – Conversion of existing garage to form additional living space, erection of a single storey rear extension and construction of a detached garage (Emailed 7/6/21) – No objections. 3) 21/0106/TPO, Woodlands Hotel, Woodlands Drive – Proposal to fell x2 Ash (T1 and T2) (Emailed 8/6/21) – No objections.
b) Consideration of the Following Planning Applications:
1) 21/00691/FUL, Barn Cottage, 6 The Green – Erection of a greenhouse (Emailed 19/6/21) – No objections
12862. Clerks Report of any Action (other than consideration of Planning Applications) Taken Under the Provisions of Standing Order 25 – no actions taken this month.
12863. Working Group Update
a) Footpaths – Cllr Fletcher reported on continued progress on closer association with the AONB. Dougie Watson of the AONB will be co-opted onto the Highways Maintenance, Woodland Mazement, Playground and Footpaths Working Groups.
b) Emergency Plan – A first edit has been circulated to Cllrs for comment and a final draft will be completed within the next few weeks and circulated for approval. A test run of the generator is planned for later this month.
Signed:…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. Date:…………………………………
c) Welcome Back Street Decorations – Cllr Fletcher still awaits the final approval from County Highways to hang the bunting on the lamp posts but has a basis of an agreement on the proviso the bunting does not cross the highway. The WI have volunteered to make wreaths for the Christmas period, Cllr Fletcher and Cllr Bennett have worked on an interchangeable alteration to the 14 Christmas Tree brackets to enable a wreath to be securely hung as well as hanging baskets should these be provided by the Welcome Back funding. The Gaskell Hall have agreed to cover the costs of the alteration on their brackets and Cllrs AGREED to a budget of up to £250 for the rest of the alterations together with a suitable sprayer for watering.
d) Silverdale Transport Management Plan – Following lengthy discussions over whether the plan needed further consultation periods and resident approval it was AGREED by all Cllrs for the plan to be retitled ‘Initial Transport Management Plan’ so as to make it clear that it is a working document and consultations with the village will be ongoing. Cllr Greenwell emphasised that it is a golden opportunity within County Council to initiate change as the Government have money to spend and that the working group should be praised for their enormous effort to move the matter forward and initiate change. It was AGREED for the retitled document to be sent to County Councillor P Williamson, PS L Brown and to Lancaster City Council’s Economic Development Officer for comment. Cllr Williamson will highlight the report to the Cabinet Member to Transport to review with County Highways officers and feedback any comments.
e) Proposed Toilet Renovations – Cllr’s AGREED the access to Ladies toilet needs changing however before any works can begin, confirmation of land ownership and responsibilities need to be confirmed with City Council. The Clerk to write to City Council for confirmation of the boundaries and the land owners. For the repairs to the fencing, Cllr’s AGREED it is not a requirement for it to be 2m high, just present enough to define a boundary. Cllr Ferguson to provide a quote for the works and submit to form part of the works schedule for the Welcome Back Fund. Still awaiting the amended quotation for the electrical repairs from Clarkson Electrical, the Clerk to chase and forward onto City Council for procurement through the Welcome Back fund. Following the recent vandalism to the toilets, alternative fittings for the toilet rolls were suggested and should be able to form part of the Welcome Back funded works. The immediate overall appearance of the toilets to be addressed, D Wain to be instructed to remove the weeds and tidy the area. Thr Clerk together with Cllr’s Higham, Ferguson, Bennett to meet the following day to discuss the repairs needed to the door and frame following the vandalism and to confirm a schedule of work for the Welcome Back funding.
12864. Streetscape and Highways Maintenance
a) SPIDS – Highways have now given a definitive weight of 20kg for a SPID to be used on the existing poles. As no lighter alternative has been found which is both within budget and that gives the same high, technical specification as the Elan Cite model, Cllr Bennett has proposed to council two solutions involving the batteries. If the lead-acid batteries within the Elite were replaced with a lithium alternative, they are not only are a fraction of the weight, they also have a longer life span, are quick to charge and more efficient in colder weather. Whilst this means a 50% increase in the initial purchase cost, the overall lifetime costs would be significantly lower given two could be placed within the SPID versus only one of the lead-acid meaning a reduced cost of the contractor’s time to replace and recharge the batteries. The net cost of the SPID with the lithium battery will be £2,798.76 and was AGREED by council.
b) Highways Maintenance – A formal request has been made to Highways to cut the rapidly growing foliage in the Slackwood triangle and to attend to the 1m verge on the corners at Slackwood Lane, Stankelt Road and Bottoms Lane near the cemetery. Council have cleared much of the debris along Slackwood Lane and Stankelt Road earlier in the year to make the cut-back easier. A copy of the request has also been sent to the AONB who supports the Parish with such tasks.
12865. Playground Matters – Cllr Bennett circulated a report to Cllr’s ahead of the meeting: a) Urgent Actions – None to report this month
b) New Issues Noted on City Council’s Quarterly or the Parish Contractors Weekly Inspections – None reported
Signed:…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. Date:…………………………………
c) Ongoing issues:
1. Picnic Bench – A Clifton bench from Glasdon has been identified as a robust replacement as it uses a heavy gauge recycled material and are through bolted together. Cllr’s AGREED to the purchase of the bench from the playground surplus fund at a net cost of £544.64. Its siting is to be decided and confirmed by the Working Group as concerns were raised that the old site at the top of the playpark is unsuitable as adults are unable to supervise their children on the equipment.
2. Zip Wire – The cable, fittings and seat assembly were successfully fitted by Playdale w/c 14/6/2021. 3. Rotten Post on Burma Trail – Cllr Bennett has requested a quote from Playdale for a replacement post which the Parish Contractor would then fit. Once received will be circulated to Cllrs for approval.
12866. Finance
a) For the monthly check of monies received by the Council, bank statements were circulated to Cllrs ahead of the meeting and the following verified;
• £2,615.58 – Receipt in from Lancaster City Council in respect of the public toilets
• £79,523.33 – to be the balance on the Current Account on 23/06/21
b) The payments to the following accounts were approved and required cheques signed; • British Gas (toilets) – £16.64 BACS
• British Gas (clock) – £15.55 BACS
• L D Challenor (x3 months’ salary + expenses) – £1,314.58 CHQ 022253
• K Lambert (x3 months’ salary + expenses) – £411.34 CHQ:022254
• HMRC (PAYE for LDC) – £302.82 CHQ:022255
• Iclean (toilets) – £251.55 CHQ:022256
• Great Oaks (contractor) – £643.20 CHQ:022257
• D Wain (bus shelter repairs) – £630 CHQ:022258
• D Wain (Parish Contractor £400.30 + £694.75) – £1,134.75 CHQ:022259
• Compost Bag Co. (dog waste bags) – £508.42 CHQ:022260
• Playdale Playgrounds (VAT on two proforma invoices) – £271.66 CHQ:022261
c) To note the accounts from 01/04/21 to date have been received together with the Financial Statement for July 2021 and were circulated to Cllrs ahead of the meeting. No further comments were received. The External Auditor acknowledged receipt of the accounts and Council await their response.
12867. Correspondence – Receipt of the following items of correspondence were noted: a) SLDC weekly planning update (Emailed 2/6, 9/6, 16/6, 23/6)
b) A resident has written to express his concerns regarding inconsiderate parking around the Gaskell Close area and makes suggestions to improve the situation. (Emailed 3/6/21) – Cllr Unsworth to draft a response to the resident and to forward a copy of his concerns to Police Sgt Brown.
c) SELRAP member’s update. (4/6/21)
d) LCR publication.
e) A resident has written about the care and maintenance of the footpaths. (8/6/21) – Cllr Fletcher has responded to the resident.
f) Energy Northwest has written about their meeting on 25th June, on how to create and finance carbon zero communities. (Emailed 9/6/21)
g) Concern expressed about early morning shooting being heard between Arnside and Silverdale and of a dead bird found near the shore, with a request for action to prevent further shooting. (Email forwarded to Cllrs. 20/6/21)
h) NALC write to ask the Parish Council to write to their MP’s asking them to help promote and progress the Local Electricity Bill. (See email of 22/6/21) – vote has already taken place.
i) Parish Online Newsletter. (Emailed 22/6/21)
j) The Rural Bulletin. (Emailed 22/6/21)
k) FLAG publication.
Signed:…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. Date:…………………………………
l) Lancashire County Council email to provide information on Ash dieback, saying it is the landowners responsibility to ensure affected trees are not a danger to the public. (emailed 25/6/21) – Whilst there may be delays due to confusion over land ownership, County Council have an obligation to keep the highways safe and can carry out the work if there is a danger so the concerns need to be pressed, particularly with regards to New Road in-between Silverdale and Warton. Cllrs to put a request together with details of known landowners to Cllr Williamson to follow up with the relevant Cabinet Member.
m) Summer Parish and Town Council Newsletter. (Emailed 29/6/21)
12868. Shuttle Bus Service Connecting the Village to the Train Station – Following comments on the recent village surveys, Cllr Greenwell has made contact within County Council to explore if there would be funding available for such a service and if so what would be the timetable and process. Following a lengthy discussion, it was AGREED by Cllrs’ that this is an option which needs exploring however given the lack of use of the current bus service which took an awful lot of work to re-establish, any Working Group that is formed should be named along the lines of Local Transport Solutions so as to not limit thinking on options available. Cllr Greenwell agrees the need to look at what the village would actually use, not just what they think we should have. Lots of innovative alternatives available and happy to explore in more detail once confirmation is received on whether it could be a possibility.
12869. Future Ash Die Back – matter covered in item 12876 l)
12870. Level Crossings and Future Closures – Cllr Bennett is awaiting a suitable date to meet with Network Rail to discuss forthcoming closures. Will report back to council once more information is available.
12871. Community First Responders (CFR)
a) Maintenance of the Defibrillators – Cllr Ferguson has raised concerns over the responsibility for the maintenance of the defibrillators and the following up of any faults or works needed as the Lindeth Road defibrillator has been out of action for a few months. Whilst the CFR’s are an autonomous body, it was AGREED that the Parish Council has a moral obligation to the village to ensure a vital voluntary service has the support when needed. Cllr Fletcher is the CFR’s point of contact for the Parish Council which is to be reiterated to them by the Clerk.
b) Current status of the Defibrillators and Point of Contact – Cllr Houghton has followed up on the reported fault on the defib on Lindeth Road. He has now received a replacement of the faulty part however is still waiting for a new battery, a problem nationwide according to the manufacturer. Cllr Houghton also contacted NWAS for a spare, but none are available meaning the unit remains out of action. The Clerk to raise further questions with the organisation so as the council can get a better understanding of its current status and roles within. It was noted that number of reported CFR trainees have withdrawn their names due to the exceptionally long delay progressing their training, a matter Cllr Ferguson suggested could be followed up with County Councillor P Williamson.
12872. Record of Actions Required and Jobs to be Completed – Cllr Ferguson is concerned issues are raised within meetings for action then never followed up. Believes a record or list of action points needs to be brought to every meeting, discussed then updated each time. Cllr Bennett to resurrect the External Works Chart used effectively in
previous years. With regards outstanding jobs for the Parish Contractor, a monthly list of works was discussed giving priority to clearing the vegetation around the toilet block and to fixing Mr Scurr’s shed which the Clerk will email to D Wain for action, weather dependent.
12873. Items for Information
a) Cllr Unsworth notes the PTA at Silverdale school are to hold a Festival in Day next year in hope to raise funds for the school and for new equipment in the playpark.
b) Cllr Greenwell notes City Council are meeting soon to discuss the effectiveness of the sensors within the waste bins which indicates to City when they are full. As these work off a mobile signal, Cllr Greenwell has indicated to the Council Officer that they must take into account the mobile coverage within an area, notably Silverdale.
Signed:…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. Date:…………………………………
12874. Suggestions for Future Agenda Items
• Whether to agree to the Increase in fees for space within the Silverdale Parish Magazine.
12875. Date and Time of Next Meeting – The date of the next meeting is to be Monday 2nd August 2021. Items for the agenda and copies of reports to reach the Clerk by Monday 26th July.
Signed:…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. Date:…………………………………
Councillors are hereby summoned, and members of the public are invited, to attend an Ordinary Silverdale Parish Council Meeting on Monday 5th July 2021 at 7.00pm, at the Institute, Spring Bank, Silverdale; for the purposes of the following Agenda (please adhere to the Covid regulations of the day):

1. To receive apologies for absence.

2. To receive declarations of Members’ interests relating to any items appearing on the agenda.

3. To approve the Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 7th June 2021.

4. To receive information about matters arising from the Minutes of previous meetings, not covered by the Agenda.

5. To hear matters raised by Members of the Public for future consideration. Note: Members of the Council are not permitted to respond, except to ask questions for the purposes of clarification only.

6. To receive a report from the Police if available.

7. To receive a report of any relevant matters from County Councillor Phillippa Williamson.

8. To receive a report of any relevant matters by City Councillor June Greenwell.

9. To receive verbal reports from any meetings attended by Members, or the Clerk (verbal reports are only acceptable where no decision, or action, is required).

10. Planning Matters:
(a) To note that the following Planning Applications were dealt with under the provisions of Standing Order 25:
• 21/00412/FUL 25 Townsfield. Erection of a two storey detached dwelling and a detached garage with associated access and hardstanding and installation of package treatment plant. (Emailed 3/6/21) – Lengthy response submitted.
• 21/00570/FUL 2B Stankelt Road, Silverdale. Conversion of existing garage to form additional living space, erection of a single storey rear extension and construction of a detached garage. (Emailed 7/6/21) –No objections.
• 21/0106/TPO Woodlands Hotel, Woodlands Drive Proposal : 2 x Ash (T1 and T2) – Fell. (Emailed 8/6/21) – No objections
(b) To consider the following Planning Applications:-
• 21/00691/FUL Erection of a greenhouse. Barn Cottage, 6 The Green, Silverdale

11 To receive the Clerk’s report of any action (other than consideration of Planning Applications) taken under the provisions of Standing Order 25.

12 Working Groups
• To record the progress made to further the Emergency Plan towards completion and the testing of the equipment.
• To make a decision whether to adopt the Silverdale Transport Management Plan and if so, to submit it to Lancashire County Highways and Lancaster City Council.
• To make decisions about the toilet renovations as listed to Cllrs. on 28/6/21


13 Streetscape
• To update on the SPID situation.
• To update on any other items covered by this title.

14 Playground
To receive a report on any urgent actions that have been taken and to consider any other issues raised in either the Lancaster CC quarterly, or Parish weekly inspections.

15 Finance
(a) To conduct the monthly check of all money received by the Council and record the current account balance (bank statements to be inspected by a Member who is not a Bank Signatory, or more than one such Member).
Lancaster City Council (for toilets) – £2615.58

(b) To record/authorise payment and sign any cheques for the following accounts:

• British Gas, clock, £15.55, Bacs
• British Gas, toilets, £16.64 Bacs
• L D Challenor, salary/expenses 3 months,£1314.56 cheque 022253
• K Lambert, salary/expenses 3 months, £411.34 cheque 022254
• HMRC, paye for LDC, £302.82 cheque 022255
• iclean, toilets, £251.55 cheque 022256
• Great Oaks Tree Services Ltd., contractor, £643.20 cheque 022257
• D Wain, contractor, (outside tender) bus shelter repairs, £630 cheque 022258
• D Wain, contractor, £440 and £694.75 = £1134.75 cheque 022259
• Compost Bag Co. dog waste bags, £508.42 cheque 022260
• Playdale Playgrounds Ltd. vat on 2 proforma invoices £271.66 cheque 022261

(c) To receive the accounts to date from 1/4/21 and the Financial Statement for July 2021.

16 To consider the following items of correspondence received since the last meeting and to determine what, if any action should be taken:
a) SLDC Weekly planning update (Emailed 2/6, 9/6, 16/6, 23/6/21)
b) A resident writes to express his concerns regarding inconsiderate parking around Gaskell Close area and makes suggestions to improve the situation. (Emailed 3/6/21)
c) SELRAP members update. (4/6/21)
d) LCR publication.
e) A resident writes about the care and maintenance of the footpaths. (8/6/21)
f) Energy North West writes about their meeting on 25th June, on how to create and finance carbon zero communities. (Emailed 9/6/21)
g) Concern expressed about early morning shooting being heard between Arnside and Silverdale and of a dead bird found near the shore, with a request for action to prevent further shooting. (Email forwarded to Cllrs. 20/6/21)
h) NALC write to ask the Parish Council to write to their MP’s asking them to help promote and progress the Local Electricity Bill. (See email of 22/6/21)
i) Parish Online Newsletter. (Emailed 22/6/21)
j) The Rural Bulletin. (Emailed 22/6/21)
k) FLAG publication.
l) Lancaster County Council provide information on Ash dieback, saying it is the land owners responsibility to ensure affected trees are not a danger to the public. (25/6/21)
m) Summer Parish and Town Council Newsletter. (Emailed 29/6/21)

17 To consider the bus service which connects the railway station to the village.

18 To decide what needs to be done regarding future Ash dieback.

19 To consider the discussions on level crossings and whether the Council should do anything about the possible forthcoming closures.

20 First Responders.
• To consider what can be done to ensure that First Responders are dealing with the maintenance of the Defibrillators and reporting any issues which may prevent their efficiency to the Parish Council. (See Cllr. Ferguson’s email of 10/6/21 and Cllr. Houghton’s of 26/6/21)
• To record whether both the machines are back in action and note who the first point of contact is, when there is a need.

21 To propose keeping a record of which jobs have been completed by the Working Parties and Contractor over the month and list those proposed for the future and by whom, with intended completion time.

22 To note any “Items for Information” (no decisions or action permitted)

23 To receive items for consideration for a future agenda.

24 To note that the date of the next meeting is August 2nd 2021 Items for the agenda and copies of reports to reach the Clerk by 28th July.

Denise Challenor (Mrs)
Clerk to the Council. Tel. 01524 761824