2022/01/06

Thursday 6th January 2022
12997. CONFIRMED minutes of an ordinary meeting of the Silverdale Parish Council held on Thursday 6th January
2022 at 7pm at the Silverdale Village Institute, Spring Bank, Silverdale.
12998. Present:
Chairman – M. Fletcher (Mike), Vice Chairman – J. Bennett (John)
Parish Councillors – T. Bond (Terry), J. Ferguson (Jim), K. Reed (Keith), E. Unsworth (Liz)
Clerk – L.D Challenor (Denise)
Deputy Clerk – K. Lambert (Katie)
Leader Lancashire County Council and County Councillor for Lancaster Rural North – P. Williamson (Phillippa)
Lancaster City Councillor – J. Greenwell (June)
Police Sergeant (Lancaster and Morecambe)- L. Brown (Lindsay)
12999. Apologies for Absence – Cllr Higham due to a family emergency and Cllr Houghton due to a prior
commitment.
13000. Declarations of Members Interests – None
13001. Approval of the Minutes from the Previous Ordinary Parish Council Meeting – The published unconfirmed
minutes of the ordinary Parish Council meeting held at the Silverdale Village Institute were amended with the
correct date of 6th December and were APPROVED by Cllrs and passed to the Chairman for signing.
13002. Matters arising from the Minutes of Previous Meetings, not Covered by the Agenda:
a) 12978 a) – Bright Agreement – a copy of the 1983 Deed of Gift has now been received however the front
cover references 3 prior covenants to which Cllr Unsworth is unable to locate within the received document.
Cllrs AGREED to seek the engagement of a conveyancing solicitor to assist in the understanding of the
agreement. Cllr Unsworth to approach Oglethorpe, Sturton and Gillibrand of Kirby Lonsdale, who were the
original company involved, for a price to be circulated to Cllrs for agreement.
13003. Report of Relevant Matters from Police Sergeant (PS) L Brown – Thanks given to PS Brown for his attendance
at the meeting to give a verbal report:
a) Reported incidents in Silverdale – only 6 incidents were recorded last month, an extremely good outlook for
the village: 3 missing persons, 2 domestic and 1 of anti-social behaviour of children kicking a ball against a
wall. With regards the burglary at the Methodist Church last month, all lines of enquiry have now been
followed but a final result has not been reached, the case will now be filed.
b) Service overall – incredibly busy over the festive period, the Rural Task Force has been engaging in cross
boarder checks and drink-driving stops which will continue into January. Pleased to report cross-border
crime seems to have been displaced into areas south of Lancaster but wanted to make the parish aware of
the increase in reports of fly-tipping in Over Kellet which may present itself in Silverdale and so for residents
to be aware.
c) Questions from Cllrs – Cllr Bennett asked for clarification as to whom residents should contact if they witness
fly tipping? PS Brown confirmed that if they are witnessing a crime in action then 999 but if it is just that it
has occurred then City Council is always the first port of call either through the online portal on their website
or by calling their Customer Services team on 01524 582491. Cllr Bennett then enquired about suspicions of
fly tipping and whether these are welcomed? PS Brown clarified that suspicious is not merely a tipping truck
in the vicinity or parked-up, but one seen perhaps out of hours with contents such as waste building
materials, waste mattresses, furniture or worn tyres and that such suspicions are always welcome as they
help build a picture for the police, 101 would be the number to use in such cases. Cllr Ferguson enquired
about the recording of Highway incidents and whether they are only recorded if injury has occurred. PS
Brown confirmed that unless injury has occurred it would go no further than the incident log.
63
Signed:…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. Date:…………………………………
13004. Report of Relevant Matters from Lancashire County Councillor Phillippa Williamson – Thanks given to County
Cllr Williamson for her attendance at the meeting to give a verbal report:
a) Meeting with Lancashire County Highways – carried on the discussion for another half an hour after the
meeting had finished as keen to keep the dialogue going. Thanked the Cllrs for such a comprehensive
document as the Initial Transport Management Plan and hopes to have a preliminary response back within
the next couple of weeks. Feels the meeting was very positive and that is has come at an opportunistic time
with the forthcoming budget plans currently in discussion.
b) 2022/23 Budget – the meeting to discuss the County budget will be taking place on 17th of February, overall,
the finances are in a better position compared to many Councils and so are looking at where they can make
savings rather than having to cut services as over 70% of the budget goes towards adult and child social care.
County Cllr Williamson does envisage a Council Tax rise but estimates it to be no more than 3.9%.
c) COVID – following a briefing with Dr Sakthi Karunanithi, the Director of Public Health for Lancashire, the virus
should peak in the district within the next 7-10 days with the main issues all around abstraction as over 40%
of the Facilities Department have been affected. It has been estimated for it to be another 4-6 weeks before
the situation resembles any sort of normality but thankfully, Central Government have given councils a lot of
flexibility.
d) Cross-County Deal – a huge amount of work has been undertaken since May 21 amongst the 15 county
leaders to find a way to work more effectively together without instigating local government reform. If
Lancashire can present to central government a credible partnership between its councils, it could mean
billions of extra funding and they feel they are now at the stage where each council leader can present a set
of principles for their council to debate and hopefully approve, which if happens, will be the first time since
1974. A meeting will be taking place on the 24th of January with papers being published on the 14th to
review the principles from which they would look to have a credible proposal to Central Government within
the next 12-18 months.
13005. Report of Relevant Matters from Lancaster City Councillor June Greenwell – December was a quiet month
with regards meetings so no report to circulate to Cllrs, however Cllr Greenwell does envisage there will be a lot to
talk about next month both in respect of the County Deal as discussed by County Cllr Williamson, as well as the
budget. Cllr Greenwell wanted to give her personal view on what she envisions as a huge opportunity for real change
that the cross-county deal proposes and hopes to see, if successful, that such investment could see a rise in the pay
rates for females in the district, which appear to have been amongst the lowest since the 1980’s. City Council will
meet next month to discuss the stance they will be taking on the proposed principles and Cllr Greenwell foresees a
lot of heavy reading over the next few months but welcomes the opportunity.
13006. Verbal Reports from any Meetings of Relevance Attended by Members, or the Clerk, Circulated Before the
Meeting and Not Listed Elsewhere in the Agenda – Cllr Bennett, Cllr Ferguson, Cllr Houghton, Cllr Reed and Cllr
Unsworth attended an online meeting today alongside County Cllr Williamson and a representative from County
Highways to discuss the pressing issues in the Parish. Once the minutes have been received, a report of the meeting
will be circulated to Cllrs for comment at the next meeting.
13007. Matters Raised by the Public for Future Consideration – no members of the public were in attendance.
13008. Correspondence – Receipt of the following items of correspondence were noted:
a) SLDC weekly update (emailed 2/12, 9/12, 16/12, 22/12, 29/12/21)
e) Trading Standard alerts (emailed 2/12/21)
f) Parish & Town Council newsletter 2021 (emailed 10/12/21)
g) The Rural Bulletin (emailed 14/12/21)
h) Notification of the closure of Junction 36 of the M6 from 10/1/22 for 5 weeks for resurfacing (emailed
22/12/21)
i) Consultation with the Parish Council regarding the decoration of the electricity box at the level crossing with
artwork to discourage vandalism, two options given using drawings from St Johns Primary School (emailed
25/12/21) – Cllrs AGREED to object strongly on the grounds of road safety as it would cause a significant
distraction to drivers approaching the level crossing and that the artwork would be a large, incongruous

64
Signed:…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. Date:…………………………………
and unnatural addition in the AONB and contrary to the work carried out over recent years to remove
signs and other unnatural items and features. Along with the objections, suggestions for an alternative
site at the Railway station to be proposed and that the box is painted in a suitable muted colour, using
anti-graffiti paint, such that it will fade into the background as much as is realistically possible.
13009. Planning Matters:
a) The following planning applications dealt with under the provisions of Standing Order 25:
i. 21/01214/FUL (Amendment) – Silverdene, 21A The Row (emailed 6/12/21) – Erection of a single storey
rear extension, erection of a first-floor front extension, alterations to roof and construction of veranda
with balustrade to the front elevation, installation of replacement windows/doors, widening of existing
access and enlargement of parking area. Support with concerns, response emailed to Planning 13/12/21
b) Consideration of the following Planning Applications:
i. 21/01479/FUL – 13 Spring Bank (emailed 21/12/21) – Demolition of existing conservatory, construction of
a dormer extension to the rear elevation, installation of replacement cladding to existing rear dormer
extension, installation of 3 rooflights to the front elevation and 1 rooflight to the rear elevation and the
installation of new windows and doors to the front, rear and side elevations. Support with concerns,
response emailed to Planning 30/12/21
ii. Electricity North West gives Notice of Proposed works to the Electricity line at Lindeth Road. (6 weeks
from email of 23/12/21 to object.) – not a planning matter as exempt from the Electricity Act 1989 by
falling within paragraph 3 (1)(e) of The Overhead Lines (Exemption) (England and Wales) Regulations
2009
13010. Clerk’s Report of any Action (other than consideration of Planning Applications) Taken Under the Provisions
of Standing Order 25 – None to report.
13011. Working Group (WG) and Street Scape Matters:
a) Toilets:
i. 2022/23 Cleaning Tender – Once again, Cllr Ferguson fervently disagrees with the spend on
providing dog waste bags, particularly given the current high increase of living costs facing residents.
Other Cllrs feel they were introduced following complaints from the residents about the amount of
dog waste and that they have contributed to its reduction throughout the village. Cllrs AGREED for
there to be a 3-month trail starting from 1st March where they will not be provided and for a survey
to be published for the same time frame to give residents the option to answer a simple YES or NO
as to whether they wish for the continuation of supply. Whilst it is too late to alter the budget for
2022/23, if the trial results in the ceasing of the provision, the money will be reallocated. With the
trial in mind, the tender document will reflect this by requesting for a monthly price for the
replenishment of the dog waste dispensers. The tender to also include the provision of a COSHH
Register for all the chemicals purchased and its update as and when required. The Clerk to alter the
tender document and forward to Cllrs for approval.
ii. Risk Assessments – Ahead of the meeting, Cllr Ferguson emailed through to Cllrs a provisional Risk
Assessment document for the toilets only whilst the newly formed working group works on a more
comprehensive copy. Cllrs AGREED to the contents of the draft document.
b) Emergency Plan:
i. B4RN Generator – following enquires by Cllr Higham, Martin Lang from B4RN has emailed Cllrs to
confirm the generator does work and that a spare can of fuel is always available for potentially long
outages. B4RN continually monitor the hub power supply, the present load and estimated run time
on the batteries, which is approximately 4hrs. When their monitoring system alerts to a power cut
their first call will be to Electricity North West to get an estimate of the down time which is then
compared to the estimated battery run time. Whilst they are confident they are able to keep the
HUB live in the event of a power outage, unless the individual houses have a UPS power supply to
their router, they will not be able to receive their internet connection. Cllrs feel residents may not be
65
Signed:…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. Date:…………………………………
fully aware of the requirement for the UPS system and will request further information and
recommendations from B4RN.
ii. Map of the electricity supply – Cllr Bennett has agreed to request details of the supply from
Electricity North West to be included in the Emergency plan.
iii. Community Volunteers – Cllr Fletcher and Cllr Unsworth are currently working on the details of an
advert to publish in the Parish magazine and on Facebook, for 30/40 volunteers to help identify the
needs of the vulnerable in the event of an emergency. Once finalised, will circulate to Cllrs for
approval. Cllr Unsworth is also looking into contacting the Neighbourhood Watch for the village to
see if their volunteers are able to offer their services.
iv. Lessons from Storm Arwen – the implementation of volunteers and a map of the electricity supply
should enable the Parish Council to be better informed should another emergency happen.
Following any major incident, the feedback from volunteers will be gathered and amendments made
to the plan if required. Currently the Emergency Plan is only implemented in the event of a complete
power outage, however Storm Arwen has highlighted the Parish Council need to manage exceptions
on what can be offered in the event of a major emergency.
c) SPIDS – Still waiting for County Highways to attach the new brackets however given the demand on the
service at present and staff shortages brought about by COVID, the work has not been viewed a priority.
Given they have insisted on fixing the new brackets as they own the lampposts, Cllr Bennett believes the
above to appalling as the SPIDS need to be in operation ASAP as the warranty may be up before Highways
get round to it. Cllr Bennett brought the matter up in the meeting with Highways today and their
representatives will contact the Lighting Department to try and expediate the matter.
d) Review of the Christmas decorations – Only positive feedback received, the elves were a huge success and
the two winners will be soon announced on Facebook. Almost all the elves have been returned and so will
definitely be back for Christmas 2022. Letters of thanks to be sent to all the businesses and residents who
participated in making the village festive this year. The 2 boxes which housed the Christmas trees are to be
used as summer planters and permission has been given to keep them outside the Gaskell Hall until
required.
13012. Finance:
a) For the monthly check of monies, a bank statement was given to Cllr Ferguson who verified the following:
i. £127.05 – receipt in from Electricity North West (annual wayleave payment) – to be allocated to the
Playground fund)
ii. £47,067.57 to be the balance on the Current Account on 20/12/21
b) The payments to the following accounts were approved and required cheques signed:
i. EDF Energy (toilets) £28.00 BACS
ii. EDF Energy (clock) £16.00 BACS
iii. L.D Challenor (salary & expenses) £1,338.06 CHQ:622306
iv. HMRC (PAYE for L.D C) £302.82 CHQ:622307
v. David Smith (Ivyleigh tree work) £75.00 CHQ:622308
vi. Silverdale Institute (meeting room hire for 2021) £112.00 CHQ:622309
vii. K. Lambert (salary & expenses) £496.64 CHQ:622310
viii. Lancaster City Council (well clearances) £312.00 CHQ:622311
ix. North West Air Ambulance (donation under Section 137) £300.00 CHQ:622312
x. SELRAP (annual membership) £15.00 CHQ:622313
xi. Westmorland Tree Care Ltd (tree work) £720.00 CHQ:622314
xii. Thomas Graham & Sons Ltd (cleaning supplies) £32.17 CHQ:622315
xiii. i-clean (toilets) £251.55 CHQ:622317
xiv. J Bennett (reimbursement for electrical parts and other sundries for Xmas decs.) £87.49 CHQ:622316
c) 2022/23 Budget – the final budget of £46,692 was AGREED by Cllrs and for the precept request for
2022/2023 to be signed by the Chairman, Cllr Fletcher, Vice Chairman, Cllr Bennett and Clerk, Denise
Challenor.
d) Internal Auditor for 2021-2022 – Mr Malcolm Richardson will act as the Internal Auditor for 2021-2022 for a
confirmed fee of £100.00 plus expenses.
66
Signed:…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. Date:…………………………………
e) Financial Summary of Accounts for January 2022 –a complete list of payments and receipts was circulated to
Cllrs ahead of the meeting along with a financial summary, indicating a current overspend of £2,600. A
donation to AONB still needs to be agreed, however due to illness, a report of works carried out in the Parish
is still outstanding but has been assured will be with the Cllrs within the next week.
f) Repair to wall by entrance to War Memorial – Cllr Bennett spotted a bulge in the wall and upon further
inspection discovered a parting of the joints. Whilst the wall appears to be stable for the moment, a quote
has been requested for its repair to C Burrows and will circulate to Cllrs for consideration once received.
g) Insurance claim for damage following Storm Arwen – Parish Council insurers will not satisfy a claim unless
the Parish Council has been shown to be negligent and so the residents would need to claim off their own
insurance company.
13013. Development of a Health and Safety Policy and associated Risk Assessments – Cllrs AGREED to the formation
of a new working group consisting of Cllr Bennett, Cllr Bond and Cllr Ferguson to discuss and construct such
documents to cover the playground, public toilets and other Parish Council owned amenities and land. Cllrs AGREED
the documents are in urgent need and first drafts to be circulated in the coming months.
13014. Playground Matters – Cllr Bennett circulated a report to Cllrs ahead of the meeting which confirmed no
urgent actions were carried out last month. Following the report of the quarterly inspection by Lancaster City
Council, Cllr Bennett met with City Council to discuss the required maintenance works in the playpark and for their
department to supply a quote for completion. Once the quotation has been received, Cllr Bennett will circulate to
Cllrs for consideration.
13015. Appoint of James Bennetts as a Member of the Limited Liability Company of the Alms Houses in Warton
Charity – Due to the forthcoming incorporation of the charity, Mr Bennetts seeks the approval of the Parish Council
to remain its appointee, a role he has been fulfilling for the past 4 years. Cllrs AGREED to the appointment.
13016. Community First Responders – Following the issues raised in December’s meeting with regards the lack of
training available to willing volunteers, PS Brown has since provided the Parish Council with a new contact at NWAS
(North West Ambulance Service) which Cllr Ferguson will take forward. Cllr Williamson was reminded of her offer of
assistance last month to which she will endeavour to fulfil this month.
13017. List of works for D Wain – a few jobs from last year remain outstanding including the fitting of a door stop at
the public toilets and at the playground the removal of the Christmas lights and modifying the top stones. Cllr
Bennett and the Clerk to discuss all outstanding works and forward to D Wain for completion.
13018. Suggestions for Future Agenda Items:
a) Review of the Parish Cllr’s meeting with County Highways on 6th January
b) Review the published papers for the Lancashire-wide County Partnership proposal
c) AONB donation
d) The Queens Jubilee celebrations and how best to commemorate as a Parish
e) Progress of the new village website
f) Results of the Bus and Future Transport survey
13019. Items for Information:
a) A final draft of the visitor’s leaflet has been circulated to Cllrs for final amendments before going to print.
b) A final draft of the text for the information sign has been circulated to Cllrs for agreement before being sent
through to the designers.
13020. Date and Time of Next Meeting – The date of the next meeting is to be Monday 7th February 2022. Items
for the agenda and copies of reports to reach the Clerk by 10am on Monday 31st January 2022

SILVERDALE PARISH COUNCIL
Councillors are hereby summoned, and members of the public are invited, to attend a
Parish Council Meeting at 7pm on 6th January 2022 at The Institute, Springbank for the purposes detailed in the following Agenda:

1 To receive apologies for absence.

2 To receive declarations of Members’ interests relating to any items appearing on the agenda.

3 To approve the Minutes of an Ordinary Council Meeting held on 6th December 2021

4 To receive information about matters arising from the Minutes of previous meetings, not covered by the Agenda.

5 To receive a Police Report if available.

6 To receive a report of any relevant matters by City Councillor June Greenwell.

7 To receive a report of any relevant matters by County Cllr. Phillippa Williamson.

8 To receive reports from any meetings attended by Members, or the Clerk (these reports are only acceptable where no decision, or action, is required):

9 To hear matters raised by Members of the Public for future consideration. Note: Members of the Council are not permitted to respond, except to ask questions for the purposes of clarification only.

10 To consider the following items of correspondence received since the last meeting and to determine what, if any, action should be taken:
a) SLDC weekly update,(Emailed 2/12/21, 9/12, 16/12,22/12, 29/12/21)
b) Trading Standard Alerts, (Emailed 2/12/21)
c) Parish & Town Council Newsletter 2021. (Emailed 10/12/21)
d) The Rural Bulletin. (Emailed 14/12/21)
e) Notification of Junction 36 of the M6 being closed from 10/1/22 for 5 weeks for resurfacing. (Emailed 22/12/21)
f) Consultation with the Council regarding the electricity box at the level crossing being decorated with some artwork, two options given. (Emailed to Councillors 25/12/21)

11 Planning Matters:
(a) To note that the following Planning Applications were dealt with under the provisions of Standing Order 25:
• 21/01214/FUL Silverdene, 21A The Row. Erection of a single storey rear extension, erection of a first floor front extension, alterations to roof and construction of veranda with balustrade to the front elevation, installation of replacement windows/doors, widening of existing access and enlargement of parking area. (Reconsultation – emailed to Cllrs. 6/12/21) Support with concerns, emailed to planning, 13/12/21.
Planning Applications:
• 21/01479/FUL 13 Spring Bank. Proposal : Demolition of existing conservatory, construction of a dormer extension to the rear elevation, installation of replacement cladding to existing rear dormer extension, installation of three rooflights to the front elevation and one rooflight to the rear elevation, and the installation of new windows and doors to the front, rear and side elevations. (Emailed to Cllrs. 21/12, suggested response 30/12/21)
• North West Electricity gives Notice of Proposed works to the Electricity line at Lindeth Road. (6 weeks from email of 23/12/21 to object.)

12 To receive the Clerk’s report of any action (other than consideration of Planning Applications) taken under the provisions of Standing Order 25:

13 Streetscape Working Parties
a) Toilets
• To confirm the revised Tender document is acceptable and ready to publish as the new Tender starts 1/4/22.
• To organise a Risk Assessment for the toilets.

b) Emergency Plan.
• To update on the situation regarding the generator at St John’s Church being kept maintained and operational for emergencies and having received a response (emailed 8/12/21), to the Parish Council’s enquiries, to decide on any action required.
• To update on progress on getting info from the Electricity Board regarding the split in the electricity circuit in the village.
• To inform of any progress on arranging volunteers for each street. (See email of 22nd December)
• To discuss lessons learnt from Storm Arwen and to update the initial claim for storm Arwen damage with the insurance company.

c) Spids.. To update on progress in getting Lancashire CC to fit the brackets for the new SPIDs.

d) Christmas Decorations To review the provision of Christmas decorations in the village.

14 Finance
(a) To conduct the monthly check of all money received by the Council (bank statements to be inspected by a Member who is not a Bank Signatory, or more than one such Member.
(b) To authorise payments and sign cheques for the following accounts:
• EDF, toilets, £28, Bacs
• EDF clock, £16, Bacs
• D Challenor, salary & expenses £1338.06
• HMRC, paye for LDC, £302.82
• David Smith, Ivyleigh tree work, £75 cheque
• Silverdale Institute, £112, cheque
• Katie Lambert, salary & expenses, £496.64, cheque
• Lancaster City Council, well clearances, £312, cheque
• North West Air Ambulance, donation under Section 137, £300 cheque
• SELRAP, membership £15 cheque
• Westmorland Tree Care Ltd. Tree work, £720, cheque
• Thomas Graham & Sons Ltd, £32.17 cheque
• i-clean, toilets, £251.55 cheque
• J Bennett, electrical parts, £87.49 cheque

(c) To confirm the final Budget of £46,692 and authorise the signing of the precept request for 2022/2023.

(d) To record that Mr Malcolm Richardson will act as Internal Auditor for 2021-2022 for a fee of £100 plus expenses.

(e) To receive any comments on the Financial Summary of Accounts for January, 2022.

(f) To consider the repair needed on the Memorial site wall. (Photo emailed 3/12/21)

15 To consider the development of a Health and Safety Policy, together with associated Risk Assessments for the following: 1) Playground 2) Public Toilets 3) Other PC owned land/facilities such as; Woodland, Wells, Parish Clock site, War memorial site, Benches and Bus stops etc

16 Playground
To receive a report on any urgent actions that have been taken and to consider any other issues raised in either the Lancaster CC quarterly, or Parish weekly inspections

17 To decide whether the Council wishes to appoint James Bennetts as a Member of the Limited Liability Company of the Alms Houses in Warton Charity or propose an alternative person. (See email of 18/12/21)

18 Community First Responders. To to review and record any feedback from Sgt Brown and County Cllr. Williamson, regarding the cover available from the First Responders.

19 To form the list of work for the contractor Dave Wain.

20 To receive items for consideration for a future agenda
.
21 To note any “Items for Information” (no decisions or action permitted)

22 To note that the date of the next meeting is at the on 7th February 2022 at 7.00pm Items for the agenda, to reach the Clerk before 31st January.

Signed:

L D Challenor

Mrs Denise Challenor, Clerk to the Council, Tel. 01524 761824