2022/07/04

Monday 4th July 2022
13135. CONFIRMED minutes of an ordinary meeting of the Silverdale Parish Council held on Monday 4th July
2022 at 7pm at the Silverdale Village Institute, Spring Bank, Silverdale.
13136. Present:
Vice Chairman – J. Bennett (John)
Parish Councillors – J. Ferguson (Jim), S. Higham (Sue), A. Houghton (Tony), K. Reed (Keith), E. Unsworth (Liz)
Leader of Lancashire County Council and County Councillor for Lancaster Rural North – P. Williamson (Phillippa)
Lancaster City Councillor – J. Greenwell (June)
Police Sergeant (Lancaster and Morecambe)- L. Brown (Lindsay)
Clerk – L.D Challenor (Denise)
Deputy Clerk – K. Lambert (Katie)
13137. Apologies for Absence – Chairman M. Fletcher due to COVID, Cllr T. Bond due to a prior engagement.
13138. Declarations of Members’ Interests – none
13139. Approval of the Minutes from the Annual Parish Council (PC) Meeting – The minutes of the ordinary Parish
Council meeting held at the Silverdale Village Institute on Monday 6th June 2022 were APPROVED by Cllrs and passed
to the Vice Chairman for signing.
13140. Matters arising from the Minutes of Previous Meetings, not Covered by the Agenda:
a) Item 13081 a) Adopted bench memorial plaque – whilst a stainless-steel plaque with long screws was
stipulated, the plaque appears to be brass with small screws. A caveat needed that the PC will take no
responsibility for the deterioration or loss of any plaques provided.
b) Item 13129 a) No turning sign at Clarence Cottages – County Highways responded to the Clerk’s request
saying that as they do not maintain the carriageway, the private landowner is responsible for any signs
relating to the vehicular access and turning. Equally they do not place signs indicating access only to private
addresses. Cllrs feel the matter needs pursuing further and give examples of Highway signs at the entrance
to private roads to ensure the decision is correct. Suggestion of a dead-end notice rather than no turning.
c) Item 13132 c) Jubilee bunting – removal to be arranged and then stored by Cllr. Unsworth for future events.
13141. Report of Relevant Matters from Police Sergeant (PS) L. Brown – Thanks given to PS Brown for his
attendance at the meeting to give a verbal report on reported incidents in Silverdale from the 5th June to 5th July:
a) 4 reported incidents – 1 cloned number plate (Burton Services), 1 concern for safety, 1 abandoned car (since
removed), 1 cold caller on Bottoms Lane (later found to be a local resident)
b) SPID data – PS Brown passed on the recent SPID data from Cove Road onto his colleagues at Traffic
Management for analysis as the Department for Transport set criteria for how the Police and Highway
Authorities assess speeding concerns. They use a figure called the 85th percentile speed and whilst there
were some high speeds recorded, the 85th %ile for both directions is shown as 21mph in the data. This
figure is considerably lower than the ‘trigger point’ for Police action which is 25mph. Whilst he accepts there
were some high speeds, the overall picture is that 85 % of vehicles are within an acceptable tolerance.
Despite this, PS Brown has requested for a Community Road Watch on Cove Road where either a laser would
be set up in an appropriate place to capture data only and any offenders would then be sent an advisory
letter. Another option would be where drivers are pulled over at the scene by a PCSO to discuss their excess
speed and its associated dangers, sometimes in the presence of school children has also proven to be very
effective. PS Brown will try and ensure the scheme is implemented in Silverdale, in the meantime the PC will
continue to gather data from the SPID to gain a better understanding of the day or time of day it would be
most effective.
93
Signed:…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. Date:…………………………………
13142. Matters Raised by the Public for Future Consideration – 2 residents attended the meeting and raised the
following:
a) Silverdale United Charities – should any residents be struggling with the effects of the rising costs of living
then please contact the charity for assistance as there is money available to help. Just send a note explaining
your needs to the Secretary, Alan Greenwell – 15 Cove Orchard LA5 0BF / silverdaleunitedtrust@gmail.com
b) Planning application at 25 Townsfield – a decision was expected by the 23rd May but as yet nothing has been
published, finds this to be appalling.
c) Air Ambulance – following an incident last weekend which saw a helicopter circling for a considerable
amount of time trying to find a suitable place to land near Cove Road, could a map not be devised to assist in
the future. (Cllr. Houghton noted that the PC posed this idea some years ago however the air ambulance
service responded saying it is entirely the pilot’s decision on where to land and a map of approved landing
sites would not be appropriate)
d) Dog waste bag provision – disagrees fervently with the Cllr’s decision to go against the results of the survey.
13143. Report of Relevant Matters from Lancaster City Councillor June Greenwell – City Cllr. Greenwell circulated a
report to Cllrs ahead of the meeting detailing the following:
a) Fly tipping – City Councillors unanimously voted to intensify work to prevent fly-tipping and the dumping of
unwanted household items in ‘back streets’. Silverdale has experienced litter dumping on The Shore in past
years, and some fly tipping during COVID, but as far as City Cllr. Greenwell knows, it is not a major concern in
and around Silverdale. Cllr. Bennett mentioned that there have been incidents reported at the end of
Waterslack Road by the entrance to the former quarry but these are promptly reported by the residents
then swiftly cleared by LCC.
b) Hardship Fund – In response to reports from voluntary organisations working in their local communities with
residents feeling the pressures of the rising costs of living, LCC has now established a ‘Hardship Fund’. It has
already had a ‘soft launch’ to enable LCC to iron out any issues and problems before a large volume of
applications are received. City Cllrs have been given details on how people can apply and qualify for support
however when Cllr. Greenwell tried making a ‘mock’ application, she found the process decidedly
problematic and so has given her feedback to LCC. Once she is confident the process is reasonably straight
forward, she will send through details to pass onto residents in the Parish.
13144. Report of Relevant Matters from Lancashire County Councillor Phillippa Williamson – County Cllr. Williamson
joined the meeting at 8pm following her attendance at Arkholme’s Parish Council meeting and discussed the
following:
a) 10/6 meeting with County Highways and Cllr. C Edwards – believed the meeting to be a success and that
details of a follow up meeting with regards the bus service should be through in the next few days as all the
people are now lined up who need to attend. Cllr. Unsworth has asked County Cllr. Williamson to push
National Government to consider setting a low-speed limit through all National Parks and AONB areas such
as Silverdale and Arnside.
b) Residents letter regarding mobile phone signal – investigations are still ongoing, County Cllr. Williamson has
had a response but found it to be inadequate, so will continue to pursue. Will update the PC once more
information is available.
13145. Introduction of Adam Kirkby, the new Community Connector Manager at Lancaster City Council – Adam will
be a point of contact within City Council to help enable swift action of concerns or projects for the PC. They are only
a small team but are there to connect communities together and ensure the services and help within LCC are
promoted and utilised where needed. Cllr. Unsworth raised the concern that notifications about initiatives and
funding often come though too late for our community, as one of the main routes of communication is through the
Parish Magazine publication which has a 6-week lead time. A recent example of this was the information regarding
the Lancaster District Hardship Fund; by the time this goes out to our residents, it no doubt will already have been
oversubscribed. Cllr. Unsworth has asked if they could pass on initial information about such schemes as soon as
they know, rather than when they are ready to go live, as it would give the PC enough time to disseminate the
information to residents for them to be able to have enough time to respond. Adam agreed this to be a valid point
which he had not thought of previously and so will pass the information onto his team.
94
Signed:…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. Date:…………………………………
Cllr. Bennett then raised the issues the PC has had in the past trying to reach the right people within LCC, particularly
within the Public Realm and Planning departments and the frustrations at reaching only full mailboxes. Adam agreed
this was not acceptable and will pass on the feedback.
Adam reiterated that a Connecter has as much influence as a Parish Councillor, but it is always worth letting him
know of any issues as he may know of a different resource or route. Cllr. Reed then enquired if LCC have an internal
directory or intranet system they would be able to share privately with the PC, giving the departmental structure,
names, responsibilities and contact details of key staff. Adam will look into the matter and advise as appreciates the
value this would be to the PC.
13146. Verbal Reports from any Meetings of Relevance Attended by Members, or the Clerk, Circulated Before the
Meeting and Not Listed Elsewhere in the Agenda:
a) 10/06 – The Transport Working Group met with County Cllr. C Edwards, the Operations Manager for County
Highways and Transport E Mills, alongside representatives from the National Trust and the AONB to discuss
a variety of transport issues including Highway reporting and planning, managing an increase in visitor
numbers, parking and the bus provision, both current and future. One item that is hoped to be actioned
soon is for an AONB Speed Awareness sign at each entrance to the village advising drivers that they are
entering an AONB and so should drive with caution. Minutes have yet to be circulated but Cllrs felt the
meeting to be very beneficial and look forward to a positive working relationship with the department.
b) 22/06 – Cllr Ferguson and Cllr Reed attended a site meeting at Trowbarrow with the AONB to discuss access
for the disabled, summary emailed to Cllrs. Proposed tramper routes within Trowbarrow were walked and
areas where improvements were needed discussed. The intention is to open these routes later in the year,
the PC will be notified of the finalised routes and opening details and once opened, the impact on the area
will be monitored.
13147. Planning Matters – The following planning applications were dealt with under the provisions of Standing
Order 25:
a) 22/00368/FUL – Willodene, Shore Road (emailed 9/6) – Excavation of land and erection of a part 2 storey,
part single storey rear extension, with patio above. Installation of external steps, alterations to existing
access, construction of a dormer extension to rear elevation of a detached garage. Support with concerns.
b) 22/00695/FUL – 19 Townsfield (emailed 10/6) – Demolition of existing conservatory to the rear elevation,
erection of a single storey rear extension and a covered store to the side, construction of a rear dormer
extension, conversion of existing car port to ancillary living accommodation in association with 19 Townsfield
with erection of a single storey side and rear extension. Excavation of land, construction of retaining walls
and steps and installation of a package treatment plant. Support with concerns.
13148. Clerk’s Report of any Action (other than consideration of Planning Applications) Taken Under the Provisions
of Standing Order 25 – reacted to the report of Japanese Knotweed at the playground by ensuring the images were
distributed swiftly to Cllrs and the Parish Contractor for verification. Fortunately, no further actions were required.
13149. Working Groups (WG) and Streetscape Matters:
a) Village noticeboards – Cllr. Bennett circulated a quote from P&J Walling of Staveley to Cllrs ahead of the
meeting for supplying 3 notice boards at an initial cost of £260.15 + VAT each. The boards would be made of
Accoya hard wood, which has a guarantee of 50 years above ground plus Tricoya board, which is an
extremely durable MDF. Additional costs would also be required for painting, fixing and a durable, pinnable
surface, which could bring the total cost per board up to £600. Cllr. Bennett believes the durability of the
boards for such a length of time justifies this initial high outlay. Cllrs AGREED in principle to the quote
however a final cost per board is required before approval. Additionally, since the siting of the third board at
the top of Cove Lane is a new position and permission has yet to be sought, Cllrs AGREED at this stage to
continue with the costs for 2 boards only.
b) Toilets – the WG believe the cleaning standards are still hit and miss. Cllrs AGREED that whilst the standards
do not warrant their closure, alternatives need to be explored should the current tender come to an end.
95
Signed:…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. Date:…………………………………
13150. Playground Matters – Cllr. Bennett circulated a report to Cllrs ahead of the meeting which detailed the
following:
a) Urgent actions taken – possible presence of Japanese Knotweed was reported on 23/6. Checks were then
made by Cllr Bennett and confirmed by the Parish Contractor at Great Oaks that this was not the case and
looked to be just a Poplar root sucker.
b) New issues noted on the Parish Contractor’s weekly inspection reports – a depression due to wear is forming
on the ground adjacent to the gate out of the toddler’s area by the junior multigym. Although not yet a
hazard, it could develop into a potential trip point. The Parish Contractor has been briefed to monitor the
area and to fill and seed when growing conditions permit.
c) Ivy on the joining wall of the horse field – The Parish Contractor, D Wain, has advised the most effective
method would be to remove ivy from the top of the wall then apply a suitable herbicide. The cost of such
spray would be £55 and would be enough for 3 sprays if required. Cllrs AGREED to the works, the Clerk to
inform the owners of the adjoining field to ensure the horses are kept well away when the works are carried
out.
d) Lancaster City Council (LCC) update – Cllr. Bennett has been informed LCC has carried out a full quarterly
inspection in the last few weeks but as yet no report has been received. Cllr. Bennett will summarise and
circulate to Cllrs once received. In addition, Cllr. Bennett has heard LCC has now commissioned an annual,
ongoing independent inspection by ‘The Playground Inspection Company Ltd’ of all the playgrounds in the
district. Apparently, the company has carried out an inspection at Silverdale but again, as yet, their report
has not been received.
13151. Finance:
a) For the monthly check of monies, a bank statement was given to Cllr. Higham who verified the following
receipts and balance on the Current Account:
i. £76,273.95 to be the balance of the account on 17/6/22
ii. £5.00 from anonymous doner (towards the upkeep of the toilets)
b) The payments to the following accounts were approved and required cheques signed:
i. EDF Energy (toilets) – £28.00 BACS
ii. EDF Energy (clock) – £23.00 BACS
iii. First Rescue & Training Supplies Ltd (pads/batteries for defibs) – £300.00 CHQ:622361
iv. Defib Store Ltd (replacement cabinet door) – £72.00 CHQ:622362
v. iClean (Northwest) Ltd (toilets – reduced from £288.16) £180.00 CHQ:622364
vi. L D Challenor (salary + expenses x3 mths) – £1,330.45 CHQ:622365
vii. HMRC (PAYE, LDC £302.82 & KL £98.60) – £401.42 CHQ:622366
viii. Great Oaks Tree Services Ltd (contractor) – £590.40 CHQ:622367
ix. Thomas Graham & Sons Ltd (toilet supplies £43.91+ £89.57) – £133.48 CHQ:622368
x. J Bennett (various repair materials) – £78.14 CHQ:622369
xi. Clarkson Electrical Solutions Ltd (call out to toilet hand dryer) – £68.40 CHQ:622370
xii. K Lambert (salary + expenses x3 mnths) – £452.04 CHQ:622371
c) Accounts from 1/4/22 to date – the accounts were APPROVED and signed by the Vice Chairman.
d) Financial statement for July 2022 – the statement was APPROVED and signed by the Vice Chairman.
e) Funding sources for dog waste bags – Cllr. Unsworth emailed local veterinary practises and Holgates Caravan
Park asking if they would like the opportunity to sponsor the provision of free dog waste bags in Silverdale.
Carnforth Pet Care has replied very positively and has offered the Parish Council £1k towards the costs. The
4 dispensers currently in-situ in will carry details of the practice and its services. Cllrs to AGREED to accept
the offer and to discuss various options on the best way to move forward.
13152. Correspondence – Receipt of the following items of correspondence were noted:
a) South Lakeland District Council weekly planning update (emailed 8/6, 16/6, 23/6)
b) A resident writes about the lack of a phone signal in her area and worries about road safety (emailed 30/5) –
passed to County Cllr. Williamson who is currently investigating
c) LALC e-newsletter (emailed 1/6)
d) Planning and Housing Strategy latest news – Lancaster South Area Action Plan (AAP) invite the PC to have
their say about the proposals (emailed 16/6)
96
Signed:…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. Date:…………………………………
e) Consumer alerts from Lancashire County Council (emailed 18/6)
f) Details of 2 ongoing surveys focused on parenting support in Lancashire (emailed 24/6)
g) Keer to Kent publication
13153. Community First Responders (CFR):
a) Defibrillators – Cllr. Houghton has now successfully refurbished 2 of the spare defibrillators from the CFR’S. 1
has been placed in the office of the Silverdale Hotel which will be available daily to a 999 call from 11am to
11pm. The other will be needed to replace the device at the Gaskell Hall as Cllr. Houghton has been unable
to locate the spares for this particular model. Cllr. Houghton has also acquired a free external box which just
needs a new door. However rather than this be used as an additional box, it appears the keypad on the box
at the Gaskell Hall is beginning to fail and as initial searches for a replacement keypad is looking to be as
expensive as a new box, it may have to be used as a replacement initially. If / when it could be used for an
additional defib, any external location would need to have a reliable mobile phone signal, which currently
limits the options. Thanks given to Cllr. Houghton for all his efforts.
b) Monthly checking of the defibrillators – following the resignation of CFR V. Cartledge, Cllr. Houghton will be
carrying out the monthly checks of the defibrillators until a replacement CFR is found.
13154. Items for Information:
a) BT telephone exchange – Cllr. Unsworth has successfully engaged with a contact within the Property
Portfolio Management Services at BT to find out the possibilities of acquiring / renting the land for use as a
potential central village car park with EV charging points.
b) UK Shared Prosperity Fund – Cllr. Unsworth submitted a bid to LCC for a share of its £5.3m allocation from
central government. The money would be used to commission surveys to provide hard evidence to
Lancashire County Council and Lancaster City Council of what is required over the next 10 years to improve
pedestrian and visitor access within the village and services (including public transport) as well as a
projection of the increase in visitor numbers to Silverdale, particularly with reference to the proposed Eden
North project.
13155. Suggestions for Future Agenda Items:
a) Update on the UK Shared Prosperity Fund bid
b) New website update
c) Land at the BT telephone exchange
d) Latest SPID results
e) Net zero carbon targets
13156. Date and Time of Next Parish Council Meeting – The date of the next ordinary Parish Council meeting is to be
Monday 1st August 2022. Items for the agenda and copies of reports to reach the Clerk by 10am on Monday 25th
July 2022.

SILVERDALE PARISH COUNCIL
Councillors are hereby summoned, and members of the public are invited, to attend an Ordinary Silverdale Parish Council Meeting on Monday 4th July 2022 at 7.00pm, at the Institute, Spring Bank, Silverdale; for the purposes of the following Agenda:
Agenda

1. To receive apologies for absence.

2. To receive declarations of Members’ interests relating to any items appearing on the agenda.

3. To approve the Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 6th June 2022.

4. To receive information about matters arising from the Minutes of previous meetings, including the review of Councillors the Actions Summary, and contractors job list, which is not otherwise covered by the Agenda.

5. To hear matters raised by Members of the Public for future consideration. Note: Members of the Council are not permitted to respond, except to ask questions for the purposes of clarification only.

6. To receive a report from the Police if available.

7. To receive a report of any relevant matters from County Councillor Phillippa Williamson.

8. To receive a report of any relevant matters by City Councillor June Greenwell.

9. To introduce our guest Adam Kirkby from Lancaster City Council (LCC) as our new Community Connector Manager. He is now our single point contact at LCC.

10 To receive verbal reports from any meetings attended by Members, or the Clerk (verbal reports are only acceptable where no decision, or action, is required).

11 Planning Matters:
(a) To note that the following Planning Applications were dealt with under the provisions of Standing Order 25:
• 22/00368/FUL Willodene, Shore Road. Excavation of land and erection of a part 2 storey, part single storey rear extension , with patio above. Installation of external steps, alterations to existing access, construction of a dormer extension to the rear elevation of a detached garage. – Support with Concerns.
• 22/00695/FUL 19 Townsfield. Demolition of existing conservatory to the rear elevation, erection of a single storey rear extension and a covered store to the side, construction of a rear dormer extension, conversion of existing car port to ancillary living accommodation in association with 19 Townsfield with erection of a single storey side and rear extension. Excavation of land , construction of retaining walls and steps and installation of a package treatment plant. – Support with Concerns.

(b) To consider the following Planning Applications:- none

12 To receive the Clerk’s report of any action (other than consideration of Planning Applications) taken under the provisions of Standing Order 25.
• Reacted to the information that we may have Japanese Knotweed in the Cove Road playground. This was fortunately a false alarm.

13 Working Groups/Streetscape – To update on any items covered by this title.
• Noticeboards – To consider the quote of £260.15 + vat for each noticeboard from P&J Walling Joiners.
• Toilets. To review the service now given following the meeting with the provider.

14 Playground
• To receive a report on any urgent actions that have been taken and to consider any other issues raised in either the Lancaster City Council’s quarterly, or Parish weekly inspections.
• To acknowledge the action required to remove the ivy on the wall bordering the horses field, without disturbing the structure of the wall. (Task given to D Wain)

15 Finance
(a) To conduct the monthly check of all money received by the Council and record the current account balance as £76,273.95 on 17/6/22.
Donation towards toilet upkeep – £5
(bank statements to be inspected by a Member who is not a Bank Signatory, or more than one such Member).

(b) To record/authorise payment and sign any cheques for the following accounts:

• EDF Energy, clock, £23, Bacs
• EDF Energy, toilets, £28 Bacs
• First Rescue & training supplies Ltd, Pads & batteries/defibs £300, cheque
• Defib Store Ltd, cabinet door, £72 cheque
• Iclean (Northwest) Ltd, toilets, £180 cheque
• L D Challenor, salary/expenses 3 months, £1330.45 cheque
• K Lambert, salary/expenses 3 months, £452.04, cheque
• HMRC, paye for LDC – £302.82 & KL – £98.60, total £401.42
• Great Oaks Tree Services Ltd., contractor, £590.40 cheque
• Thomas Graham & Sons Ltd, toilets, £43.91+ £89.57 = £133.48, cheque
• J Bennett, £78.14 cheque
• Clarkson’s electrical Solutions Ltd, hand dryer/toilets, £68.40 cheque

(c) To receive and approve the accounts to date from 1/4/22 and the Financial Statement for July 2022.

(d) To discuss ways of funding free, bio-degradable, dog waste bags for the village and who will fill up the dispensers.

16 To consider the following items of correspondence received since the last meeting and to determine what, if any action should be taken:
a) SLDC Weekly planning update (Emailed 8/6, 16/6,23/6/22 )
b) A resident writes about the lack of a phone signal in her area and worries about road safety. (County Cllr. Williamson investigating) (Emailed 30/5/22)
c) LALC E-News, (Emailed 1/6/22)
d) Planning and Housing Strategy Latest News – June 2022 Lancaster South Area Action Plan (AAP) invite the Council to have their say about the proposals. (Emailed 16/6/22)
e) Consumer alerts from County Council. (Emailed 18/6/22)
f) Details of two ongoing surveys focused on parenting support in Lancashire. (Emailed 24/6/22)
g) Keer to Kent publication.

17 First Responders.
• To update on the First Responder Service in Silverdale and location and condition of the defibrillators.
• To record who will be taking over the checking of the Defibrillators following the resignation of Vicky Cartledge.

18 To note any “Items for Information” (no decisions or action permitted)

19 To receive items for consideration for a future agenda.

20 To note that the date of the next meeting is August 1st 2022 Items for the agenda and copies of reports to reach the Clerk by 26th July.

Signed:
Denise Challenor (Mrs)
Clerk to the Council. Tel. 01524 761824