2022/04/04

Monday 4th April 2022
13068. UNCONFIRMED minutes of an ordinary meeting of the Silverdale Parish Council held on Monday 4th April
2022 at 7pm at the Silverdale Village Institute, Spring Bank, Silverdale.
13069. Present:
Chairman – M. Fletcher (Mike)
Parish Councillors – T. Bond (Terry), J. Ferguson (Jim), S. Higham (Sue)
Clerk – L.D Challenor (Denise)
Deputy Clerk – K. Lambert (Katie)
Lancaster City Councillor – J. Greenwell (June)
13070. Apologies for Absence – Cllr J Bennett, Cllr A Houghton, Cllr K Reed, Cllr E Unsworth,
County Cllr P Williamson due to her attendance at another Parish Council meeting and Police Sergeant L Brown due
to annual leave.
13071. Declarations of Members Interests – none
13072. Approval of the Minutes from the Previous Ordinary Parish Council Meeting – The published unconfirmed
minutes of the ordinary Parish Council meeting held at the Silverdale Village Institute on the 7th March 2022 were
APPROVED by Cllrs and passed to the Chairman for signing.
13073. Matters arising from the Minutes of Previous Meetings, not Covered by the Agenda – none
13074. Report of Relevant Matters from Police Sergeant (PS) L Brown – Whilst PS Brown was unable to attend in
person, he provided the following report via email:
a) 11 Reported incidents in Silverdale – 1 civil eviction, 1 parking issue in a layby, 1 highway disruption, 1
suspicious circumstance in relation to a cloned vehicle, 2 incidents reporting door to door collectors for a
cancer charity, 1 deer poaching on Myers Allotment, 2 domestic disputes, 1 sudden death and 1 anti-social
behaviour.
b) Burglaries – Fortunately there have been no further burglaries since the spate reported last month. PS Brown
thanks residents for being vigilant and reporting suspicious activity which were all fully investigated with no
causes of concern reported back.
c) Extra patrols – Easter will no doubt see an increase of visitors to the area and a request has been made to the
Special Constabulary to put on extra patrols over this period.
13075. Matters Raised by the Public for Future Consideration – a resident attended the meeting and raised the
following:
a) Sadness to hear of the passing of former Parish Council Chairman, John Eden.
b) There should be no parking permitted on Emesgate Lane near to the highly dangerous blind corner onto
Stankelt Road.
c) Lancaster City Planning Department – appears extremely slow.
13076. Report of Relevant Matters from Lancaster City Councillor June Greenwell – Thanks given to City Cllr
Greenwell for her attendance at the meeting to give the following verbal report:
a) Yellow lines in an AONB – There is to be a meeting of AONB executives on the 13th May and City Cllr
Greenwell feels optimistic for it to be an opportunity to instigate change on the ruling of yellow lines within
an AONB. Whilst all agree nobody wants to see yellow lines all over the area, they are however, desperately
needed on Shore Road to ensure access for emergency vehicles, outside the train station and on the corner
of Emesgate Lane where it meets Stankelt Road. Any further comments which Cllrs feel should be reported
at the meeting, to be emailed to Cllr Greenwell before the 13th.

b) Second homes / holiday lets – City Cllr Greenwell will continue to explore the issue and will firstly find out
how many there are in Silverdale, which can be done via the Council Tax department.

c) Housing Ukraine refugees – bureaucracy of the situation taking up an awful amount of time at City Council.
DRB checks on all those offering accommodation, which needs to happen due to the volume of vulnerable
persons on the refugee list, the processing of payments to providers, putting providers and refugees people
in touch with support services providers, logistics and preparing people for a ‘burst’ of work once the
refugees arrive. If Cllrs have any queries, they should refer to the Community Connectors team.
13077. Report of Relevant Matters from Lancashire County Councillor Phillippa Williamson – none
13078. Verbal Reports from any Meetings of Relevance Attended by Members, or the Clerk, Circulated Before the
Meeting and Not Listed Elsewhere in the Agenda – none
13079. Planning Matters:
a) The following planning applications dealt with under the provisions of Standing Order 25:
i. 22/0050/TPO – Beech House, Lindeth Road (emailed 3/3) – Felling of an Ash tree (T1). No objections
ii. 22/0049/TPO – High Bank House, Lindeth Road (emailed 3/3) – Felling of an Ash tree (T1). No objections
iii. 2/0051/TPO – Silver Sapling Camp Site, Chapel Lane (emailed 4/3) – Crown lift by 3m of a Lime tree (T1).
No objections
iv. 22/0056/TPO – Waithmans Barn, Lindeth Road (emailed 11/3) – Felling of an Ash tree (W3). No objections
v. 21/01304/FUL – Old Waterslack Farmhouse, Waterslack Road (emailed 11/3) – Change of use and
conversion from former agricultural shippon to holiday cottage with associated parking space (sui
generis) and installation of a sewage treatment plant. No objections
vi. 22/00227/FUL – 6 Wallings Lane (emailed 9/3) – Erection of single storey side extension including solar
panels, partial demolition of existing garage, erection of replacement garage and installation of air source
heat pump. Support with concerns
b) Consideration of the following Planning Applications:
i. 22/00379/VCN – Land East of 61 Stankelt Road (emailed 23/3) – Demolition of existing garage and
erection of a detached dwelling (C3) with associated driveway and landscaping, erection of a garden
shed, and installation of drainage infrastructure (pursuant to the variation of condition 2 and 4 on
planning permission 21/01277/FUL to amend the plans and roof materials) – referred back to planning
as details not able to be viewed.
ii. 22/00280/FUL – 5 Maryland Close (emailed 23/3) – Erection of a summerhouse. Approve with concern
that the proximity of the building to the boundary wall is a concern and its height and therefore its
associated visual impact needs to be considered.
c) Silverdale Parish Council’s position on holiday homes and holiday lets in terms of imposition of planning
conditions – further discussions are needed within the Planning Working Group following suggestions by
County Cllr Williamson. The matter to be carried forward to next month’s meeting.
d) Update on 21/01526/FUL, Mawsons House Extension – consideration for it to be an Asset of Community
Value to be discussed which may help assist with the application.
13080. Clerk’s Report of any Action (other than consideration of Planning Applications) Taken Under the Provisions
of Standing Order 25 – following the agreed purchase of a new laptop and associated software, there had to be a
necessary upgrade of the Microsoft 365 package as need it to be installed onto laptop and not purely cloud based.
Cllrs AGREED to increase, total cost to be £59.99 per annum.
13081. Correspondence – Receipt of the following items of correspondence were noted:
a) To consider an approach to ‘adopt’ or ‘sponsor’ a bench and to add a plaque in return for a donation, or to
support its upkeep. (Emailed 3/3) – Cllrs AGREED to the principle however more consideration must be
given. Item to be carried forward to next month agenda.
b) SLDC weekly planning list. (Emailed 3/3, 10/3, 17/3, 23/3)
c) FLAG news.
d) A resident supplies a copy of a letter regarding the difficult disposal of garden waste.

e) A resident writes about a tree on Council land threatening their property. (Emailed 21/3) – Cllr Fletcher has
responded to resident that whilst the tree was recently pruned, the contractor spoke with the resident to
confirm the tree not to be of risk. The tree was also deemed safe in the last tree survey carried out in
August 2021. Cllr Ferguson raised concerns that the PC have nothing in writing since recent storms
confirming its safety and put forward for recent professional opinions be put in writing.
f) An email about fly-tipping in the area. (Emailed 22/3)
g) Lancashire County Speed Management team write to inform of their intentions and ask the Parish Council to
complete a questionnaire. (Emailed 23/3)
h) The Clayton Circular – Parish Council Newsletter.
i) AGAR (Annual Governance & Accountability Return) forms and guidance from external auditor. (25/3)
j) The Rural Bulletin. (Emailed 29/3)
13082. Working Groups (WG) and Street Scape Matters:
a) Care of the public toilets tender – the current contractor has expressed an interest in continuing but has yet
to submit an official tender. The Clerk has been in contact with Mark Davis at Lancaster City Public Realm
who suggested he may also be able to assist with the contract. Matter to be carried forward to the next
meeting when formal tenders or other viable options may be available.
b) Parking – the transport working group to discuss whether to put the cones into action once again for the
Easter Bank Holiday weekend or to simply monitor the situation and report any issues to Lancashire
Constabulary after the Easter holidays.
c) Additional publicly accessible defibrillators – matter to be carried forward to next month’s meeting as more
information is required as the age of the defibrillators and their lack of use may be a prohibitor. Cllr
Ferguson will continue to investigate.
d) SPIDS – Cllr Bennett has made a carry box for the batteries using spare pieces of plywood in order to protect
the fragile plastic cases and are top heavy so tend to fall over easily when you are on site doing a battery
changeover.
e) Village notice boards – Cllr Bennett has been liaising with the Healthy Village Communications group and
their range of suggested sizes and locations has been confirmed and some details of the design improved.
The proposed supplier in Staveley is in the process of updating their quotation and once received will
circulate for consideration.
13083. Finance:
a) For the monthly check of monies, a bank statement was given to Cllr Higham who verified the following:
i. £38,562.15 to be the balance on the Current Account on 1/4/22
ii. £42,033.06 to be the balance on the Deposit Account on 1/4/22
b) The payments to the following accounts were approved and required cheques signed:
i. EDF Energy (toilets) – £28.00 BACS
ii. EDF Energy (clock) – £23.00 BACS
iii. L D Challenor (3mths salary + a years holiday pay + expenses) £1,844.14 CHQ:622332
iv. HMRC (PAYE for LDC) £461.04 CHQ:622333
v. FLAG (publication membership) £10.00 CHQ:622334
vi. EcoShield Environmental Services (rat removal from Playground) £157.50 CHQ:622335.
vii. Westmorland Tree Care Ltd (work at Woodwell) £840.00 CHQ:622337.
viii. Sue Higham (reimbursement for new computer + mouse for use by Clerk) £458.98 CHQ:622338
ix. LALC (annual subscription) £336.94 CHQ:622339.
x. John Bennett (noticeboard repair + various materials) £68.24 CHQ:622340
xi. D Wain (contractor – Oct. £550, Nov.£586, Dec.£532.50 + tree work £850) £2,518.50 CHQ:622341
xii. K Lambert, 3mths salary + a years holiday pay + expenses) £488.43 CHQ:622342
xiii. HMRC (PAYE for KL) £272.60 CHQ:622343
c) Donation to The Silverdale Village Institute – Cllrs AGREED to a £150.00 donation under Section 19 to
support the running of the Gaskell Hall which is to be the rescue point in an emergency.
d) LCC Business rates – it was noted that the public toilets have been granted Small Business Relief for 2022-23
and therefore the amount due for 2022/23 is nil.

e) Furness Railway benches for Silverdale train station – Following a request by F.O.S.S (Friends of Silverdale
Station), Cllrs AGREED to contribute to the purchase of 2 ‘Furness Railway’ benches for siting at the train
station. Whilst F.O.S.S will cover the majority of the cost, the benches will be the property of the Parish
Council and will be included in the Asset Register.
f) Watering of planters – Cllrs AGREED to the purchase of a 23-litre wheeled carrier and bilge pump to assist
with the watering of the new flower containers at an approximate cost of £70.00.
13084. Playground Matters – Cllr Bennett circulated a report to Cllrs ahead of the meeting which detailed the
following;
a) Parish Council notice board – Cllr Bennett has made, fitted and painted a new top to the board to replace the
rotten one together with fitting a new weather resistant pin board for the display surface and a new lock to
replace the broken one. Once the support poles and clips arrive, the board can be refixed at the playground.
b) Priority Repairs – Following multiple, unsuccessful attempts to obtain a quote from Lancaster City Council to
replace the worn links on the flat swings and to extend the drop chain length on the zip wire, Cllr Bennett
approached GB Sport and Leisure Ltd for a quote to supply the required materials so that the Parish Council
can then arrange fitting. Cllrs AGREED to the quotation of £275.59 + VAT
c) Non-slip surface for zip wire launch – Cllr Bennett is in discussions with a company that supplies non-slip
surfacing which could be used on our existing Zip launch deck. Once the samples have been received, Cllr
Bennett will report separately on findings and potential costs for consideration.
13085. Items for Information:
a) The planters and flowers from the Welcome Back fund have now been distributed and filled.
b) The Union Jack flag bunting has arrived
c) Wildlife Oasis on A6 have asked for help with a recent rejected planning application by SLDC
13086. Suggestions for Future Agenda Items:
a) Planning conditions for holiday homes / lets.
13087. Date and Time of Next Parish Council Meeting – The date of the next ordinary Parish Council meeting is to be
Thursday 5th May 2022. Items for the agenda and copies of reports to reach the Clerk by 10am on Thursday 28th
April 2022.

SILVERDALE PARISH COUNCIL
Councillors are hereby summoned, and members of the public are invited, to attend the
Parish Council Meeting on 4th April 2022 at 7.00pm, at The Institute, Springbank, Silverdale; for the purposes detailed in the following Agenda:

1 To receive apologies for absence.

2 To receive declarations of Members’ interests relating to any items appearing on the agenda.

3 To approve the Minutes of Ordinary Council Meeting held on 7th March 2022.

4 To receive information about matters arising from the Minutes of previous meetings and not covered elsewhere in the Agenda, and to update the Action Lists.

5 To receive a report from the Police if available.

6 To hear matters raised by Members of the Public for future consideration. Time is limited to 3 minutes per person. It is appreciated if a spokesperson is selected to represent a group with the same subject and one can also chose to write to the clerk in advance.
Note: Members of the Council are not permitted to respond, except to ask questions for the purposes of clarification only

7 To receive a report of any relevant matters by City Councillor June Greenwell.

8 To receive a report of any relevant matters by County Councillor Phillippa Williamson.

9 To receive verbal reports from any meetings attended by Members, or the Clerk (verbal reports are only acceptable where no decision, or action, is required).

10 Planning Matters:
(a) To note that the following Planning Applications were dealt with under the provisions of Standing Order 25:
• 22/0050/TPO Beech House, Lindeth Road : x1 Ash (T1) – Fell (Emailed 3/3/22)
• 22/0049/TPO High Bank House, Lindeth Road: x1 Ash (T1) – Fell (Emailed 3/3/22)
• 2/0051/TPO Silver Sapling Camp Site, Chapel Lane 1 Lime (T1) – Crown lift by 3m. (Email 4/3/22)
• 22/0056/TPO Waithmans Barn, Lindeth Road. 1 Ash (W3) – Fell. (Emailed 11/3/22)
• 21/01304/FUL Old Waterslack Farmhouse, Waterslack Road. Change of use and conversion from former agricultural shippon to holiday cottage with associated parking space (sui generis) and installation of a sewage treatment plant. (Emailed 11/3/22)
• 22/00227/FUL 6 Wallings Lane, Silverdale. Erection of single storey side extension including solar panels, partial demolition of existing garage and erection of replacement garage, installation of air source heat pump. (Emailed 9/3/22)

To consider the following Planning Applications:
• 22/00379/VCN Land East Of 61 Stankelt Road. Proposal : Demolition of existing garage and erection of a detached dwelling (C3) with associated driveway and landscaping, erection of a garden shed, and installation of drainage infrastructure (pursuant to the variation of condition 2 and 4 on planning permission 21/01277/FUL to amend the plans and roof materials) (Emailed 23/3/22)
• 22/00280/FUL 5 Maryland Close. Erection of a summerhouse.(Emailed 23/3/22)

(c) To consider SPC position on holiday homes & holiday lets in terms of imposition of planning conditions.
(d) To Update on Planning Reference: 21/01526/FUL, Mawsons House Extension.

 

11 To receive the Clerk’s report of any action (other than consideration of Planning Applications) taken under the provisions of Standing Order 25:
• Agreed to necessary upgrade of laptop Microsoft package to £59.99 per annum.

12 To consider the following items of correspondence received since the last meeting and to determine what, if any, action should be taken:
a) To consider an approach to ‘adopt’ and sponsor a bench and add a plaque in return for a donation, or to support it’s upkeep. (Emailed 3/3/22)
b) SLDC weekly planning list. (Emailed 3/3, 10/3, 17/3, 23/3)
c) FLAG news.
d) A resident supplies a copy of a letter regarding the difficult disposal of garden waste.
e) (Emailed 14/3/22)
f) A resident writes about a tree on Council land threatening their property. (Emailed 21/3/22)
g) An email about fly-tipping in the area. (Emailed 22/3/22)
h) Lancashire County Speed Management team write to inform of their intentions and ask the Parish Council to complete their questionnaire. (Emailed 23/3/22)
i) The Clayton Circular – Parish Council Newsletter.
j) Agar Forms and guidance from external auditor. (25/3/22)
k) The Rural Bulletin. (Emailed 29/3/22)

13 Working Parties/Streetscape
a) Toilets Tender. To consider the two options suggested.
b) Parking. What if any measures should be taken over the Easter weekend.
c) Defibrillator /First Responder Matters To decide whether to try to use any of the First Responders 8 CFR’s and purchase a housing case for it at a cost of £495. Will there need to be electricity supply at the chosen location?

14 Finance
a) To conduct the monthly check of all money received by the Council (bank statements to be inspected by a Member who is not a Bank Signatory, or more than one such Member)
b) To authorise the following payments:
• K Lambert, 3 mths salary, years holiday pay & exp. £761.03
• L D Challenor, 3 mths salary, years holiday pay & expenses, £1844.14 cheque.
• HM Revenue & Customs only, PAYE for LDC, £461.04 cheque
• FLAG publication membership, £10 cheque
• News from SELRAP. (Emailed 16/3/22)
• EcoShield, rat removal from Playground, £157.50 cheque
• Westmorland Tree Care Ltd, Woodwell work, £840 cheque
• Sue Higham, computer and mouse for Council, £458.98 cheque
• LALC, years subscription, £336.94 cheque
• Mr J Bennett, assorted noticeboard repair ,materials, £68.24
• Mr D Wain, invoices, Oct.£550, Nov.£586, Dec.£532.50, Tree work, £850, Total £2518.50 cheque

a) To consider a donation (under Section 19) to support the running of the Gaskell Hall which is the to be the parishes rescue point in an Emergency.
b) To note the public toilets have been granted small business relief for 2022-23 and therefore the amount due is nil.
c) To consider ordering 2 Furness benches for Silverdale Station; a donation from FOSS will cover most of the cost.
d) To consider buying a 23 litre wheeled carrier and bilge pump for watering new flower tubs at a cost of £70.

15 Playground Matters.
• To receive a report on any urgent actions that have been taken and to consider any other issues raised in either the Lancaster CC quarterly, or Parish weekly inspections.(See reports emailed 28/3, and 29/3/22)

16 To note any “Items for Information” (no decisions or action permitted)

17 To receive items for consideration for a future agenda.

18 To note that the date of the next meeting is Thursday 5th May 2022 it is the Annual Parish Council meeting. Items for the agenda and copies of reports to be with the Clerk by 28th April.

Signed:

Denise Challenor, Clerk to the Council, Tel. 01524 761824