2022/02/07

Monday 7th February 2022
13021. CONFIRMED minutes of an ordinary meeting of the Silverdale Parish Council held on Monday 7th February
2022 at 7pm at the Silverdale Village Institute, Spring Bank, Silverdale.
13022. Present:
Chairman – M. Fletcher (Mike), Vice Chairman – J. Bennett (John)
Parish Councillors – T. Bond (Terry), J. Ferguson (Jim), S. Higham (Sue), K. Reed (Keith), E. Unsworth (Liz)
Clerk – L.D Challenor (Denise)
Deputy Clerk – K. Lambert (Katie)
Lancaster City Councillor – J. Greenwell (June)
Police Sergeant (Lancaster and Morecambe)- L. Brown (Lindsay)
13023. Apologies for Absence – County Cllr P Williamson due to her attendance at another Parish Council meeting
and Cllr T Houghton due to work commitments.
13024. Declarations of Members Interests – Cllr Bennett will refrain from comment with regards the quote for the
repair to the wall at the memorial site as the contractor has recently carried out works for him personally. Cllr
Higham will refrain from comment with regards the correspondence item 13032 g)
13025. Approval of the Minutes from the Previous Ordinary Parish Council Meeting – The published unconfirmed
minutes of the ordinary Parish Council meeting held at the Silverdale Village Institute on 6th January 2022 were
APPROVED by Cllrs and passed to the Chairman for signing.
13026. Matters arising from the Minutes of Previous Meetings, not Covered by the Agenda – none
13027. Report of Relevant Matters from Police Sergeant (PS) L Brown – Thanks given to PS Brown for his attendance
at the meeting to give a verbal report:
a) Reported incidents in Silverdale – No crimes were recorded in the village since the last meeting, however 11
incidents were reported; 1 garden fire, 2 address checks for missing people, 2 missing people, 2 phishing
emails, 2 drink driver reports, 1 malicious communication and 1 suspicious vehicle on Shore Rd whereby the
occupants reported people taking pictures of a house. Details of the vehicle were provided, however the
police were unable to identify the persons reported as the vehicle is registered to a house with multiple
occupancy.
b) Service overall – the cross-border checks have been taking the Rural Task Force into South Cumbria and
whilst this may be removing resources from the district, it is demonstrating that the force is willing to pursue
these rural crimes, regardless of borders.
c) Questions from Cllrs – Cllr Fletcher requested, if possible, for PS Brown’s attendance at next month’s Annual
General Meeting. Cllr Ferguson requested further details of the car reported in the suspicious activity so the
village residents can notify if seen again (blue 2020 plate Mercedes). Thanks also given to PS Brown for the
NWAS contact which has proven very helpful in securing training dates for the volunteers in Silverdale.
13028. Matters Raised by the Public for Future Consideration – four residents attended the meeting and raised the
following:
a) Planning application 21/00412/FUL, 25 Townsfield – all residents raised impassioned objections to the
application on several grounds; its unneighbourly position which would leave surrounding gardens with little
privacy and sunlight, the siting of the double garage and water treatment plant on a flood plain, its
contravention of many of the AONB DPD requirements which may lead to a precedent being set, the
increase in its footprint and dominance within its location, the urban nature of the design, the insufficient
access space for emergency vehicles unless a National Trust hedge be removed.
b) Silverdale visitors leaflet – disappointed to find that in the history section there is no mention of the Quarries
or their assistance in the development of Tarmac.
c) Bus survey – did not feel this to be a constructive survey as did not consider its use by tourists.
13029. Report of Relevant Matters from Lancaster City Councillor June Greenwell – a report was circulated to Cllrs
ahead of the meeting highlighting the significant developments that have taken place within the City Council since
January’s meeting:
a) Eden North – the Planning Committee has approved plans for the proposed Eden North development at the
south end of Morecambe Promenade, a truly transformative project for one of the most deprived areas of
the district. The Project will not only provide around 280 permanent, well paid positions but will also work
closely with local schools to encourage knowledge of its sector and future careers within.
b) Greater Lancashire ‘New Deal’ – the City Council have formally agreed its ‘in principle’ support to the deal
which demonstrates that City Cllrs see this option as potentially offering significant benefits for Lancaster
district’s residents and businesses, but also recognises that it would not be wise to make a firm and final
commitment until further information is available.
c) New Mayor – Cllr Joyce Pritchard was selected mayor elect unanimously by City Cllrs and will replace the
current mayor, Cllr Mike Greenall, in May. It has been 6 years since a female Cllr has been selected for the
role.
d) 2022-23 budget – The City Council has not yet formally approved details of its proposed budget and related
Council Tax charge proposals.
e) Lancashire Resilience Forum survey – Cllr Greenwell will be responding to the survey and wanted to be
informed if the Parish also intends to respond.
f) Road sweeping – whilst the vehicle has been in the Parish, its impact has not been noted. Cllr Bond raised
the concern that as it is left so long between visits, the leaves become so compounded on the pavements
that the sweeper has little effect. Cllr Greenwell believes there to be a timetable for street clean visits and
will endeavour to find a copy to forward to the Parish Council for reference.
13030. Report of Relevant Matters from Lancashire County Councillor Phillippa Williamson – none
13031. Verbal Reports from any Meetings of Relevance Attended by Members, or the Clerk, Circulated Before the
Meeting and Not Listed Elsewhere in the Agenda – none
13032. Correspondence – Receipt of the following items of correspondence were noted:
a) South Lakeland District Council weekly planning list. (6/1, 13/1, 20/1, 26/1/22)
b) Information about a list of Grant makers. (8/1/22)
c) LALC contacts about ‘Village Hall’s Week’. (12/1/22)
d) Information on the Community Food Grant Scheme. (13/1/22)
e) Information about Kickstart; a scheme open to people aged 16-24 that are currently claiming Universal
Credit and are at risk of long-term unemployment. (Emailed 13/1/22)
f) A poster showing a list of organisations which give help to those with mental health issues. Contact the Clerk
if you wish to receive a copy. (13/1/22)
g) A resident writes to complain about water being pumped from a building site and left to puddle outside a
house on Lindeth Road. (Emailed 17/1/22) – Cllrs understand this to be a one-off incident but request for
the resident to inform the Parish Council should it occur again.
h) Offer of a £300 grant towards another defibrillator from UK charity London Hearts. (Emailed 21/1/22)
i) Notice that the 2022 Annual General Meeting of Broadband for the Rural North Ltd will be held online on
Thursday 17th February at 7pm with Audited Accounts available for 2020/21 from 24/2/22. (Emailed
21/1/22)
j) A Lancashire County Council survey which aims to identify the need for rural electric car clubs that could
help communities tackle the decline in public transport and reduce their carbon footprints. (Emailed
21/1/22) – Cllr Reed and Cllr Unsworth have responded to the survey in order to register an interest should
pilot schemes be available.
k) Information about the ‘Flood Hub’. (Emailed 24/1/22)
l) Consultation on Lancashire County Council’s proposed budget for 2022/23. (Emailed 24/1/22)
m) The team at Morecambe Bay Partnership write to encourage volunteers to join their projects. (Emailed
24/1/22)
n) The Rural Bulletin online. (Emailed 25/1/22)
o) The Lancashire Resilience Forum (LRF) are gathering information from Lancashire residents to understand
the awareness of risks in their area, the extent to which they feel prepared for these risks and where they
would go to for information on risks and emergencies. (Emailed 28/1/22)
p) Notice of the Parish and Town Council Conference (Highways Special) which will take place on Saturday 19th
March 2022 in The Exchange at County Hall, Preston. (Emailed 28/1/22) – Cllr Reed expressed his interest in
attending.
q) The Lancashire Constabulary are holding meetings regarding working with rural communities. (Emailed
28/1/22) – Cllrs feel the links we have in place already seem to be working well.
r) An update on the preparation of the Climate Emergency Review of the Lancaster District Local Plan 2020-
2031. The City Council has published two Development Plan Documents (DPDs). Representations are now
invited on this partial review. (Emailed 31/1/22) – Cllr Reed to review the document and feedback to Cllrs.
s) News of the Best Kept Village Competition for 2022. (Emailed 31/1/22)
13033. Planning Matters:
a) The following planning applications dealt with under the provisions of Standing Order 25:
i. 22/0006/TPO – 2 Stankelt Road (emailed 13/01/22) – Ash (T004), fell stem two. No objections.
ii. 21/01526/FUL – Mawsons House, Lindeth Road (emailed 13/1/22) – Erection of a single storey side
extension. Principle of extension supported but with concerns and a site visit strongly recommended.
Response emailed to planning 19/1/22.
iii. 21/00412/FUL – Land to the rear of 25 Townsfield (emailed 17/1/22) – Erection of detached 3-bedroom
bungalow and detached 2-storey garage with associated access and hardstanding and installation of
package treatment plant – Supported but with concerns, response emailed to planning 4/2/22 however
following the concerns raised by the residents at the meeting, a revised response will be sent in
considering their concerns.
b) Consideration of the following Planning Applications:
i. 22/00010/FUL – 19 Townsfield (emailed 19/1/22) – Demolition of existing conservatory to the rear
elevation, erection of a single storey rear extension and a covered store to the side, construction of a rear
dormer extension, conversion of existing car port to ancillary living accommodation with erection of a
single storey side and rear extension, excavation of land, construction of retaining walls and steps and
the installation of a package treatment plant. No objections
ii. 22/00072/VCN – 9 St Johns Avenue (emailed 28/1/22) – Erection of one 2-storey dwelling (C3), alteration
of levels and installation of drainage infrastructure (pursuant to the variation of conditions 2, 9 and 10 on
planning permission 20/00640/FUL to amend plans of the house and garage roofs including solar panels
and ridge level. Support with concerns
13034. Clerk’s Report of any Action (other than consideration of Planning Applications) Taken Under the Provisions
of Standing Order 25:
a) Organised a new toilet seat for the men’s toilet, kindly donated by Cllr Fletcher.
b) Following reports of rats being seen on the playpark fields, various contractors have been contacted to give
quotations to resolve the problem. At the time of the meeting, only a price from the Pest Control
Department at LCC had been obtained. The Clerk to continue to obtain comparative quotes and circulate to
Cllr’s for consideration.
13035. Finance:
a) For the monthly check of monies, a bank statement was given to Cllr Unsworth who verified the following:
i. £100.00 – receipt in from the BCCIC (Bittern Countryside Community Interest Company) – contribution
towards the visitor information board
ii. £43,513.34 to be the balance on the Current Account on 1/2/22
b) The payments to the following accounts were approved and required cheques signed:
i. EDF Energy (toilets) – £28.00 BACS
ii. EDF Energy (clock) – £16.00 BACS
iii. Great Oaks Tree Services Ltd (contractor x2mths) – £1,180.80 CHQ:622318
iv. Clarkson’s Electrical Solutions Ltd (toilet repairs) – £588.00 CHQ:622319
v. iClean (toilets) £251.55 CHQ:622321
vi. L.D Challenor (reimbursement for clock face £156 & Emergency Plan sundries £47.18) – £203.18
CHQ:622322
vii. Clarkson’s Electrical Solutions Ltd (toilet repairs) – £362.56 CHQ:622323
c) AONB donation under S137 – A report was received and circulated to Cllrs on 25/1 from the AONB of works
carried out in the Parish throughout the year and with this in mind and the general feeling amongst Cllrs of
their goodwill and cooperation, Cllrs AGREED to a £500 donation.
d) Visitor information leaflet and board – Cllr Unsworth has now distributed the majority of the leaflets and so
has requested another print run from the Welcome Back Fund but has yet to hear back if this will be
possible. The estimated cost to the Parish for the information board will be £108.00 with the AONB covering
the rest. The board has yet to be sent for production as the map has been changed from the initial design
circuited to a more accurate OS map.
e) Repair to wall at war memorial site – A quote received from C Burrows was circulated to Cllrs ahead of the
meeting to pull down and rebuild the damaged wall at the entrance to the memorial site at a total cost for
labour and materials of £130. Cllrs AGREED for the Clerk to accept the quotation and for works to be carried
out as soon as he is able.
13036. Working Groups (WG) and Street Scape Matters:
a) Bus and future transport survey – disappointingly, only 71 residents completed the survey out of a potential
1,300. The general consensus of all those who participated was that as the current bus timetable does not
meet the times of the trains it is therefore not used as often as it should. A positive from the results was that
some respondents indicated they would be willing to be a volunteer driver should such a service be required.
The WG to look at options for a smaller, mini-bus size transport option which uses a mooted national ‘pre-
book’ system.
b) SPID – now in situ and cars witnessed slowing down as they approach. Currently no data is being recorded as
there are issues accessing the software as it appears the programme has not been updated since 1976. Cllr
Higham is currently working to find a solution.
c) Street furniture – the donated bench is still awaiting fitting at the Shore. The Clerk and Cllr Bennett to ensure
the Asset Register is up to date.
d) New recycling bins – item carried forward to the March agenda as Cllr Houghton was not present to discuss.
e) Provision of dog waste bags – a survey will be running for a 4-week period starting mid-April to mid-May to
gauge the resident’s opinion on whether the Parish should continue to supply dog waste bags. Cllr Unsworth
to circulate a draft survey to Cllrs for consideration, ensuring a definitive ‘yes or no’ question is posed.
f) Tree report – Cllr Bond circulated a report to Cllrs ahead of the meeting detailing the following:
i. Meeting with the Forestry Commission – happy with how the woodland is being managed at
Woodwell, made a few suggestions to increase the light which Cllr Bond will put to tender. Cllrs
AGREED.
ii. Playground arboretum – the three trees for replacement, donated by Mr and Mrs Noone, will
hopefully be planted in the coming weeks.
iii. Burton Well Scroggs – some tidying of brashing’s has been done
iv. Sapling delivery – delivery of 130 whips/saplings is expected within the next few weeks, complete
with canes and guards. Once exact delivery date is known, Cllr Bond to advertise for volunteers to
plant along the boundary of the playground and the field with the horses.
v. Planting trees at Corner House – consideration should be given to plant trees near the entrance on
Woodwell Lane once works have been completed to help prevent later encroachment.
13037. Playground Matters – Cllr Bennett circulated a report to Cllrs ahead of the meeting which detailing the
following;
a) Urgent Actions – a cross slat on the junior multi unit was found to be broken during one of the weekly
inspections. A temporary slat was fitted to enable the equipment to be used with a permanent replacement
to be fitted later in February.
b) Quote for necessary maintenance works – a quote was received from Lancaster City Council on 7/2 and
circulated to Cllrs for consideration. The total cost for labour and parts would be net £3,864.47 and whilst
Cllr Bennett believes this to be a fraction of the cost of a commercial supplier, Cllrs AGREED that as this is a
substantial sum, a comparative quote ought to be obtained. Cllr Bennett to approach Playdale and circulate
to Cllrs once received.
13038. The Queen’s Jubilee Celebrations – the Street Decorations WG to discuss options to suggest to the village on
how they could participate in the celebrations. Suggestions of street parties, a Jubilee treasure hunt and encouraging
businesses to dress their shop windows. Cllr Unsworth to include in the Parish Magazine that should any
organisation or resident wish to organise a particular event which could benefit the whole community that they
could apply to the Parish Council for a donation under Section 137.
13039. Suggestions for Future Agenda Items:
a) Health and Safety, Risk Management
b) Progress on the Bright Agreement
c) Closure of footpath on Storrs Lane
d) Public toilet tender
e) Review of January 6th meeting with County Highways
f) Overhanging trees on Stankelt Road
13040. Items for Information:
a) The Bay Search and Rescue will be bringing one of their response vehicles to the Annual Parish Assembly for
the public to view from 17:30. They hope to also bring a drone if available.
b) Cllr Higham has volunteered to lead the Neighbourhood Watch following the departure from the village of
their coordinator.
13041. Date and Time of Next Meeting – The date of the next meeting is to be Monday 7th March 2022. Items for
the agenda and copies of reports to reach the Clerk by 10am on Monday 28th February 2022.
13042. Annual Parish Meeting – Thursday 17th March at 7pm in the Gaskell Hall main room, the speaker will be Mr
Gary Parsons, the Commanding Officer from Bay Search and Rescue.

SILVERDALE PARISH COUNCIL

Councillors are hereby summoned, and members of the public are invited, to attend a Parish Council Meeting on 7th February 2022 at 7.00 pm; to be held at the Institute on Spring Bank, for the purposes detailed in the following Agenda:

1 To receive apologies for absence.

2 To receive declarations of Members’ interests relating to any items appearing on the agenda.

3 To approve the Minutes of an Ordinary Council Meeting held on 6th January 2022.

4 To receive information about matters arising from the Minutes of previous meetings, not covered by the Agenda.

5 To receive a report from the Police if available.

6 To hear matters raised by Members of the Public for future consideration. Time is limited to 3 minutes per person. Note: Members of the Council are not permitted to respond, except to ask questions for the purposes of clarification only.

7 To receive a report of any relevant matters by City Councillor June Greenwell.

8 To receive a report of any relevant matters by County Councillor Phillippa Williamson.
9 To receive verbal reports from any meetings attended by Members or the Clerk: (verbal reports are only acceptable where no decision, or action, is required)
• Review of the Parish Cllr’s meeting with County Highways on 6/1/22.
10 To review work lists.
11 To consider the following items of correspondence received since the last meeting and to determine what, if any, action should be taken:
a) SLDC weekly planning list 6/1, 13/1, 20/1, 26/1/22)
b) Information about a list of Grant makers. (8/1/22)
c) LALC contacts about ‘Village Hall’s Week’. (12/1/22)
d) Information on the Community Food Grant Scheme. (13/1/22)
e) Information about Kickstart; a scheme is open to people aged 16-24 that are currently claiming Universal Credit and are at risk of long-term unemployment. (Emailed 13/1/22)
f) A poster showing a list of organisations which give help to those with mental health issues. Contact the clerk if you wish to receive one via email. (13/1/22)
g) A complaint about water being pumped from a building site, to puddle outside ones house on Lindeth Road. (Emailed 17/1/22
h) Offer of a £300 grant towards another defibrillator from amy@londonhearts.org (Emailed 21/1/22)
i) Notice that the 2021 Annual General Meeting of Broadband for the Rural North Ltd will be held: online on 17/2/22 at 7pm. (Emailed 21/1/22) Audited Accounts available for 2020/21 from 24/2/22.
j) A Lancashire County Council survey which aims to identify the need for rural electric car clubs that could help communities tackle the decline in public transport and reduce their carbon footprints. Kate.Gilmartin@lancashire.gov.uk (Emailed 21/1/22)
k) Information about the “Flood Hub”. (Emailed 24/1/22)
l) Consultation on Lancashire County Council’s proposed budget for 2022/23. (Emailed 24/1/22)
m) The Team at Morecambe Bay Partnership write to encourage volunteers to join their projects. (Emailed 24/1/22)
n) The Rural Bulletin online. (Emailed 25/1/22)
o) The Lancashire Resilience Forum (LRF) are gathering information from Lancashire residents to understand the awareness of risks in your area, the extent to which you feel prepared for these risks, and where you would go to for information on risks and emergencies and would like to hear from you. (Emailed 28/1/22)
p) Notice of the Parish and Town Council Conference (the ‘Highways Special’) which will take place on Saturday 19 March 2022 in The Exchange at County Hall, Preston. (Emailed 28/1/22)
q) The Lancashire Constabulary are holding meetings regarding Working with Rural Communities. The nearest is on 11th February, 9-1pm at Lancaster House Hotel, Lancaster. (Emailed 28/1/22)
r) An update on the preparation of the Climate Emergency Review of the Lancaster District Local Plan 2020-2031. The council has published two Development Plan Documents (DPDs). Representations are now invited on this partial review. (Emailed 31/1/22)
s) News of the Best Kept Village Competition for 2022. (Emailed 31/1/22)
12 Planning Matters:
a) To note the following planning application was dealt with under the provisions of Standing Order 25.
• 22/0006/TPO: Ash (T004) – Fell stem two, 2 Stankelt Road.- No objections.
• 21/01526/FUL: Mawsons House, Lindeth Road. Erection of a single storey side extension.. (Emailed 13/1/22) – Supported with concerns expressed.
• 21/00412/FUL. Land To The Rear Of 25 Townsfield Erection of detached three bedroom bungalow and detached garage with associated access and hardstanding and installation of package treatment plant. (Emailed 17/1/22) Comments by 4/2/22.

b) To consider the following planning applications:
• 22/00010/FUL. 19 Townsfield, Silverdale Demolition of existing conservatory to the rear elevation, erection of a single storey rear extension and a covered store to the side, construction of a rear dormer extension, conversion of existing car port to ancillary living accommodation with erection of a single storey side and rear extension, excavation of land, construction of retaining walls and steps, and the installation of a package treatment plant. (Emailed 19/1/22)
• 22/00072/VCN. 9 St Johns Avenue. Proposal : Erection of one 2-storey dwelling (C3), alteration of levels and installation of drainage infrastructure (pursuant to the variation of conditions 2, 9 and 10 on planning permission 20/00640/FUL to amend plans of the house and garage roofs including solar panels and ridge level) (Emailed 28/1/22)
13 To receive the Clerk’s report of any action (other than consideration of Planning Applications) taken under the provisions of Standing Order 25.

14 Finance
a) To conduct the monthly check of all money received by the Council (bank statements to be inspected by a Member who is not a Bank Signatory, or more than one such Member).
• £100 from BCCIC (information board)
• Current account Balance on 1/2/22 – £43513.34

b) To authorise payment and sign cheques for the following accounts:
• EDF energy (Toilets), £28.37, bacs
• EDF energy (Clock), £24.48, bacs
• Great Oaks Tree Services Ltd, contractor, 2 mths, £1180.80 cheque
• Clarkson’s Electrical Solutions Ltd., toilets, £588.00 cheque
• iclean, toilets, £251.55 cheque
• L D Challenor, reimburse’/clock face £156& EP cups etc, £47.18, =203.18 cheque
• Clarkson’s Electrical Solutions Ltd., toilets, £362.56, cheque

c) To consider the report from the AONB and the amount to donate under S137. (Report emailed to Cllrs. On 25/1/22)
d) To confirm that the visitor leaflet and information for the village information board has gone to the producers and record the expected costs.
e) To consider the quote for repairing the wall at the War Memorial site – £130.

15 Streetscape/Working Groups
a) Results of the Bus and Future Transport survey
b) To update on the SPID installation.
c) Street Furniture – To update on the donated seat for the shore.
d) To consider the location of new recycling bins in the village.

16 Playground – To receive a report on any urgent actions that have been taken and to consider any other issues raised in either the Lancaster CC quarterly, or Parish weekly inspections.

17 To decide whether to have any celebrations for the Queen’s Jubilee other than the beacon. (See email of 13/1/22)

18 To receive items for consideration for a future agenda

19 To note any “Items for Information” (no decisions or action permitted)

20 To note that the date of the next meeting is 7th March 2022; Items for the agenda and copies of reports to reach the Clerk before 28th February.
The Annual Assembly for the Parish is at the Gaskell Hall main room on 17th March at 7pm, the speaker from ‘Bay Search and Rescue’.

Signed:
Denise Challenor, Clerk to the Council, 01524 761824