2022/06/06

Monday 6th June 2022
13113. CONFIRMED minutes of an ordinary meeting of the Silverdale Parish Council held on Monday 6th June
2022 at 7pm at the Silverdale Village Institute, Spring Bank, Silverdale.
13114. Present:
Chairman – M. Fletcher (Mike)
Parish Councillors – T. Bond (Terry), J. Ferguson (Jim), S. Higham (Sue), A. Houghton (Tony)
K. Reed (Keith), E. Unsworth (Liz)
Clerk – L.D Challenor (Denise)
Deputy Clerk – K. Lambert (Katie)
13115. Apologies for Absence – Vice Chairman J Bennett due to annual leave and both County Cllr P Williamson and
City Cllr J Greenwell due to illness.
13116. Declarations of Members Interests:
a) Item 13124 a) – Cllr Bond (non-pecuniary)
b) Item 13127 f) – Cllr Houghton (pecuniary)
13117. Approval of the Minutes from the Annual Parish Council Meeting – The minutes of the Annual Parish Council
Meeting held at the Silverdale Village Institute on Thursday 5th May 2022 were APPROVED by Cllrs and passed to the
Chairman for signing.
13118. Matters arising from the Minutes of Previous Meetings, not Covered by the Agenda – none
13119. Report of Relevant Matters from Police Sergeant (PS) L Brown – Thanks given to PS Brown for his attendance
at the meeting to give a verbal report on the reported incidents for Silverdale from the 5th May to 5th June:
a) 11 Reported incidents – 1 anti-social behaviour (Jubilee picnic at the Institute), 1 malicious communications
(strongly opinionated letter to an MP), 3 of a drunk person at the golf club, 1 juvenile assault (black eye to a
guests at a caravan park), 1 sheep worrying on Moss Lane (2 dogs), 1 theft (cable from an out building at
Leighton Moss), 1 missing child (4yrs of age on holiday, wandered off but recovered 20minutes later), 1
criminal damage (smashed window on Wallings Lane at 2am).
b) Questions from Cllrs – recent SPID data circulated to Cllrs showed recorded speeds in excess of 50mph on
Cove Road, Cllr Houghton asked as to whether this data would be of use to the police. As road policing cars are
stationed at Blackpool, their cover is incredibly slender and so only have the availability to attend major
incidents. What is encouraged instead is for communities to engage with the Lancashire Road Safety
Partnership, who will provide information and resources to help them solve their own issues. The more you
make the Partnership aware of the issues within your area, the more resources they can allocate to assist.
One such resource being the Community Road Watch scheme where a PCSO works alongside trained
volunteers with a speeding camera. Cllr Reed highlighted the recent incidents of speeding by the large
agricultural vehicles of farming contractors at this time of year, where several residents have discussed with
Cllrs of their near misses, both as a pedestrian and in their vehicles. PS Brown agreed to call in and speak
with the local farmers to emphasise the need to ensure their contractors adhere to the speed limits and
practise caution when driving around the area.
13120. Report of Relevant Matters from Lancaster City Councillor June Greenwell – Whilst City Cllr Greenwell was
unable to attend, a report was circulated to Cllrs ahead of the meeting:
a) Meetings at City Council – for the last month they have been dominated by the end-of-year Council
Committee Chairs’ reports and voting on Councillors and Chairs appointments to these committees.
b) Mayor’s visit to the Silverdale Grand Jubilee Bake-Off – The Lancaster Mayor, Cllr Joyce Pritchard, wished to
pass on her thanks to all involved in inviting her to what she described as being a ‘totally delightful’ event. If
any organisation in the village wishes to invite the Mayor to a future event they should contact the Town
Hall directly using the mayor@lancaster.gov.uk email address as they have to ensure the Mayor is not
overburdened, free to make a visit and that no part of the District receives a disproportionate number of
visits, but all requests are arranged when possible.
88
Signed:…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. Date:…………………………………
13121. Report of Relevant Matters from Lancashire County Councillor Phillippa Williamson – none
13122. Matters Raised by the Public for Future Consideration – a resident attended the meeting and raised the
following;
a) Concerns that the reports of a man with a knife were not mentioned in PS Brown’s report (PS Brown
confirmed this relates to the reports of a drunk at the golf club and that no knife was found when the
police attended)
b) Thanks given to Cllr Higham who placed the bunting outside the children’s playground as it was thought
disgraceful not to be there in the first place given they are the future and should be actively encouraged to
join in with the patriotism.
c) Electric charging points should not be placed out at the front of the Gaskell Hall as this will restrict the
already limited parking available in the village centre.
13123. Verbal Reports from any Meetings of Relevance Attended by Members, or the Clerk, Circulated Before the
Meeting and Not Listed Elsewhere in the Agenda:
a) 17/05 – Cllr Ferguson attended a committee meeting with the AONB, issue of second / holidays homes was
discussed with the consensus being the situation will get worse before it will get any better.
b) 18/05 – Cllr Unsworth attended a meeting of the Mansergh’s Apprentices Trust which gives grants to
apprentices from the old parish of Warton, which includes the parishes of Silverdale, Warton, the two
Yealands, Borwick, Priest Hutton and Carnforth. Cllr Unsworth was pleased to note that 2 applications from
Silverdale were successful, 1 for an electrical qualification and another for a business admin course at Kendal
College. Discussions were held on how best to promote the availability of the grants to future candidates
and how to approach new businesses to offer opportunities.
c) 25/05 an online meeting with NWAS and the CFR – minutes circulated to Cllrs on 27/5. A very effective
meeting, if another 4 or 6 members can be found, NWAS can provide bespoke training which will overcome
the lengthy waiting time previously faced resulting in volunteers dropping out. There are 4 defibrillators in
the care of the CFRs, ownership of the ones they do not immediately require will be transferred to the
Parish Council and added to the Asset Register. Possible uses include a replacement for the one at the
Gaskell Hall as the pads and batteries are about to go out of date and new ones seem to be very expensive
and difficult to source. The remaining could be stored either inside key buildings, e.g. at the Bowling Club or
the Silverdale Hotel, as its limited access can be programmed into the Emergency Circuit or the Parish
Council could purchase additional cabinets for external locations.
d) 25/05 meeting with Mark Davies, Lancaster City Council CEO – minutes to be available for circulation soon.
Looked at the toilets, will endeavour to find out about the boundaries as this is essential to know before any
plans can be considered. Seemed prepared to listen.
e) 26/05 meeting with Transport Working Group, AONB and NT to discuss improvements in visitor access and
transport around the AONB in Silverdale, minutes to be available for circulation soon. Very useful meeting
with ideas on how to improve connections between public transport and car parks to visitor sites as well as
access for those with disabilities. Suggestions to be added to the Transport Management Plan.
13124. Planning Matters – The following planning applications were dealt with under the provisions of Standing
Order 25:
a) 22/00471/FUL – Silverdale Village Institute (emailed 11/5) – revised plan for storage unit. Timber cladding is
still not a material in the local vernacular and the shallow pitched roof is also not in keeping. While the
open space assessment refers to a temporary building, this is not shown on the application form or in the
description of development. It remains contrary to Policies AS02 and AS08 of the AONB DPD.
13125. Clerk’s Report of any Action (other than consideration of Planning Applications) Taken Under the Provisions
of Standing Order 25 – none
89
Signed:…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. Date:…………………………………
13126. Finance:
a) For the monthly check of monies, a bank statement was given to Cllr Higham who verified the following
receipts and balance on the Current Account:
i. £78,914.25 to be the balance of the account on 27/05/22
ii. £124.55 from EDF Energy (toilets – D/D reduced to £16/mth from 1/7)
iii. £16.41 from EDF Energy (clock)
b) The payments to the following accounts were approved and required cheques signed:
i. EDF Energy (toilets) – £28.00 BACS
ii. EDF Energy (clock) – £23.00 BACS
iii. Water Plus (toilets) – £72.42 BACS
iv. L D Challenor (Microsoft annual subscription) – £59.99 CHQ:622344
v. Thomas Graham (toilet supplies) – £39.82 CHQ:622345
vi. D Wain (contractor) – £140.00 CHQ:622346
vii. iClean Northwest Ltd (toilets x3mths) – £791.27 CHQ:622347
viii. Designworks (Cumbria) Ltd (information board) – £405.60 CHQ:622348
ix. Great Oaks Tree Services (contractor x2mths) – £1,180.80 CHQ:622356
x. P & J Walling (timber/playground) – £120.00 CHQ:622357
xi. Silverdale Church of England School PTA (S137 grant) – £100.00 CHQ:622358
xii. Malcom Richardson (internal audit) – £100.00 CHQ:622359
xiii. Steve Lamb (annual IT support) £150.00 CHQ:622360
c) Defibrillators – following the meeting with NWAS, once the spare defibrillators are transferred into Parish
Council ownership, Cllrs AGREED to the expenditure of up to £500.00 for them to be made useable again.
The money would be to provide new pads and batteries, at approximately £30 and £100 respectively.
Awaiting confirmation from NWAS as to whether a cheaper price for the parts can yet be provided. Whilst
the Cllrs AGREED an external location is preferable, the significant costs to enable this will need to be
planned into the budget. Cllrs AGREED to house the defibrillators internally in key public locations only as a
temporary solution until the next budget.
d) Audit Matters:
i. General Risk Assessment – Cllr Ferguson raised the need for continued water temperature checks given
that there is no hot water storage. The Clerk raised the issue with Lancaster City Council who
confirmed it is best practise to keep it in and confirmed with the cleaning contractor that they are
being carried out. The revised copy, date 6/4/22, was then APPROVED by Cllrs with a note to change
the term ‘memory stick’ for external drive going forward.
ii. Annual Accounts – APPROVED by Cllrs and passed to the Chairman for signing.
iii. Internal Auditors Report – Cllrs APPROVED the Internal Auditor’s report, emailed to all on 30/5
iv. Annual Return – Cllrs APPROVED the Annual Return and passed to the Chairman for the signing of
Sections 1 and 2.
e) Public Inspection of Accounts – the accounts will now be sent to the External Auditor and the period for
public inspection will run from 16th July to 29th July 2022.
13127. Correspondence – Receipt of the following items of correspondence were noted:
a) South Lakeland District Council weekly update (emailed 26/4, 4/5, 11/5, 18,5, 26/4).
b) Notice of a SELRAP member’s meeting (emailed 30/4).
c) Consumer alerts from Lancashire County Council (emailed 5/5).
d) The Gaskell Hall enquire whether the Council can give a grant towards installing two electricity points for
vehicles at a total cost of £3,789 + vat (emailed 9/5) – needs to be part of the wider village strategy and not
looked at in isolation as there may be funding available for such schemes. Cllrs in the Transport Working
Group to co-opt trustees of the Gaskell Hall to join the discussions.
e) Lancaster City enquire whether there are any known issues with Silverdale’s boundaries that need to be
considered for any possible Community Governance Review (emailed 9/5).
f) A resident complains about commercial activities at weekends on Shore Road (emailed 18/5) – The Clerk to
respond that if the activities are happening on the public highway of Shore Road then a Street Trading
Licence would be required but if they are on the car park as this is private land it may be an issue for
Planning but both need to be taken up with Lancaster City Council as the Parish Council have no powers in
this regard.
90
Signed:…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. Date:…………………………………
g) Annual report from Hutton Charity Free Grammar School (emailed 18/5.)
h) The online Rural Bulletin online (emailed 25/5.)
i) Notice that the Co-op has opened a new Community Projects Fund (emailed 26/5) – Parish Council’s are not
eligible to apply.
j) A request to ratify the revised and updated Parish and Town Council Charter, which sets out the relationship
between Lancashire County Council and Parish and Town Councils in Lancashire (emailed 26/5) –
Consultations for comment or documents for approval are not given sufficient lead times for Parish Council
to review properly or gather public opinion. Cllrs suggest at least a 2–3-month lead time to evaluate.
13128. Playground Matters – Cllr Bennett circulated a report to Cllrs ahead of the meeting which detailed the
following;
a) Urgent actions taken – none
b) New issues noted on the Parish Contractor’s weekly inspection reports – Despite previous requests, the area
at the top left-hand side where new tree sprigs were recently planted has been strimmed. As a result,
several of the sprigs and their protective tubes have been either damaged or destroyed. The matter is being
taken up with the grass cutting contractor to not strim within 1 metre of the sprigs.
c) Additional seating / benches – Most of the long-promised “COVID recovery” seating has now been installed
by Lancaster City Council (LCC), just awaiting the picnic table/bench units which should be delivered and
fitted later this month. One point to note, the new benches are relatively lightweight wooden items,
contrary to the recent policy of only buying/installing recycled plastic units and will therefore likely be more
prone to vandalism and require regular, ongoing maintenance.
d) Playground general repairs – LCC have now carried out the essential repairs to the playground equipment,
invoice to follow.
e) Additional LCC budget – During recent discussions as part of the Lancaster City budgeting process, it came to
light that there may be an allowance allocated to each Parish or Town Council within the district to cover the
costs of inspections of their playparks, some maintenance work and perhaps upgrades. Cllr Bennett to
approach the Parish Council’s newly appointed Community Connector to find out more information and how
this may be accessed.
f) Children’s Playground Working Group – will aim to meet during this next month to look at the possibilities
for longer term developments of the Playground.
13129. Working Groups (WG) and Streetscape Matters:
a) Road Safety / Highways – a dead-end road sign to be requested from LCC’s signage department at the
entrance to Clarence Cottages on Stankelt Road as Satnav’s keep directing drivers up there and causing
unnecessary nuisance. Cllr Bond to supply the requirements.
b) Village noticeboards – Cllr Bennett has yet to circulate a quote from P & J Walling in Staveley for
consideration. Cllrs AGREED this must be made a priority and action must be taken at the next meeting to
progress the matter forward.
c) Seating / memorials – An offer emailed on 30/4 to donate a recycled memorial seat for siting at Woodwell.
Cllr Bond confirmed there is space, albeit limited, and will liaise with the doner as to the possible positions. A
2-seater bench is preferable as the larger benches consist of a metal frame which will require ongoing
maintenance.
d) Toilets – Following a site visit by Clarksons Electrical Solutions, their engineer deemed the hand dryer in the
gents toilets to be irreparable and a replacement would be required at a cost of £362.58+VAT. A paper towel
dispenser could be installed at a cost of approximately £12. Cllr Houghton raised concerns this could cause
an increased fire risk so Cllrs AGREED, given the minimal expense and that toilet paper has always been
present, to order a dispenser of paper towels as a trial and monitor the situation.
e) Website maintenance tender for 2022/23 – a draft document was circulated to Cllrs on 23/5 for
consideration. Cllr Unsworth noted that as the new website will be launched at some stage during this next
tender, this aught to be reflected in the document as the responsibilities may change. Cllrs AGREED to the
continuation of the current tender on a quarterly basis, if agreeable by the current provider, until
the new website is launched and a true reflection of works required can be given. Cllr Higham AGREED to
continue to be the contact should any issues occur with Cllr emails until this can be added to the new tender.
91
Signed:…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. Date:…………………………………
13130. Review Survey on the Provision of Dog Waste Bags – the results of the survey were emailed to Cllrs on 16/5
and indicated 68% of the 134 people who completed the survey, 125 of which were resident, were not in favour of
the Parish Council supplying free dog waste bags. Cllrs discussed whether there had been reports of increased dogs
waste and whether the survey is a true representation of the village. As opinions were not unanimous, Cllrs held a
vote on whether to continue to supply free dog waste bags – 4 Cllrs voted in favour, 1 abstention and 2 against
continuing with a provision. Cllrs will discuss at the next meeting how this provision can continue as there is clear
opinion residents do not wish for this to be part of the Council Tax precept. Possible sponsorship from local
businesses will be explored and put forward for consideration.
13131. Contractor Tenders 2022/23 – with only applications being received by the current contractors, Cllrs AGREED
to the following tenders;
a) Parish Maintenance Contractor (including playground inspections) to be D Wain of Countryside Contracting,
Silverdale, at a cost of £4,140 per annum (£23/hr), an increase of £300.
b) Playground Maintenance Contractor – to be J Beig of Great Oak Tree Services, Preston, at cost of £9,760 per
annum, an increase of £4,810.
c) St Johns Avenue and Woodwell Contractor to be J Beig of Great Oak Tree Services, Preston, at cost of £630
per annum, an increase of £90.
13132. Items for Information:
a) Reminder to Cllrs of the meeting of the Transport Working Group and Lancashire County Highways on Friday
10th June at 10:30am.
b) Jubilee Beacon – Cllrs thank Terry Bond, Len Brockbank and Craig McCoy for their efforts in organising the
lighting of a Jubilee beacon at Eves Wood, which saw over 100 people attend.
c) Jubilee Bunting – to stay in-situ until after the Silverdale Arts Trail.
13133. Suggestions for Future Agenda Items:
a) Installation of CCTV to cover the Public Toilets
b) Coastal Footpath and whether objections can be raised following recent incidents
c) Village information boards
d) How to fund the provision of dog waste bags
13134. Date and Time of Next Parish Council Meeting – The date of the next ordinary Parish Council meeting is to be
Monday 4th July 2022. Items for the agenda and copies of reports to reach the Clerk by 10am on Monday 27th
June 2022.

SILVERDALE PARISH COUNCIL

Councillors are hereby summoned, and members of the public are invited, to attend an ordinary Silverdale Parish Council Meeting on Monday 6th June 2022 at 7.00pm, at the Institute, Spring Bank, Silverdale; for the purposes of the following Agenda:
1 To receive apologies for absence.

2 To receive declarations of Members’ interests relating to any items appearing on the agenda.
• Cllr. Terry Bond re: 9a)

3 To approve and sign the Minutes of the Annual Parish Council Meeting held on 5th May 2022.

4 To receive information about matters arising from the Minutes of previous meetings, not covered by the Agenda.

5 To receive a Police Report if available.

6 To receive a report of any relevant matters from County Cllr Phillippa Williamson

7 To receive a report of any relevant matters by City Councillor June Greenwell.

8 To hear matters raised by Members of the Public for future consideration. Time is limited to 3 minutes per person. It is appreciated if a spokesperson is selected to represent a group with the same subject and one can also chose to write to the clerk in advance.
Note: Members of the Council are not permitted to respond, except to ask questions for the purposes of clarification only

9 To receive verbal reports from any meetings attended by Members, or the Clerk (verbal reports are only acceptable where no decision, or action, is required).
• 25th May virtual with NWAS and FR
• 25th May, Green Room with L City Council

10 Planning Matters:
(a) To note that the following Planning Applications were dealt with under the provisions of Standing Order 25:
22/00471/FUL Silverdale Village Institute. Revised plan for storage unit (emailed 11th May).(Response submitted)

(b) To consider the following Planning Applications:- None

11 To receive the Clerk’s report of any action (other than consideration of Planning Applications) taken under the provisions of Standing Order 25.

12 Finance
a) To conduct the monthly check of all money received by the Council and record the balance of the current account to (bank statements to be inspected by a Member who is not a Bank Signatory, or more than one such Member).
• EDF toilets – £123.55 refund, bacs reducing to £16 on 1/7/22
• EDF clock – £16.41 refund.
• Balance of current on 27/5/22 was £78914.25
b) To authorise payment and the signing of cheques for the following accounts:
• EDF clock, £23 bacs
• EDF toilets, £28 bacs
• Waterplus, toilets, £72.42 bacs
• L D Challenor, Mircrosoft annual package, £59.99, cheque 622344
• Thomas Graham, toilet supplies, £39.82 cheque 622345
• D Wain, contractor, £140 cheque 622346
• iclean Northwest Ltd, toilets 3 months, £791.27 cheque 622347
• Designworks, information board, £405.60 cheque 622348
• Great Oaks Tree Services, contractor, March & April, £1180.80 cheque 622356
• P & J Walling, timber/playground, £120, cheque
• Silverdale Church of England School PTA, S137 grant, £100 cheque 622358
• Malcom Richardson, internal Audit, £100, cheque 622359
• Steve Lamb, IT support, £150, cheque 622359

c) To authorise the expenditure of £500 to make the Defibrillators useable. (SEE email of 27/5)

d) Audit Matters. (All documents emailed)
• To approve the General Risk assessment – now revised dated 6/4/22.
• .To approve the Annual Accounts for 2021 to 2022.
• To acknowledge the receipt Internal Auditors Report.
• To approve and sign section 1 and section 2 of the Annual Return.

e) To note that the accounts will now be sent to the External Account and the period for Public Inspection runs from 16th July to 29th July 2022.

13 To consider the following items of correspondence received since the last meeting and to determine what, if any, action should be taken:
a) SLDC weekly update (26/4, 4/5, 11/5,18,5,26/4/22)
b) Notice of a members meeting of SELRAP. (Emailed on 30/4/22)
c) Consumer alerts from Lancashire C Council. (Emailed 5/5/22)
d) The Gaskell Hall enquire whether the Council can give a grant towards installing two electricity points for vehicles at a total cost of £3789 + vat. (Emailed 9/5/22)
e) Lancaster City enquire whether there are any known issues with Silverdale’s boundaries that need to be considered for any possible Community Governance Review. (Emailed 9/5/22)
f) A resident complains about commercial activities at weekends on Shore road. (Emailed 18/5/22)
g) Annual report from Hutton Charity Free Grammar School. (Emailed 18/5/22)
h) The Rural Bulletin online. (Emailed 25/5/22)
i) Notice that the Co-op has opened a new community projects fund.(Emailed 26/5)
j) A copy of the revised and updated Parish and Town Council Charter, which sets out the relationship between Lancashire County Council and Parish and Town Councils in Lancashire has been provided. (Emailed 26/5/22)

14 Playground
• To receive a report on any urgent actions that have been taken and to consider any other issues raised in either the Lancaster CC quarterly, or Parish weekly inspections.
• To consider the cost of £335 to restore the picnic bench in the playground back to an 8 seater (from 6) or replace or let it remain as it is with a safety measure. (Email of 13/5/22)

15 Working Parties/ Streetscape.
a) Road Safety/Highways. – Request provision of a road sign on Stankelt Rd by Clarence cottages.
b) Noticeboards – To decide when these will be replaced/repaired especially the one on The Green.

c) Seating/Memorials.
• To consider the offer of a recycled memorial seat for Woodwell. (Emailed 30/4/22)
• To further consider the plaque on the bench at Jenny Browns point request and set parameters in case of future requests. (Email 5/4/22)
• To consider the request for a memorial tree.(Emailed 12/4/22)
d) Toilets. To consider the quote for replacing the men’s hand dryer at £435.10 or to provide paper towels. Holders are approximately £12.
e) Website. To consider the tender document required for the coming year, amend if necessary and authorise the publication of it. (Draft document emailed 23/5/22)

16 To review the findings of the survey on the provision of dog waste disposal bags and decide whether to continue providing them.

17 To Consider the Contractor Tenders and decide who to offer the work to. (Emailed with Agenda)

18 To note any “Items for Information” (no decisions or action permitted)

19 To receive items for consideration for a future agenda.

20 To note the next Parish Council meeting is on the 4th July, 2022.

Signed:

Mrs L D (Denise) Challenor, Clerk to the Council, 01524 761824